Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,488,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
How so? If universities accept courses from community colleges, then how is one inferior to the other? You're not saying that quality universities don't accept transfer students from community colleges are you? Some are more competitive and highly selective, but they recognize CCs nonetheless.

Harvard College to enroll small number of transfer students | Harvard Gazette

Transfer Program | Yale College Admissions

University of California - California community college transfers (http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/transfer/requirements/community-college/index.html - broken link)
I'm saying they are close to each other in general. The obvious difference is courses at a community college are accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 62,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
1. No entrance requirements so you have a ton of people that are not capable.
You would then have to say that there are no entrance requirements at a CC either. I believe those requirements for a CC are the same as a for-profit. They also require testing to see where you are academically. It's up to those students to study and pass those courses that are being offered to them, even in lower level courses.

Quote:
2. Classes being taught by people with inferior educational backgrounds to those at universities.
So those are the reason for low graduation rates? Because classes are being taught by people with inferior educational backgrounds? That doesn't even make sense.

Community College Admission's Categories Regular Student http://cms.hutchcc.edu/hcc/home.aspx...=2930&id=14066
To be admitted as a regular student the applicant must:
[list][*]Have completed an application for admission[*]Be a high school graduate from an accredited high school or a holder of a GED Diploma.

Devry's Admissions
http://www.devry.edu/admissions/over...quirements.jsp
Prior Education Requirement
Each applicant must have earned one of the following educational
credentials from a DeVry-recognized organization: a high
school diploma or equivalent, a General Educational Development
(GED) certificate or a post-secondary degree. The diploma
or other acceptable documentation of the applicant’s educational
achievement must be provided for the student’s file by the end
of registration unless the school grants an extension. An official
transcript (or equivalent documentation) with the high school or
college grade point average (GPA) and graduation date must be
provided for the student’s file by the end of the second session
of enrollment. (See Additional Admission Requirements for International
Applicants.)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM

You are all over the place. I don't really care to debate for-profit vs CC. My points told you way for-profits produce poor results. If one was to concede to you for-profits and CC are basically the same the CC still easily wins out because it's much cheaper.

All the data has been posted here a million times before and you'll find it via the search function.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM

32 posts, read 62,530 times
Quote:
You are all over the place. I don't really care to debate for-profit vs CC. My points told you way for-profits produce poor results. If one was to concede to you for-profits and CC are basically the same the CC still easily wins out because it's much cheaper.

All the data has been posted here a million times before and you'll find it via the search function.

The studies never say why the students don't graduate in the first place. There could be many reasons why students drop out of for-profit programs. One being mainly because of the "for-profit" part. They don't realize or look into the price of these schools to begin with. When they do wake up and see how many loans they have and the price, I am sure that do bad mouth the colleges instead of admitting that they didn't full investigate the whole picture.

For-profit online colleges are going to be compared to any colleges offering online classes. People will always so to go to the community college just because it's cheaper. If that is the only difference, then why not go to a for-profit college if you can afford it and get your degree sooner.

What we need to do is hold the for-profit colleges accountable for their misleading loan information and how people will pay for the colleges. I believe these colleges can compete on the same level as other online classes. These schools have been bad-mouthed more because of their financial gain tactics over their poor class training.

There are always going to be education snobs out there that think their online classes were better than others. There will always be education snobs that think because they sat in a classroom therefor their education is better. I don't believe that. It is all about what the student puts into it. A student can sit in a classroom and text the whole time and surf the internet and not pay attention. That person is not going to absorb the same information over an online student is does pay attention.

We can't keep judging people by people who take online classes and get degrees. It's discrimination in another form. You get out of your education what you put in to it.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,274,734 times
To the OP:
Considering that most hiring managers view 'online degrees' as worthless, No, it's not worth it.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Again, There is a difference between a brick and mortar school offering it's classes on-line and a for-profit college offering on-line classes and degrees. Many older students go back to college and take a mix of on-line and evening classes. I know a few adults that did this. Their resulting degree was from the brick and mortar colleges and they walked in the graduation ceremony just like the traditional students.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
The studies never say why the students don't graduate in the first place. There could be many reasons why students drop out of for-profit programs. One being mainly because of the "for-profit" part. They don't realize or look into the price of these schools to begin with. When they do wake up and see how many loans they have and the price, I am sure that do bad mouth the colleges instead of admitting that they didn't full investigate the whole picture.

For-profit online colleges are going to be compared to any colleges offering online classes. People will always so to go to the community college just because it's cheaper. If that is the only difference, then why not go to a for-profit college if you can afford it and get your degree sooner.

What we need to do is hold the for-profit colleges accountable for their misleading loan information and how people will pay for the colleges. I believe these colleges can compete on the same level as other online classes. These schools have been bad-mouthed more because of their financial gain tactics over their poor class training.

There are always going to be education snobs out there that think their online classes were better than others. There will always be education snobs that think because they sat in a classroom therefor their education is better. I don't believe that. It is all about what the student puts into it. A student can sit in a classroom and text the whole time and surf the internet and not pay attention. That person is not going to absorb the same information over an online student is does pay attention.

We can't keep judging people by people who take online classes and get degrees. It's discrimination in another form. You get out of your education what you put in to it.
I have no issue with Universities offering online programs as they produce quality results and have admission standards.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,389,645 times
Quote:
I have no issue with Universities offering online programs as they produce quality results and have admission standards.
I didn't think you did Gatornation, thanks for clearing that up.

I agree with the Moderator and you on this point. There are quality online programs from legitimate, regionally accredited colleges and universities. They do produce quality degrees that employers and similar universities respect and recognize.

So, to the OP, yes, it is worth it if you do your homework and make sure the degree program you're considering is regionally accredited, is part of a state's university system, or is a well-respected private institution. One distinction is this: If representatives from your prospective school are calling you to "fill out the application" so that you can begin classes soon...HANG UP!

Another point to consider. Do not say this: "I want an online degree." What you really want to do is earn your degree by taking the required courses in an online format vs a traditional classroom setting. Because by earning it at a reputable institution, you will be working hard to obtain it, regardless of the format you choose.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,098 times
I totally agree...plus I'm searching for a teaching job now and have asked for feedback and never had a principal tell me there was a problem with completing my degree online. In fact, they seem to respect it-as you have stated here! Besides, I think the reality is--this will become more and more common. In fact, I'm considering getting a teaching endorsement online right now to enhance my marketability.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,098 times
I'm also a teacher and have taken both on campus and online classes. I believe that online classes are more challenging and definitely disagree regarding the statement "little of this is possible in a class over the internet" because I did all of this (though of course not face to face). Nevertheless, it was completed at my convenience. I happen to believe that some are just going to have a problem with the fact that they needed to drive a distance in order to earn their degrees whereas others did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities