Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not everyone learns at the same rate. Some people need a bit more attention. Why is that a bad thing?

Just like not everyone is meant to attend college. Some people need to stop after high school. Why is that a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:39 PM

5,224 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Just like not everyone is meant to attend college. Some people need to stop after high school. Why is that a bad thing?

Nothing. However, if somebody just needs a bit more help and are willing to pay for it who are you to tell them that they cant learn?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:

This is the line many name and no-name private schools use to recruit impressionable parents and students. Going to college is to learn, and if someone needs all that attention to learn, maybe they shouldn't be attending college at all.
That is why I went to my professors' offices, volunteered to be a research assistant, got hired to be a teaching assistant, and got my first two professional jobs through those professors. You might consider taking full advantage of the resources you're paying for too. You might learn something.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It's not even a "need more attention" thing. There are students who would simply prefer to work directly with experts and build relationships and connections, and aren't particularly interested in being one of hundreds of faces in a large auditorium or lecture hall, or winding up with somebody's TA, instead. Or who just plain enjoy class discussion, etc. with a small, focused group who wants to be there and is prepared to be there.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:

This is the line many name and no-name private schools use to recruit impressionable parents and students. Going to college is to learn, and if someone needs all that attention to learn, maybe they shouldn't be attending college at all.
Maybe the attention is not about learning but getting on the radar of a prof for research opportunities, letters of reference and such down the road. My daughter has become close friends with a couple profs and they have asked her to tutor other students, invited her to assist in research and such. She has gotten A's in the classes so she didn't need the attention to learn. These relationships will be critical for her down the road.

Also, there are some classes that are just harder than others and if someone is having trouble understanding a concept or whatever, having access to the prof is beneficial. Not to mention, ALL of the profs speak English as a first language.....

I'm sure it must be an amazing life having never needed help with anything, Quaker, but the reality is, even the smartest people in the world don't know it all or need help at times.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:38 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
As you can see from this thread, the reason is that people don't know they are "no-name" schools. There were a handful of private schools in the area where I grew up which offered nothing over cheaper state schools, but they marketed themselves heavily to the state's high schools and everyone had the impression that they were among the more well-known schools. If you move to another state, you discover another handful of schools that everyone thinks are good, that you'd never heard of in the state you used to live in. People are easily fooled by just having heard of something, and the process of applying to school is so overwhelming (there are thousands of them, after all), that anything that narrows it down a little helps. If the schools gives some aid or recruits or offers an athletic scholarship, that suddenly makes it a good choice. After all, most students really don't have any way to narrow down a thousand schools all over the country, or to visit the ones that are far away, so going with what they have heard of is not a completely unreasonable strategy, but a foolish one if they end up paying full private tuition for a mediocre school when they could have gone somewhere cheaper. I think the lack of good guidance in the process combined with lack of exposure to other options is responsible for most of that.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

5. Small regional schools typically prioritize and value teaching, and often have all or a majority of classes taught by full professors. Large programs depend more on TA's to handle instruction while professors instead focus on research and publication over instructing.
Quote:
We hear that line about teaching vs publication and small classes vs auditoriums full, but I wonder how much truth there is to it. Now I'm not saying there aren't auditorium classes and there aren't profs who focus on research, but that it's not the all or nothing so many tend to believe. Even in the big flagships, you will have plenty/most of your classes in a small class setting directly with the prof. And if the prof is doing research, great. Ask them about it. They'll love telling you and before you know it, you're right in there with them actually learning by doing at the frontier of the discipline rather than reading about.

Somehow the notion has grown that small LAC = good and flagship = bad, but the reality is every student has to find the place that best fits them. Everyone's personality is different and they need to seek out the best fit rather than be swayed by a cliché description of small vs big.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
As you can see from this thread, the reason is that people don't know they are "no-name" schools. There were a handful of private schools in the area where I grew up which offered nothing over cheaper state schools, but they marketed themselves heavily to the state's high schools and everyone had the impression that they were among the more well-known schools. If you move to another state, you discover another handful of schools that everyone thinks are good, that you'd never heard of in the state you used to live in. People are easily fooled by just having heard of something, and the process of applying to school is so overwhelming (there are thousands of them, after all), that anything that narrows it down a little helps. If the schools gives some aid or recruits or offers an athletic scholarship, that suddenly makes it a good choice. After all, most students really don't have any way to narrow down a thousand schools all over the country, or to visit the ones that are far away, so going with what they have heard of is not a completely unreasonable strategy, but a foolish one if they end up paying full private tuition for a mediocre school when they could have gone somewhere cheaper. I think the lack of good guidance in the process combined with lack of exposure to other options is responsible for most of that.
Have you been through the college search within the last decade? There are a myriad of ways to find out about small colleges. I have to admit having three kids taught be a lot and I learned more about the whole process with each child. However, it really was a no-brainer to realize the difference between a regional small private and a nationally known one. We went to the large college fairs AFTER doing on-line search. While we did visit a couple of local small privates, they were never on our radar screen. Why would someone go to a small local private instead of trying out a new area of the country? One of the things we realized quickly was that geographic diversity is something that colleges specifically seek out. None of my kids went to a college closer than 7 hours away.

US News and World Report - Best Colleges | College Rankings | US News Education - US News
College Confidential - SuperMatch(TM) College Search - College Confidential
Best Colleges (search site) The 50 Most Diverse U.S. Colleges in 2016 | BestColleges.com
College Navigator - College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics
College Data - CollegeData - College 411 - College Match
Colleges that Change Lives - Colleges That Change Lives | Changing Lives. One Student at a Time.- This website was started from a book of the same name that made a big impact on me and made us all look at what we wanted from a college.
http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Schmar.../dp/0761536957

I think the HS counselors at our small HS tend to steer the kids to the State U's, but in PA, there are many to choose from and also combination of partially public, like Temple, Pitt and Penn State - or their branch campuses. The privates that our (my kids HS) kids attend though are very likely to be in any state, including ones on the West Coast. As far as visiting, each family is different, but we did do swings to other states in New England and North Carolina where we saw three or four colleges in an area. Another strategy is to apply, see what the financial aid is, and then visit. Maybe our HS is an anomaly, but our local privates don't really make a pitch to recruit local kids unless they are athletes needed for their teams.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:00 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post

Not to mention, ALL of the profs speak English as a first language.....

National of origin matters to you, huh? Racist much?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Have you been through the college search within the last decade? There are a myriad of ways to find out about small colleges. I have to admit having three kids taught be a lot and I learned more about the whole process with each child. However, it really was a no-brainer to realize the difference between a regional small private and a nationally known one. We went to the large college fairs AFTER doing on-line search. While we did visit a couple of local small privates, they were never on our radar screen. Why would someone go to a small local private instead of trying out a new area of the country? One of the things we realized quickly was that geographic diversity is something that colleges specifically seek out. None of my kids went to a college closer than 7 hours away.

US News and World Report - Best Colleges | College Rankings | US News Education - US News
College Confidential - SuperMatch(TM) College Search - College Confidential
Best Colleges (search site) The 50 Most Diverse U.S. Colleges in 2016 | BestColleges.com
College Navigator - College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics
College Data - CollegeData - College 411 - College Match
Colleges that Change Lives - Colleges That Change Lives | Changing Lives. One Student at a Time.- This website was started from a book of the same name that made a big impact on me and made us all look at what we wanted from a college.
http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Schmar.../dp/0761536957

I think the HS counselors at our small HS tend to steer the kids to the State U's, but in PA, there are many to choose from and also combination of partially public, like Temple, Pitt and Penn State - or their branch campuses. The privates that our (my kids HS) kids attend though are very likely to be in any state, including ones on the West Coast. As far as visiting, each family is different, but we did do swings to other states in New England and North Carolina where we saw three or four colleges in an area. Another strategy is to apply, see what the financial aid is, and then visit. Maybe our HS is an anomaly, but our local privates don't really make a pitch to recruit local kids unless they are athletes needed for their teams.
I've only been through the search maybe a hundred times or so in the last decade, seeing as how that's part of my job.

Your children are in the minority. Only about 15% of students choose schools that are not driving distance to their parents' home. The overwhelming majority stay within their state. Do you really need to ask why someone would choose something closer to home rather than try out a new part of the country, where one has no resources, no family, and no familiarity?

Let's see...first, the college visit alone would be hardship for many families, who can't afford to travel half way across the country to visit schools they've only read about on the internet.

Second, although the many rankings available are certainly a good tool for narrowing things down, they don't really narrow it down enough unless you are looking at maybe elite schools. But for the average student, the choice is still huge. And if you don't live near a school, then you don't have any word-of-mouth to go by, and don't know anything about the area first-hand or even second-hand, without visiting.

It takes a lot of research online, and good research skills to locate a far-away school that meets your financial, social, geographical and academic needs. You'd be surprised how few people have those skills. If you do, and did this for your child, then good for you. But I can assure you that you are in the minority. About 15%, to be precise.

Most of my students only apply to about 3 schools, and their back-up is usually community college (which I think about half eventually go to). They usually apply to one really great school that they have a slim chance of getting into, and 2 schools that aren't so great but which they are sure they can get into and which are within driving distance. They usually visit the 2 local schools before deciding, and are primarily swayed by 1-availability of a major and 2-that they can actually get in. They rarely do a lot of research on the internet, and their parents are not usually involved at all. You would be shocked at how many didn't do any research at all, but relied on "my friend goes there and he told me...." or even "I heard...."

I'm not saying that's the best way or even a good way - far from it. I'm just saying that's what usually happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities