Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 PM

660 posts, read 658,253 times

Advertisements

I am in my senior year of HS. I have been looking up different colleges but dont know what to major in. Well, I know I want to major in either computer science, computer engineering, or computer programming. But what is the difference between them and which would be your choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Never heard of a computer programming BS degree. If it takes you four years to learn computer programming you're probably in the wrong field.

Computer Science is how computation works; starts with formal logic as a basis, then things like automata theory, algorithmic complexity analysis, data structures, graph theory, programming language theory, and on top of that some applications like cryptography and graphics and AI.

Computer Engineering is more about how computers work -- processor architecture, cache design, bus designs, etc. There's some overlap in the signal processing and computer architecture areas especially.

If you want to design computers or processors, Computer Engineering is for you. If you want to write software that performs nontrivial computations, Computer Science.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
nybbler hit the nail on the head.

Computer science and computer engineering are actual academic fields, and you can get degrees in both.

Computer programming is a tool to either (1) create software for industry or (2) do computer science for academia or research.

Computer science, and to a lesser degree computer engineering degrees teach a small amount of computer programming. You are expected to pick the rest up on your own.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Get the Computer Science degree. It's usually the most sought after in open jobs ads. And you can pretty much do anything computer related with this degree. Lots of software developers (aka programmers aka software engineers) have Comp Science degrees.

Why dont you do some searches of job ads using the different degrees as keywords. You will see most ads ask for Computer Science or equivalent.

DICE.COM is a good site that has only tech job ads. So try your keyword searches there.

BTW - there are degrees in CIS (Comp Info Systems) that can be good for programming career. It's like Comp Science lite but more heavy on business. That's a good alternative degree and it might be less intense with math and Comp Science theory courses.

Many years ago when I was going to college I was contemplating whether to take Computer Science or CIS. A wise friend of mine told me that Comp Science was the 'crem dela crem' and the 'better' degree (harder, more sought after). So I majored in Comp Science and am glad I did. Was glad my friend gave me that guidance.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
I have a Computer Engineering Degree. Computer Science and Software Engineer degrees are different. Computer Programming typically isn't a degree.

Computer Engineering is typically done through the a University's Engineering School. Computer Science is done through either the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Science.

Specifically, computer engineering is more hardware related and to some extent more specific of a field. Computer Science is a broader discipline. There are probably more jobs out there for Computer Science.

Software Engineering as a degree typically is closer to Computer Science with a closer relationship to the software development process.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:28 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Something of interest:

Degrees Demystified: Computer Science vs Software Engineering | David Budden

Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I have a Computer Engineering Degree. Computer Science and Software Engineer degrees are different. Computer Programming typically isn't a degree.

Computer Engineering is typically done through the a University's Engineering School. Computer Science is done through either the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Science.

Specifically, computer engineering is more hardware related and to some extent more specific of a field. Computer Science is a broader discipline. There are probably more jobs out there for Computer Science.

Software Engineering as a degree typically is closer to Computer Science with a closer relationship to the software development process.
I agree with everything except the bolded text. Most B.S. in Comp Sci are in the School of Engineering:

USC - Department of Computer Science - Viterbi School of Engineering - Site Home

https://cidse.engineering.asu.edu/

The Computer Science and Engineering Department of the Pennsylvania State University — PSU CSE

Old 10-09-2015, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,781 times

Computer science and computer engineer are different degrees.and computer programming is not degree.Computer science is thescientific and practical approach to computation and its applications.It is the systematic study of the feasibility, structure, expression.Computer engineering is a discipline that integrates several fields of electrical engineering and computer science required to develop computer hardware and software.Computer programming is the craft of writing useful, maintainable, and extensible source code which can be interpreted or compiled by a computing system to perform a meaningful task.And I think computer science is better field and provides many jobs in various fields.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:02 AM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
I am in my senior year of HS. I have been looking up different colleges but dont know what to major in. Well, I know I want to major in either computer science, computer engineering, or computer programming. But what is the difference between them and which would be your choice?
As much as I understood in the computers(caculators),

the Computer Science: The broad studies in the caculators, that include the developing&researching of the data-managment hardwares and also the software. This is the Eiensten department.

the Computer Engineering: This one has a portion of the R and D which mentioned above. But the people who were out of this training, they were mostly maintaining or manufacturing the machine that were exsited. This was of the high salary job, if you looked after the NYPD's computers in the air-conditioned dust-free room.

The Computer Programming: The people were normally the freelancers. The some of them earn large profits. The more stable persons won contests and became the programming instructors.

Basically, if you wished a sane and stable life, the Computer Engineering would be a good choice.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-11-2015 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: removed graphic, please do not post graphics if they are not your own.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
It does not matter.
1. Get the degree.
2. Get good grades whilst attaining #1.
3. Get it from the school with the strongest brand.
4. Keep your student debt as low as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities