Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 02:12 PM

376 posts, read 593,643 times

Advertisements

I can see the rationale for going to Columbia over CUNY, but why would someone attend Sarah Lawrence over SUNY Purchase? I'm sure SL is a little nicer than SUNY, but is it $200,000 nicer? (60k-8k)*4=208k. SL is probably virtually unknown outside of the immediate area. At least SUNY Purchase carries the name "SUNY", which should signal, correctly, that it is neither the best nor an absolute dump.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 02:57 PM

102,058 posts, read 106,854,652 times
"SUNY Purchase"? Never heard of it. Sarah Lawrence? Heard of it, and it's considered to be among the Ivy League. That's not to say that the NY universities aren't good. But the difference isn't as black-and-white as you seem to think.

You want "no-name" private schools? How about Lewis and Clark? Willammette? University of the Pacific? Those are no-name private universities. Some people go there because they're not qualified to get into better schools, and one or both of their parents went there, so they can get in on the "legacy" gravy train. Others go there because they think they'll fare better in a small school, and would get overwhelmed in a big school. Or they want to go to school close to home. Whatever. As to justifying the cost, people like that don't have to. their parents pay for it, end of story.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
Sarah Lawrence is hardly considered on par with the Ivy League but neither is it a "no name" school that no one has ever heard of...

Its a good, small liberal arts college currently ranked 57th among National Liberal Arts Colleges by USNWR.

As for why someone would choose such a school why don't you ask them if it bothers you so much??

There are hundreds of colleges and universities in this country and while many are very similar each has its own niche whether it be programs offered, location, cost among myriad other differences...

As for "sticker price" as with cars what you see as the cost may not correlate with what is spent....

My daughter goes to a school similar in size and reputation to Sarah Lawrence, a nationally ranked small liberal arts college with a great reputation in the sciences and stellar track record for placing its grads in top graduate schools..

The sticker price is around 40K....

Because my daughter worked hard in high school, performed well on her ACT and interviews like a pro she qualified for a significant academic merit award and is an Honor Scholar...

What we pay out of pocket for the remainder of her tuition and fees is less than her classmates parents are paying for state college tuition here in NC...

As in another thread here, easy to judge when you don't have all the facts...

Old 11-13-2015, 06:51 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,865,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
I can see the rationale for going to Columbia over CUNY, but why would someone attend Sarah Lawrence over SUNY Purchase? I'm sure SL is a little nicer than SUNY, but is it $200,000 nicer? (60k-8k)*4=208k. SL is probably virtually unknown outside of the immediate area. At least SUNY Purchase carries the name "SUNY", which should signal, correctly, that it is neither the best nor an absolute dump.
Sarah Lawrence is well known. It is a moderately prestigious private school, good for someone who did not get into the Ivy League or Seven Sisters. It was known for women's liberal arts education when that was more of a rarity.

Small private schools provide a lot of individual attention that you can't easily get at big state schools.

$200,000 is not an infinite amount of money and, if I had it, I would rather spend it on a private school degree than on three nice cars.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,441,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"SUNY Purchase"? Never heard of it. Sarah Lawrence? Heard of it, and it's considered to be among the Ivy League. That's not to say that the NY universities aren't good. But the difference isn't as black-and-white as you seem to think.

You want "no-name" private schools? How about Lewis and Clark? Willammette? University of the Pacific? Those are no-name private universities. Some people go there because they're not qualified to get into better schools, and one or both of their parents went there, so they can get in on the "legacy" gravy train. Others go there because they think they'll fare better in a small school, and would get overwhelmed in a big school. Or they want to go to school close to home. Whatever. As to justifying the cost, people like that don't have to. their parents pay for it, end of story.
Umm, Lewis and Clark, Willammette and U of the Pacific are NOT 'no-name' private schools! LOL

Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 PM

26,577 posts, read 26,439,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Umm, Lewis and Clark, Willammette and U of the Pacific are NOT 'no-name' private schools! LOL
But UOP isn't really in the same category as Lewis and Clark and Willamette, do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Sarah Lawrence is probably virtually unknown outside of the immediate area.
Sarah Lawrence has always been very highly ranked. SUNY doesn't compare on any level.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,131,998 times
Some private's give good money. It would have been as cheap for me to go to Saint Louis University or Loyola New Orleans as it was to go to Mizzou. Both of those were "no name" private universities.

Perhaps that is a reason why they choose to attend. More funding than you think.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,343,228 times
I never got it, a lot of these "No-name" schools are just small regional schools no one outside the region has heard of. If one is going to pay the full fare private tuition, one should at least look at someplace with national recognition.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,088,625 times
IT's amazing how the 10,000 or so people that attend the handful of Ivy's are the ONLY people EVER to graduate and get jobs. It's no wonder there is a Starbuck's on every corner because all of these people that go to these "no name" schools, the 20,000,000 other college students across the country, need jobs I guess.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:18 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,348,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I never got it, a lot of these "No-name" schools are just small regional schools no one outside the region has heard of. If one is going to pay the full fare private tuition, one should at least look at someplace with national recognition.
My three kids went to "no-name" small privates. Our cost was just a bit more than a big public U - in-state costs due to substantial merit aid. Instead of going to an in-state public, they got a small classes all four years, no TA's, great dorms, free study abroads (except for air fare) and hey, they all have jobs in their fields. My youngest son's "no name" college has one of the best cyber security programs in the country.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities