Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

I started physics this semester and our physics teacher told us to use calculators on our exams and HW assignments. First day of class we received 100 basic math problems for Homework.
I have always been a believer in knowing how to solve the math problem without a calculator, and once you master it, you can use a calculator. But I guess that is not the norm? I don't know... we are talking simple fractions, algebra etc and my class mates are plugging in the numbers , formulas into their scientific calculators. Many of them have no clue how to solve the problem on their own if they were asked.

Am I wasting my time here? This is a 2 year, very intense program and I really don't have time messing around with basic math right now but I also don't feel right about not knowing what the heck it is Im doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:43 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
I also don't feel right about not knowing what the heck it is Im doing.

You say it's basic math and you say you don't know what you're doing. If you're taking a physics class as part of an "intense program" the teacher probably assumes you know basic math and lets you use a calculator to help with the mundane work.

If you don't feel comfortable using the calculator then don't use it so you can improve your skills. Or drop the class and get a refund if you think it's going to be over your head.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I started physics this semester and our physics teacher told us to use calculators on our exams and HW assignments. First day of class we received 100 basic math problems for Homework.
I have always been a believer in knowing how to solve the math problem without a calculator, and once you master it, you can use a calculator. But I guess that is not the norm? I don't know... we are talking simple fractions, algebra etc and my class mates are plugging in the numbers , formulas into their scientific calculators. Many of them have no clue how to solve the problem on their own if they were asked.

Am I wasting my time here? This is a 2 year, very intense program and I really don't have time messing around with basic math right now but I also don't feel right about not knowing what the heck it is Im doing.
Which should already have been mastered if you are in physics class.
So the calculator enables you to get those problems done sooner.

Now if you haven't mastered fractions and algebra then maybe this class is not right for you and you need some refresher math classes.

You are taking a physics class, not a math class so the teacher is assuming everyone knows their math.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:25 PM

Ok....let me explain.
I am in the Radiography program. We have to take many prerequisites before we get accepted. Math is one of them. I did math in college 5 years ago. I haven't done any math at all since then. I am not sure about you guys, but I forget if enough time pass by. Now, as far as the physics class goes. It's just one class, one day a week. It's part of the program. The teacher gave us math questions ,probably as a refresher. Even though it has been some time, I remembered most of it from a few years ago. But some of my class mates using scientific calculators so solve the math problems , because they don't remember how to do it with just a pen and a paper. But if the teacher is ok with that I guess I should just relax and go along with it.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Which should already have been mastered if you are in physics class.
So the calculator enables you to get those problems done sooner.

Now if you haven't mastered fractions and algebra then maybe this class is not right for you and you need some refresher math classes.

You are taking a physics class, not a math class so the teacher is assuming everyone knows their math.

Yes, I agree calculators are great for those who already mastered the math particular problem.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:25 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ok....let me explain.
I am in the Radiography program. We have to take many prerequisites before we get accepted. Math is one of them. I did math in college 5 years ago. I haven't done any math at all since then. I am not sure about you guys, but I forget if enough time pass by. Now, as far as the physics class goes. It's just one class, one day a week. It's part of the program. The teacher gave us math questions ,probably as a refresher. Even though it has been some time, I remembered most of it from a few years ago. But some of my class mates using scientific calculators so solve the math problems , because they don't remember how to do it with just a pen and a paper. But if the teacher is ok with that I guess I should just relax and go along with it.
Exactly. Worry about yourself, not your classmates.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Use the damned calculator.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
I've used calculators for Physics when I was in school and it was the norm. In advanced courses, calculators are not really consider cheating instrument. Kids are taught with using calculators to solve problems. They are told when it's acceptable and when it's not. My son had to get a calculator in 7th grade that is supposed to last through his HS and possible college years. It's one of those that is accepted when taking the SAT.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You say it's basic math and you say you don't know what you're doing. If you're taking a physics class as part of an "intense program" the teacher probably assumes you know basic math and lets you use a calculator to help with the mundane work.

If you don't feel comfortable using the calculator then don't use it so you can improve your skills. Or drop the class and get a refund if you think it's going to be over your head.
I remember in my college physics classes you usually didn't have to do the calculations. Just show the correct formulas with the numbers. (Circa 1975)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:03 AM

296 posts, read 319,238 times
Calculators are just tools to speed up the computation. They cannot set up the problem for you or help you understand the theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities