Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 PM

678 posts, read 697,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But that IS a possibility with an associate in English.

What is you Plan B?
Psychology also caught my eye really trying to stay away from soulless corporate jobs. Could I double literature and psychology? How would that work??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:29 PM

912 posts, read 915,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Psychology also caught my eye really trying to stay away from soulless corporate jobs. Could I double literature and psychology? How would that work??
Psychology is a tough one too. Unless you get a PhD, it often leads to jobs that won't be worth paying for a degree to get it.

Keep in mind, you can major in something like math or business with a minor or dual major in English and still stay away from soulless corporate jobs. Or, use that marketable degree to find a corporate job that aligns with your values (i.e. digital marketing for a like-minded charity, environmental lawyer, business development for a fashion company, etc). Your skills in areas of high demand can be used for good or in ways you choose to use them.

At the end of the day, people are hiring those that have skills they need, no matter what industry that job is in or which hat you'd be wearing to work there.

I very much appreciate where you are coming from. I was in your shoes (cough, cough) a few years ago (I won't say hooowww many lol). At the end of the day, I had similar visions but life quickly taught me that skills need to be marketable. What I did with those skills was up to me.

But what's really going to get your foot in doors after graduation are relevant internships. Do them for free, if you must. That experience is *invaluable* (they are essentially training you for the job you want on their own dime) and will give you a leg up when you have that diploma in your hand.

But I must add, you are very smart to map your plan now. I am nuts about planning and research. Just don't be too rigid on where you want to go, because sometimes life, supply / demand, and the economy have other ideas of what is in demand and is going to feed you. What I'm saying is, having your eye on a goal is great. But don't lose sight of other opportunities that may present themselves. Look at Oprah as an example. She went from giving us our daily news here in my hometown of Baltimore, to her own talk show, to her own TV network. Careers evolve if you keep your blinders off.

Last edited by UserName14289; 01-05-2016 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Added more info.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
Psychology is a tough one too. Unless you get a PhD, it often leads to jobs that won't be worth paying for a degree to get it.

Keep in mind, you can major in something like math or business with a minor or dual major in English and still stay away from soulless corporate jobs. Or, use that marketable degree to find a corporate job that aligns with your values (i.e. digital marketing for a like-minded charity, environmental lawyer, business development for a fashion company, etc). Your skills in areas of high demand can be used for good or in ways you choose to use them.

At the end of the day, people are hiring those that have skills they need, no matter what industry that job is in or which hat you'd be wearing to work there.

I very much appreciate where you are coming from. I was in your shoes (cough, cough) a few years ago (I won't say hooowww many lol). At the end of the day, I had similar visions but life quickly taught me that skills need to be marketable. What I did with those skills was up to me.

But what's really going to get your foot in doors after graduation are relevant internships. Do them for free, if you must. That experience is *invaluable* (they are essentially training you for the job you want on their own dime) and will give you a leg up when you have that diploma in your hand.

But I must add, you are very smart to map your plan now. I am nuts about planning and research. Just don't be too rigid on where you want to go, because sometimes life, supply / demand, and the economy have other ideas of what is in demand and is going to feed you. What I'm saying is, having your eye on a goal is great. But don't lose sight of other opportunities that may present themselves. Look at Oprah as an example. She went from giving us our daily news here in my hometown of Baltimore, to her own talk show, to her own TV network. Careers evolve if you keep your blinders off.

I'm really looking for like a gateway study that would get my into fashion. Literature in my eyes was a good way to get into magazine work. And work my way up and become an editor. I also understand where your coming from with keeping my opportunities open because I want to make good money and have a good career but everything I want to do everyone keeps saying how crazy and impossible it is to get into fashion. I was wanting to study the business of fashion. There's a really good school in NYC that offers great opportunities. But there's just so much out there I'm honestly still undecided.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Two useless majors instead of one? Both of those are majors that are notorious for not leading to jobs. Have you done any research at all about what kind of majors lead to careers in journalism or fashion? Everything is about digital media right now. Perhaps you should look there.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:25 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
I'm really looking for like a gateway study that would get my into fashion. Literature in my eyes was a good way to get into magazine work. And work my way up and become an editor. I also understand where your coming from with keeping my opportunities open because I want to make good money and have a good career but everything I want to do everyone keeps saying how crazy and impossible it is to get into fashion. I was wanting to study the business of fashion. There's a really good school in NYC that offers great opportunities. But there's just so much out there I'm honestly still undecided.
Have you done any research at all? A 2 minute Google search showed me that the majority of fashion jobs require a background in public relations, sales and marketing, social media, or merchandising. No mention of English literature at all. You must learn to do research and find out these things for yourself, before you make a series of bad decisions that you will lament for years to come.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Two useless majors instead of one? Both of those are majors that are notorious for not leading to jobs. Have you done any research at all about what kind of majors lead to careers in journalism or fashion? Everything is about digital media right now. Perhaps you should look there.

Could someone elaborate on what a good degree would be since everything I do isn't right?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Could someone elaborate on what a good degree would be since everything I do isn't right?
I'd suggest locating people that are doing what you hope to do, and talk to them. They can give you advice on questions you'd never even think of asking.

Also, imagine where you want to work, and see the jobs for which they are hiring. That will give you a good idea of what they need which could give you some idea on where to start.

When all else fails, business (universal enough for most industries) with a dual major in english and a minor in design might be a good fit for you.

Digital marketing is also another avenue. The web is where everything is these days, including fashion. Tech is high demand in just about any field lately.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I'd suggest locating people that are doing what you hope to do, and talk to them. They can give you advice on questions you'd never even think of asking.

Also, imagine where you want to work, and see the jobs for which they are hiring. That will give you a good idea of what they need which could give you some idea on where to start.

When all else fails, business (universal enough for most industries) with a dual major in english and a minor in design might be a good fit for you.

Digital marketing is also another avenue. The web is where everything is these days, including fashion. Tech is high demand in just about any field lately.
Yeah business was my second choice. I wanted to go for a more cool major but i guess that'll do.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Oh, I get that completely. It's why I have so many degrees. lol I have an insatiable desire to learn and there were too many things that interested me.

Keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with being "undeclared / general studies" for your AA and focusing your degree when you get your bachelors (I'd highly recommend it, actually). That will give you a lot of time to do research, test the waters, maybe do an internship or two to get your feet wet and see if you even like what you thought you'd like, etc.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:18 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
If that's not enough, your career plans are also not realistic. Editing and publishing and proofreading and dying professions thanks to computers and online book sales. There are very few jobs left like that.

Jobs at fashion magazines are very competitive, and you would need to have a good resume of fashion experience, as well as digital/print media, social media skills, and so on. And then it would still be competitive. A degree in English by itself is probably not enough. I'm not sure what is, but you should do the research now, before you start down that path.
To the first part, your first sentence is accurate in regards to the OP. The second sentence is wrong. Online media definitely is the latest means, but almost all those companies do in fact have proofreaders and editors on staff. On top of that, many companies have corporate communications that need proofreaders and editors. There still is a demand for proofreaders (like the second "and" in your second sentence should be "are"... typos happen). News writing, copywriting/editing and other similar positions are still present and not going anywhere any time soon. I will say that those jobs are not at all evenly or fairly distributed, with a much greater concentration of them in New York and DC compared to most cities, a handful of other cities quite a bit behind those, and almost every other city far behind in available positions.

I will echo some things in the second part, but also clarify. I think writing for a fashion magazine is going to be nothing more than a dream for the OP, because competition will be stiff. An English degree by itself, however, would be fine, though a second major wouldn't hurt. The hardest part will be finding a place that gives the OP work experience. Furthermore, OP, you'll really need to lower your standards because most of those jobs aren't going to be exciting, but if that's generally what you want to do then you should pursue it.

Specifically to the OP, I don't think your plan is well thought out. To see the world, it would be better to travel independently, do a semester or year abroad, take a contract job teaching English overseas after getting at least a BA, etc. It would be best to move on to a US university and finish your degree, as you could do networking through professors or local contacts to find a job afterward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities