Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

The fact the inmates could not use the internet and it took weeks to get their research material is impressive.

Harvard Debate Team Loses to Prison Debate Team | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Hardly surprising. The Ivy League is a finishing school for the illegitimate faux-intellectual elite. They're not actually particularly smart.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 PM

97 posts, read 152,438 times
Most people get into Harvard because of family connections and/or money. They usually aren't that smart, just wealthy, well connected, and taught how to ace the application and admittance process.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:44 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Hardly surprising. The Ivy League is a finishing school for the illegitimate faux-intellectual elite. They're not actually particularly smart.
Hilarious, but that only applies to a very small percentage of Ivy League students. Less than 1%.

While Ivy League schools aren't unique to this, they encompass the brightest and most intellectual students. But the same could be said about other adequate schools such as NYU and JHU.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
Most people get into Harvard because of family connections and/or money. They usually aren't that smart, just wealthy, well connected, and taught how to ace the application and admittance process.
Some do, but most people who attend Harvard do so on legitimate merit. Stop listening to propaganda.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
LOL @ Harvard students aren't smart. Oy.

The prison team just won. It doesn't have to mean anything. There are smart people in prison too, you know. Besides, they had the time and motivation to focus on just this one task. The Harvard kids had to hold down classes, etc while preparing for the debate. So if anything, the prisoners had an edge.

Congrats to them! I hope something good comes out of this for the prisoners, besides the emotional satisfaction. I mean that's pretty great all by itself but it would be nice if some kind of post-prison opportunity also materialized.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 AM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LOL @ Harvard students aren't smart. Oy.

The prison team just won. It doesn't have to mean anything. There are smart people in prison too, you know. Besides, they had the time and motivation to focus on just this one task. The Harvard kids had to hold down classes, etc while preparing for the debate. So if anything, the prisoners had an edge.

Congrats to them! I hope something good comes out of this for the prisoners, besides the emotional satisfaction. I mean that's pretty great all by itself but it would be nice if some kind of post-prison opportunity also materialized.

This same issue comes up whenever that one high school robotics team beats a robotics team at MIT at something. Doesn't that happen almost every year? Reporters lap it up, because they love the David vs. Goliath angle, but it's really a matter of one group having a bunch of time to dedicate to something while the other group has more important things to do.

I remember entering a robot competition while I was in school. I'm sure my team would have done a lot better (we didn't do that badly) if I didn't have another five classes on my schedule at the time, all of which covered material for my major. The robot class was just something extra for fun. The only reason my team did well at all was that everyone else in the class had a bunch of other work to do, as well.

I'd also classify debate as something similar to chess. It's an activity that the general public tends to associate with intelligence far more than it really deserves. The best chess players in the world are not the world's smartest people, and most of the world's smartest people are terrible at chess. Getting good at it requires a ton of dedication and memorization (so it does require some intelligence), which is very different from a game where smart people would be naturally good. Chess, like debate, requires lots and lots of training. I know this because I enjoyed it when I was young but gave it up because I needed to dedicate a lot of time to school, so I was forced to cut my list of hobbies down to something I could manage. Chess didn't make the cut.

Naturally, there are a lot of prisoners who are really good at chess for the same reason prisoners can do well at debates.

Of course, all of the "Ivy kids aren't smart!" nonsense is just sour grapes.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
Average SAT score of incoming Harvard freshman is around 2200....yeah they aren't that smart

You are also wrong about "most" being wealthy and well connected....as for "acing" the application process, its pretty easy actually just get straight A's for 4 years take around 12-16 AP classes, score over 2100 on the SAT and you will have about a 7% chance of getting in along with the other thousands of applicants with the same resume...

The Harvard Crimson | Class of 2017

Old 10-06-2015, 07:02 PM

97 posts, read 152,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Average SAT score of incoming Harvard freshman is around 2200....yeah they aren't that smart

You are also wrong about "most" being wealthy and well connected....as for "acing" the application process, its pretty easy actually just get straight A's for 4 years take around 12-16 AP classes, score over 2100 on the SAT and you will have about a 7% chance of getting in along with the other thousands of applicants with the same resume...

The Harvard Crimson | Class of 2017

If you actually went to Harvard or any Ivy League school for that matter, like I did you would know that the SAT is a a standardized test. With enough instruction and practice, one can easily master it and beat it. When it comes to testing standardize means predictable.

Of course only the rich and wealthy can afford the best test prep classes and instructors. Some even pay others to take it for them.

Like I said, if you actually went to Harvard, you would know the environment is full of privilege and elitism. Almost everyone is well connected to someone rich, famous, and/or important.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-07-2015 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: removed the insult

Old 10-06-2015, 07:11 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The fact the inmates could not use the internet and it took weeks to get their research material is impressive.

Harvard Debate Team Loses to Prison Debate Team | Alternet
I saw this mentioned on social media and I actually ROFLMAO....because it reminds me so much of that game show "Are you smarter than a 5th Grader"..and it just shows to go you..incarcerated folks are NOT stupid, as so many would love to paint them ALL as thugs/losers or worse....This actually disproves things on so many levels!!

Finally reality disproves what those within our society ( those myopic/narrow minded types) with their preconceived ideations about those "OTHERS"!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities