Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

So I have been interested in dentistry for awhile, however my stats are pretty low and after reading student doc forums I became depressed and just let go of the idea. Then I began scrambling for other health care professions. My gpa is around a 3.0 ogpa and a 2.8 science gpa, my post bac gpa is around 3.4 taking like 5 classes. I did some post bac work and pretty much covered all the pre-requirements for both profession. I didn't work that hard in undergrad and my gpa could be boosted up to 3.15 from just one class which was a 5 unit. I haven't taken either the DAT or the GRE yet.

As for PA I work as a chiropractic assistant which covers the hand on experience. I know it is not ideal for Physician assistant however, I have friends who have only volunteer experience and got accepted. Now to me PA seems the most practical choice. 2-3 years of schooling with less than 100k in debt and graduating with possible 6 figures. PA seems really good, however I am more interested in dentistry. I can't tell if I want to be a dentist or I just like the idea of being a dentist. I shadowed my dentist and it was basically drill, fill, and bill, but when I go to my other cosmetic dentist he has a successful practice. Something that I want to have. I have this crippling fear that I will fail and flunk out with loads of debt. That I am not smart enough. Then I thought to myself like **** it I am basically studying the same thing, why not go for what I really want to do instead of settling.

Being a dentist would force me to go through alot of hoops and hurdles. If I don't get in then I have to think about what I need to do. I probably have a better shot getting into a pa school. I live with my parents and they basically said you have one more year and you will get kicked out. Does being a dentist is as glamorous as it seems? PA is the most practical choice, but I picture being a PA would be working long hours, working really hard for my money, and working for someone else. For dentist is it worth being in less than 400k debt to make a starting of 120k salary or go with PA with less than 100k debt and make 80k plus. I am so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 04:49 PM

50,115 posts, read 35,769,056 times
OP, you don't say anything about where your talents and strengths lie...do you have good people skills, could you calm people down and take charge in an emergency, are you good with your hands (you will have to suture people as a PA and you could cause someone permanent scars if you don't do it well, for instance), do you want someone's life in your hands? Chances are you'd be in an ER at some point in schooling as a PA...could you handle that?

With dentistry, same thing...can you convince a terrified and screaming child she's alright in your hands, and be able to work on her while she's squirming? Do you have an excellent eye for detail?

I ask because all health care is not the same nor do they demand the same skills and talents. I'm an occupational therapist, but could not handle nursing or PA because I'm not a blood and guts person, I don't want to be in a position where I could kill someone intubating them nor do I want to put catheters into them.

I just don't think health care is something someone should go into based only on employment outlook and salary. What are the talents you bring to the table, and what field do those fit into best? That's how you pick a career, JMO.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,175,045 times
Your GPA will not get you into dental or PA school so you probably don't have to worry about either profession....

Old 08-14-2015, 10:35 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,648,317 times
Which do you like and go from there. You can be a dentist if you so choose. Good luck in your endeavors.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:14 PM

50,115 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your GPA will not get you into dental or PA school so you probably don't have to worry about either profession....
That may be true. My GPA was 3.96 when I applied to O.T. school. GPA does count more than any other factor, because if they admit you and you flunk out a year into the program, they've lost the tuition for that seat in that class for the duration of the length of the program. Number one thing they want to know is can you hack it academically.

It just concerns me a bit that OP lists many reasons for desiring both professions, but none of them mention any sort of a passion or desire for helping people in any specific way, they're just about salary and time off, debt amount, etc. No one should go into health care solely for those reasons. If you do it without loving it, you won't be very good in it and you'll despise going to work after a while (and the patients will suffer for it).

Old 08-15-2015, 12:33 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,781,061 times
Do not go into healthcare for the money.

The rich golfing doctor legend is not true for the vast majority of doctors, and seeing how my dentist hustles I'm sure his life is comparable.

Can you work, like really work non stop for 12 hours a day six days a week? If not medicine isn't for you, no matter the pay.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:29 AM

394 posts, read 431,071 times
Honestly,

IF you can get into a PA school I would do it... PA has a MUCH MUCH better work/life balance than MD(generally depending on specialty) and the duration of PA school isn't that long

However, getting admitted to a PA program is probably the hardest of all the medical professions honestly

Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 AM

396 posts, read 406,238 times
As acerbic as it is, those people mentioning your GPA are telling you the truth. Some of the GPAs I have seen turned away from professional and medical programs is staggering. For many of these fields anything less than a 3.7 is unacceptable, and your performance in science courses is going to give them pause.

Unlike others, I am not going to say you can't do it, because you can. There are ways that you could both improve that GPA and strengthen your application in other areas, but you need to address those deficiencies before you jump to step B.

Likewise, as others have said, you aren't going to last if you are chasing dollar signs. The rigor and demands of studying, training, and actually practicing both of these fields is well beyond what many people presume.

My recommendation: Sit down and think long and hard about what interests you and based on those interests what is a viable career path.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM

394 posts, read 431,071 times
I believe the OP

MAY have a shot at dental school with a RIDICULOUS DAT... Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't dental school kind of like law school where a good entrance exam can hide a bad GPA??

Furthermore you would need pretty much ALL As and on "recent" attempts for classes like

organic 1 and 2
Gen Chen 1 and 2
Anatomy & phys 1 and 2

I think your recent performance and a good DAT can give you a decent shot, also lots of ECs

I apologize I hadn't seen your GPA until now... But honestly it isn't good enough... Atleast not for PA , so you probably won't have a shot at PA school honestly

Old 08-16-2015, 02:30 PM

396 posts, read 406,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
I believe the OP

MAY have a shot at dental school with a RIDICULOUS DAT... Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't dental school kind of like law school where a good entrance exam can hide a bad GPA??

Furthermore you would need pretty much ALL As and on "recent" attempts for classes like

organic 1 and 2
Gen Chen 1 and 2
Anatomy & phys 1 and 2

I think your recent performance and a good DAT can give you a decent shot, also lots of ECs

I apologize I hadn't seen your GPA until now... But honestly it isn't good enough... Atleast not for PA , so you probably won't have a shot at PA school honestly
That depends heavily. I can tell you confidently that most top 20 law schools aren't going to take someone with a 3.0 GPA and a perfect LSAT score. This is similarly true, to a much greater degree, of medical programs.

It is, however, better than nothing, and generally good advice. Again, I think the OPs chances are slim, but there are things he or she could do to compensate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities