Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:52 AM

137 posts, read 145,151 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Do college students living in off campus housing can expect to receieve help of any sort from the University?
By this I mean, better rent rates or a financial aid of any sort?
I saw that some universities recommend real estate agents to help students find an off campus rent, but that's about all the help they provide.
I know it usually depends on the University, but I'm asking now as a general point of view.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
General point of view is that living off campus is a student's personal choice and does not come with any University assistance or perks.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenn View Post
Hi,

Do college students living in off campus housing can expect to receieve help of any sort from the University?
Generally no, as they would rather they get your money, not some rental company.

There are extenuating circumstances, but those are rare.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I'd have to agree with the other responses. There are often off campus housing rentals listed through the university but rates are set by landlords.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:35 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Yes they do get financial aid. My ki lives off campus with two students who receive financial aid. One even got a single room which is much more expensive than shared room.
It depends on the area, but my kid's roommate showed her financial aid to be able to qualify for the apartment, they didn't need a cosigner.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM

59 posts, read 128,411 times
Anyone can use most financial aid (private, federal) for housing expenses, on- or off-campus unless their loan/scholarship specifically forbids it. I lived off campus my last 2 years of undergrad and will for all of grad school and am supported by loans.

The school itself does not assist other than like you said, some provide a list of good property management companies, landlords, or agents. Some schools also have "on-campus" housing (i.e., billed by the school) that is actually quite a ways from the campus. At my current grad school there is a cluster of apartment buildings a little over 2 miles from central campus and those students still have RAs and are billed by the school.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:21 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenn View Post
Hi,

By this I mean, better rent rates or a financial aid of any sort?
I saw that some universities recommend real estate agents to help students find an off campus rent, but that's about all the help they provide.
I know it usually depends on the University, but I'm asking now as a general point of view.

Thank you
We certainly didn't get discounts on rent. The town where I went to college was very anti student. We did receive financial aide regardless of living situation.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yes they do get financial aid. My ki lives off campus with two students who receive financial aid. One even got a single room which is much more expensive than shared room.
It depends on the area, but my kid's roommate showed her financial aid to be able to qualify for the apartment, they didn't need a cosigner.
The OP specifically asked about aid from the university.
Is that was yours was, or was it from the feds, etc. ?

Old 12-05-2015, 07:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The OP specifically asked about aid from the university.
Is that was yours was, or was it from the feds, etc. ?
I don't really know but I know they are low income and get financial aid. How much does Pell a Grant give? This kids pay about $800+ a month, it sounds like it exceeds Pell Grant amount. According to my kid, they receive financial aid to go to school. They get no discount from the apartment but the apartment used their financial aid statement to secure an apartment.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
My kids got merit aid towards tuition, so since housing is usually less expensive off campus, their total cost was less living off campus. They never lived in college owned off campus housing but I don't think that would make a difference.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities