Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times

Advertisements

Other than the student loan via the government industry (which is the biggest reason)...

Microaggression committees are NOT cheap
Students these days (hells, most people in general it seems) DEMAND luxury, pampering, and all around ass fondling.

95% of majors are totally useless and they constantly need to come up with various reasons to justify the costs. They will make stuff up like... [insert ridiculous reasons why spending 50K a year is a good idea here x 100]

College is outdated, corny, and only has been watered down since they will let just anyone in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
95% of majors are totally useless and they constantly need to come up with various reasons to justify the costs. They will make stuff up like... [insert ridiculous reasons why spending 50K a year is a good idea here x 100]

College is outdated, corny, and only has been watered down since they will let just anyone in.
This is hilarious. I always wonder why the uneducation crowd steps into the college forum.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
1. Hiring of lots of non-teaching non-researching administrators. Their salaries eclipse most full professors, sometimes 5x as much.

2. Facilities arms race. There is construction at pretty much every campus there is. Students want newer and better facilities (rec centers, cafeterias, dorms, etc) schools are giving it to them... at a cost and competing with each other.

3. Demand. This whole "Everyone has to go to college" or "I don't know what I want to do, guess I'll go to college to find out" mentality our country has has essentially turned Universities into tobacco companies and students into smokers. They're basically addicted and will pay whatever the cost, so why not jack it up?

Here's another point: much of the recent increases are not actually for academic tuition: they're for the on campus housing and dining facilities: those make a killing.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:23 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
This is hilarious. I always wonder why the uneducation crowd steps into the college forum.

Well, it could be this thread: The Globe Earth Theory

College isn't going to help there.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, it could be this thread: The Globe Earth Theory

College isn't going to help there.
That thread made my hair hurt.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
I was stating my opinion AS a college educated person., Mr. Hospitality!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Where did you attend and what did you study? From your previous statement, it doesn't appear that you have a college education.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:11 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
If you had bothered to read my OP, you'd note that I specifically indicated that I was not interested in comments from those who wanted to use this topic to rant against going to college. I stated that I regarded such posts as off-topic. (See #2 at the end of the post)

You apparently chose to ignore me. I intend to ignore all future posts that want to turn my pertinent question into a rant against college education in general.

In addition to that your comment that "95% of all college majors are useless" is low quality BS. Really. Its nothing more than that.

You don't follow instructions very well, do you?

Thanks for trying to change the subject.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This link is to an article from the New York Times.

A little background is in order. College costs have increased by 400% on the average in the last thirty years. When colleges are asked to explain why these costs have gone up at a rate that maybe 5 to 10 times as much as the rate of inflation, the typical answer that is given is that: State legislatures are not appropriating the money they used to subsidize the costs at public colleges and universities.

However, this article points out that claims is--generally--not true. Total appropriations by legislatures have actually gone up. What has gone down are "per capita" or "per student" appropriations.

The article points out something that I have suspected for a long time. College budgets are much higher than they used to be and far more people are earning high salaries working in higher education in different areas of administration. Salaries for college professors have only marginally increased during this time. However, the average college or university has increased administration by as much as 60%. Not only this, but many of these people earn salaries that are huge.

If we are going to make college less expensive and more affordable, we are going to have to put some kind of restrictions on these kinds of expenditures.

By all means respond. However, pay attention to the topic. Here are replies that I would deem "off-topic":

1. College costs aren't a problem just send your kid to community college (its not what this is about).

2. Why do you think your child has to go to college at all? (I haven't even mentioned my own children)

3. Kids should all get scholarships and than they wouldn't have to worry about these costs (very off topic)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/op..._1=254857&_r=0
OP, we had a thread on this exact same topic (same title, as I recall) linking the same article a couple of months ago.

Legislature appropriations have NOT gone up! In WA State, they've been cutting back since the 80's. In CA, they've been slashed on a regular basis since Proposition 13 passed, and now they're down to almost nothing, at least the portion of appropriations that cover staff and faculty (now covered by tuition). In CA, even appropriations for building maintenance and construction has been cut significantly.

University budgets have several separate sections. In some states, appropriations for physical plant may have remained the same or increased, but budgets for faculty and staff, i.e. instruction-related budgets, have dwindled, and that's why tuitions have skyrocketed.

I don't think a generalization can be made that nationwide, administrative salaries and the number of administrators have grown. That doesn't explain everything. The budget for staff and faculty began to get cut back as a direct result of budgeting decisions by state legislatures decades ago, before salaries at the top experienced significant increases, anyway.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, we had a thread on this exact same topic (same title, as I recall) linking the same article a couple of months ago.

Legislature appropriations have NOT gone up! In WA State, they've been cutting back since the 80's. In CA, they've been slashed on a regular basis since Proposition 13 passed, and now they're down to almost nothing, at least the portion of appropriations that cover staff and faculty (now covered by tuition). In CA, even appropriations for building maintenance and construction has been cut significantly.

University budgets have several separate sections. In some states, appropriations for physical plant may have remained the same or increased, but budgets for faculty and staff, i.e. instruction-related budgets, have dwindled, and that's why tuitions have skyrocketed.

I don't know why anyone would claim otherwise.
As another poster sort of implied, colleges have only had government funding for a short period of time. They were perfectly fine before the government chipped in.

We know that colleges that are effective can survive off of patents, licensing agreements, and innovation alone. Those that cannot, are a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities