Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 613 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am student from Lithuania and I have bachelor of Sport Coaching. Moreover, I have taken IELTS exam with 6,5 points in average. As You can see I am looking for university in the north America and, although, I have checked plenty of them in the Internet, there is no one that I can discuss about them. I am particularly interested in Strength and Conditioning and I would be grateful if somebody would suggest or express their notion about any of them (e.g. Indiana, Ohio etc.).

I am looking forward to hearing from You!

Thank You!

Stasys,
Lithuania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:57 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StasysLT View Post
Hello everyone!

I am student from Lithuania and I have bachelor of Sport Coaching. Moreover, I have taken IELTS exam with 6,5 points in average. As You can see I am looking for university in the north America and, although, I have checked plenty of them in the Internet, there is no one that I can discuss about them. I am particularly interested in Strength and Conditioning and I would be grateful if somebody would suggest or express their notion about any of them (e.g. Indiana, Ohio etc.).

I am looking forward to hearing from You!

Thank You!

Stasys,
Lithuania.
Since you already have a bachelor's degree, I assume you're interested in obtaining a Master's degree? In either case, since you already have education in this field, you likely have certain things in mind that you are looking for in a program, as well as some ideas on what makes a good quality program. What I would recommend is that you send a polite email to the sports training/management departments at the various schools and ask a few questions about the specifics of the program. This will probably tell you more about the programs than asking strangers on the internet, who may have only superficial information about the programs.

Have you thought about how you will pay for your education in the U.S.? At the undergraduate level, financial aid for international students is limited; only a small number of private universities offer financial aid for international students. Public universities like Indiana U and Ohio State do not offer financial aid for international students. So, you'll need to look at what the cost per year to study will be (you can find this on each college's website -- make sure you are looking at the cost for out of state students if you are looking at a public university). In order for you to get a student Visa, the U.S. state department will require that your family show proof that they have enough money in savings to fund your schooling.

There are some private universities that offer financial aid for international students at the undergraduate level, so you may want to also investigate those. You can find colleges that offer some form of financial aid by going to https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-search. Under the paying tab, check the box that sets the search for colleges that offer financial aid to international students. Do not add any other preferences. This will give you a starter list of colleges that offer some financial aid to international students -- you can then see which ones offer sports training and contact the financial aid offices to ask about how they award financial aid.

If you are planning to come to the U.S. for a graduate degree, the process is a little different. In some graduate programs, funding is available to certain international students in that program once they are admitted in exchange for teaching or doing research. The best way to find out what types of funding is available is to go to the Department website and look at the graduate information, then contact the department if you have follow up questions.

Finally, I want to mention that the U.S. State Department has an excellent website for international students who are interested in studying in the USA. They also have advising centers in countries around the world where students can get free or low cost advising on the process of applying to US universities (you can find the advising center in Lithuania on the site under Advising Centers). Here is the link for this website: educationusa.state.gov

(The College Board's Big Future website, which I linked to above, also has some resources specifically for international students that you should read through.

Good luck with your plans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities