Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,678,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Any liberal arts degree from an Ivy League school or top 10 school can be very marketable.

After all, a liberal arts from Yale is worth much, much more than a bachelors in science from DeVry or University of Phoenix.
I think if you graduate from any prestigious school, a liberal arts degree won't really hamper your marketability. I'm omitting women's studies etc when I say that btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,088,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Computer science is not a liberal art. I don't think actuarial science is either.
Yes, they both are.

Quote:
Schools can put whatever they want in their colleges, but in the college I work in computer science is definitely not a liberal art, nor is it one in any state university in two states that I have worked in. It's considered a technical/professional field, and is sometimes located in the engineering school. Liberal arts are academic subjects, NOT technical or professional.

We don't have any undergraduate programs in actuarial science, but there are actual actuarial schools, which would be a professional school and definitely not a liberal art.

None of those degrees will say BA on them.
So, even if they say BS they are still fall under mathematics and that is a liberal art discipline. A BA doesn't mean it is a liberal arts subject.

What exactly are these "actuarial schools", never heard of them. Many, many colleges have a degree, under the math department, in actuarial science. It is an undergraduate degree, not a professional degree, as the Society of Actuaries has their own testing/designation program.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Resour...s-details.aspx

Old 12-22-2015, 07:16 PM

548 posts, read 469,933 times
Quote:
Schools can put whatever they want in their colleges, but in the college I work in computer science is definitely not a liberal art, nor is it one in any state university in two states that I have worked in. It's considered a technical/professional field, and is sometimes located in the engineering school. Liberal arts are academic subjects, NOT technical or professional.

We don't have any undergraduate programs in actuarial science, but there are actual actuarial schools, which would be a professional school and definitely not a liberal art.

What does BA have to do with Liberal Arts? Liberal Arts degrees can be B.A. or B.S. I.e. the bio major will say B.S. Biology and the english major will have B.A. English.

My undergrad degree is actually an A.B. because my school thought they would be snooty and go for the Latin artium baccalaureus

Are you sure you actually work at a college? It sure doesn't seem like it.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,341,693 times
Quote:

As others have mentioned, computer science is definitely a liberal art. Contrary to your incorrect belief, computer science IS an academic subject. It's actually an extension of mathematics. You might want to look at ACM.

It seems like you are confusing IT (professional application of computer science) and computer science (academic subject).

Also, actuarial science is an extension of mathematics as well.

Liberal arts degrees don't have to say BA in them. You may want to familiarize yourself with academia.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:30 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,341,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A bachelor's in Psych isn't marketable at all, IMO. That's the kind of degree where you end up assistant manager in some retail chain store, JMO.

Any liberal arts major IMO requires LOTs of networking and internships in order to make it marketable. You can't just get the degree and nothing else and then hope to get a good job.
Psychology is extremely marketable at the moment. Tech companies are hiring them in large quantities from good universities. Take a look at Apple and Facebook, for example.

I think the people who end up at retail jobs are those who went to schools that don't rank in the top 20.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,896,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Psychology is extremely marketable at the moment. Tech companies are hiring them in large quantities from good universities. Take a look at Apple and Facebook, for example.

I think the people who end up at retail jobs are those who went to schools that don't rank in the top 20.
Hi, NJBest.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:57 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,409,191 times
Quote:

There are many schools that offer a BA in computer science, but a degree doesn't have to be offered as a BA in order to be considered a liberal art. Some schools treat computer science as a technology program while others treat it as a liberal arts program. The school at which I earned my undergraduate degree only offers a BA in computer science and treats computer science courses as natural science courses when it comes to meeting general education requirements. If you major in their liberal studies or natural science degree, they will accept computer science courses in the major area of study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Hi, NJBest.
I knew I wasn't the only one who recognized him as the reincarnation of NJBest.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:29 AM

50,085 posts, read 35,727,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post

What exactly are Apple and FaceBook hiring Bachelors psychology majors for? What sort of jobs?

Again, I think these kind of degrees are okay if you have the willingness and people skills to network and get the right internships. I don't think you can just get a vague degree and get a good job without narrowing the degree into an actual career field while you're getting it. I think most people just get the degree and hope for the best, and I don't think that's a good strategy for a degree like psych unless you're going on to a higher degree.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Computer science is the theoretical underpinning of the applied sciences like programming, database management, information technology etc. Coursework frequently overlaps, but then it does in most disciplines. When I returned to college, I went with the information technology curriculum, and took 1 theoretical course -- in project management. All the rest involved programming or other technical skills. The students in computer science were studying why computers could do what they do.

Students graduating with biology or physics or mathematics degrees get BS degrees, but those are all liberal arts. Most colleges consider the "liberal arts" to mean "liberal arts and sciences".
Then that would certainly make it one of the most useful "liberal arts." I checked my school catalog and saw that there are two computer science majors (both just called "computer science" - one is a BA, but the other is in the engineering school.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
The degree itself is less important than the opportunities you seek while in school. I worked my way through school at a newspaper, which led to a job in PR.

That being said, a degree in English with a writing emphasis can be extraordinarily valuable. Everybody needs written content today, and a person who can write and sell himself can always put food on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities