Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
I think the plan was to make Community Colleges free which allow everyone to attend just as long as they graduated from High School.
No. The plan is to make four year colleges public tuition free. Community colleges may also be included in this plan.

And yes, high school graduation (not a GED) is part of the plan, as well as a good high school record.

How is this NOT a good thing for our country?

Are you worried about the Lehman brothers? Goldman Sachs? Please. Worry about yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Are you serious? Are you aware that for profit colleges take money from the government in the form of federal grants and loans.

Anyone can get into a "for profit college". However, last I checked, less than 20% of people graduate from The University of Phoenix.

That is a waste of tax payers money. They should be shut down. They scam the most vulnerable of students.
You completely miscomprehended my post to the point that I don't even know what you were responding to. I suggest you read it again.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Yes, I know there is no such thing as free college. Because if they eliminated tuition and fees the money would have to come out of higher taxes, or spending cuts in other areas.

But if there were no tuition or fees in college how would that impact the classroom experience?

Worse because the colleges would be flooded with students whose heart was not really in it but decided to go because they would not have any direct cost.

Better because it would open college to a whole new group of people who would make it more diverse and interesting.
There is a ton of evidence to support private not public tax payer supported education. The problem with higher education is government involvement in student loans. That is the quick summary of the matter.

With government guaranteeing student loans, it eliminated the risk for lenders. Increased availability for funds increased demand which increased the prices.

There is no such thing as free. Someone is paying. It's best for the individual to pay for their education but for the costs to be more in line with reality in what the market will pay.

No way should tuition for art school be 32k for example. No lender in their right mind would dish that out to some 18 year old kid. So the school would have to reduce the price of the class to reality if they wanted anyone to attend their classes.

The price of classes should be dictated ultimately for what price that skill set pays in the free market when one gets out of school. With technological advances, education costs should be decreasing not increasing.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Yes, I know there is no such thing as free college. Because if they eliminated tuition and fees the money would have to come out of higher taxes, or spending cuts in other areas.

But if there were no tuition or fees in college how would that impact the classroom experience?

Worse because the colleges would be flooded with students whose heart was not really in it but decided to go because they would not have any direct cost.

Better because it would open college to a whole new group of people who would make it more diverse and interesting.
Would add some stress at the freshman level, but assuming we hold to standards, it won't change the number of students attending because the number who can handle college won't increase by the same amount. Look at the students around you. Only one of you will be here at the end of the semester. Weed out classes will just weed out some more.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
I teach scuba at a university. I work for a contractor who runs that program.

There is tuition which pays for the buildings. There are fees which pay for the instructors, use of the pool, and the equipment we provide.

If there were no fees, assuming we were still around, then someone, somewhere, would have to pick up the bill for the needed equipment.

If it is coming out of tax money, then one has a whole population of people arguing over that tax money of who deserves it more, such as the mother with two children on welfare or the marine biologist undergrad (which is what I was when I got certified). PE credits were required then, they didn't need to be in scuba, but it did rather seem like a smart idea at the time.

Would classes be better or worse? Quite frankly, I think they would be an unmitigated disaster because the university is then fighting for what dollars it can get, swinging the ax a lot at what they could offer.

Reminds me of this PSA from the 70's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrv4MZEN97o

Which, now that I remember this, gets to me wondering of whether this is some grand scheme to wreck it all to have an uneducated public..........but that's probably a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
............There are many deserving first generation students who have no idea how to apply to college. Many have parents who want them to live at home and attend schools that are local.........
At a School Psychology workshop once, I was told a story of a very smart high school girl who wasn't applying for college. Her HS counselor asked her why. She said that she would be the first of her family to go to college and that every time she came home such as on the weekends when it was expected, there would be those in her family pressuring her about that, of why was she doing it, did she think she was better than all of them? With that kind of constant pressure over her, she just knew she couldn't withstand it and couldn't graduate.

The counselor told her that this was Texas and that they could find a public college that was affordable yet far enough away from her home that it would just be impractical for her to come home each weekend.

Sometimes, being in college close to home is not the best of notions. If, in anything else, the student who still lives at home has probably not grown into being an adult.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-23-2016 at 12:57 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 PM

60 posts, read 46,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Would add some stress at the freshman level, but assuming we hold to standards, it won't change the number of students attending because the number who can handle college won't increase by the same amount. Look at the students around you. Only one of you will be here at the end of the semester. Weed out classes will just weed out some more.

I disagree with the notion that there would not be more students if cost was not a factor. My parents told me early (like Freshman year of HS) that if I wanted to go to college I better be able to get a full scholarship somewhere because they could not afford to help and they would not be contributing to loan applications. Well, middle class suburban kids don't get much in the way of full scholarships. I think there are plenty of kids bypassing college because of cost. Not all kids with good grades but no money choose to or have the option to take out exorbitant loans to continue on to college.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
Take a look at the CUNY system. That was essentially FREE for a long time to NYC residents, and it had open admissions. Yes, there were people there who weren't college material. But I'll never forget my father saying, "Let them go! Let them sit in a classroom, even if they're not ready for college! Maybe they'll LEARN something there! How could that be a bad thing?"

He was right. The more education our poor have, the more likely they are to become productive members of society, and the more they will get out of life. Just as everyone should have access to a high school education, everyone should have access to a college education, if they desire it and are able to take advantage of it.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Think of a watered down, multi diverse public school, inner Detroit, get the idea.

Detroit inner city schools are not diverse.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
You hit it on the first one. If it was "free" the retention and graduation rates would PLUMMET. It would seriously be in free-fall.

With no skin in the game, kids would have less reason to care about how well they did. Drop out? What the heck, it was free. Who cares?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Horrible

Just look at France and Germany.
Not a single decent graduate in the last 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities