Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM

358 posts, read 282,461 times

Advertisements

My undergrad degree in Sociology was only 2.68 GPA unfortunately due to various reasons (such as switching majors twice from accounting/business, not knowing about ratemyprofessor, taking hard classes that aren't needed, etc.) and I plan on being certified teacher because I dream on becoming a teacher. My state's minimum GPA requirement is currently 2.75 but starting Sept 2016 it will be raised to 3.0. However, before Sept 2016 those who have over 2.5 GPA could still get certified if I score higher than normal passing grade on the praxis exam due to GPA "flexibility". I plan on becoming certified in Social Studies and/or ESL and possibly Special Ed (that's where most job openings are)

Do you think I should just study very hard for the social studies exam and re-take the exam until I pass it hopefully by/before June 2016, or should I get an "easy" second undergrad degree perhaps in History just to raise my GPA to over 3.0 and then I could at least be able to get certified in ESL where no praxis exam is required just in case I never pass the social studies part? I'm not the best test taker even if I know the topic well and know how to teach well with plenty of substitute teaching and tutoring experience

Even applying for grad school is impossible because they all require 3.0 GPA minimum. I truly don't want to go back to school because of time, money and effort but sometimes you have no choice

The problem also is that I work full-time 9-5 job so I don't want to quit work either.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,484,223 times
Just...no.

Figure out what you need to score to pass the exam and study your rear end off for it. DO NOT get a second bachelor's degree.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:43 PM

358 posts, read 282,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Just...no.

Figure out what you need to score to pass the exam and study your rear end off for it. DO NOT get a second bachelor's degree.
Good advice. Curious why?

Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,177,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Unless you want to teach with it it'll be pointless, and you are much better off (after passing the certification process) getting a master's degree which will translate to higher pay. A second bachelor's won't do much.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:43 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,787,632 times
You'll save time and money working on acing your exams.

If you do go back to school, change your view on the reasons why your GPA is a 2.68. It's not because the earth was in perfect alignment with the sun, or because the CERN fired up, it was your doing. Take responsibility for your previous shortcomings and go at it with a can do attitude, because until you do that there will always be a scapegoat.

I am the reason I have the GPA I have, yes I had some professors who seemed to be a bit biased, but I never put myself beyond reproach either, so those grades are mine.

So take ownership and you'll do much better next time.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,484,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Because bumping up your GPA a few tenths of a point is not a good return on the tens of thousands of dollars you will need to invest on a second degree. Pass the test. After a year or two in the workforce no one will ever ask you about your GPA again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities