Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:37 AM
92A 92A started this thread

21 posts, read 64,452 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between the two?
Would some be "less employable" with a B.A Comp Sci?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:55 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
B.A. is normally out of the Arts and Science department. It is not for people who identify as Engineers but are looking to do research.
B.S. is normally out of the Engineering and Applied Science department. It is for people who want to Engineer systems and software.

I haven't really seen many B.A. in Comp Sci holders so I have no way to say if they are less employable. However, a B.S. in CS is definitely more in abundance within software companies that I have worked in.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I can only speak in general terms, for the schools I went to. There the BA, in any field, tended to be a lighter version of the BS. Essentially the same in the first two years, the difference there was mostly upper division. The ratio of liberal arts to math, science, & technical courses was the main difference. In general it seemed those who were going into hard core STEM jobs chose the BS path, while those going into teaching chose the BA route.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
It's like the difference between scientist and engineers, which in real world applicability is generally nil.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
From what I have seen

BA - no calculus courses, no physics, fewer science requirements
BS - yes calculus courses, some calculus-based physics, more science requirements

Both will get you employed, but consider what you want to do later in life.

Web developer, application developer, mobile app developer, game developer software tester, database administrator, and many more - all satisfied with BA or BS

Missile guidance systems software, mars rover software, medical imaging software, bioinformatics, drug discovery research software, astronomy software, embedded computing, etc... - you are not excluded with a BA, but a BS would enhance your chances

Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
When in doubt, go for the B.S.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
"All undergraduates in Computer Science at Harvard are candidates for the Bachelor of Arts degree (A.B.)"
Sure, BA is less technical.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
...you are not excluded with a BA, but a BS would enhance your chances
It depends on contract requirements.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM

674 posts, read 611,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"All undergraduates in Computer Science at Harvard are candidates for the Bachelor of Arts degree (A.B.)"
Sure, BA is less technical.
Harvard isn't the only place, either.

The distinction between a B.A. and a B.S. is entirely arbitrary in that a school can call their degrees whatever they want.

Usually, when a school offers both, the B.S. has more requirements within the major, though that doesn't mean the B.A. is less technical. I can't imagine an actual engineering degree that doesn't require calculus at all. Calculus is the "math for babies" course that you take before the weed-out courses, since most people going for engineering degrees get at least part of the calculus sequence out of the way in high school.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92A View Post
What is the difference between the two?
Would some be "less employable" with a B.A Comp Sci?
In the two schools I attended, the only difference between the BA and the BS was the BA required a foreign language while the BS required 3-6 more hours of statistics and math. The same department offered both degrees. All the other requirements were exactly identical.

(I just went back and checked, and the differences are almost the same, except one of the schools no longer requires a foreign language for the BA.)

Realistically, the difference between a BA and BS in your long term employment is negligible. The prestige of your school will easily outweigh the difference, and the difference will be gone with just a couple of months of work experience. (e.g. a BA with a 3 month internship will easily beat out a BS from the same school and major with no work experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities