Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:50 AM

114 posts, read 77,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Yeah, right. Those phantom "trades" that pay $100k that are always mentioned in articles touting vocational education over college but which are never specifically named ... or are you talking about the guys making $18/hour as journeymen plumbers after ten years?
There are very few but, positions in the oil and gas industry, oilfield and rig workers as well as welders can on the high end make around 90.

The fact that the trades have been demonized for decades have led to a shortage in those fields and those currently working in those positions are working many overtime hours to accompany the demand. With the overtime there quite a few plumbers and electricians around my area that do well for themselves.

Purely speculating on my part, but the shortage may drive up the wages for licensed electricians and plumbers. After all you can't out source the repair of a leaky faucet.

Also outside of the trades, other professions with out a college degree, firefighters, some UPS positions, post office workers and police officers are nicely compensated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ13 View Post
There are very few but, positions in the oil and gas industry, oilfield and rig workers as well as welders can on the high end make around 90.

The fact that the trades have been demonized for decades have led to a shortage in those fields and those currently working in those positions are working many overtime hours to accompany the demand. With the overtime there quite a few plumbers and electricians around my area that do well for themselves.

Purely speculating on my part, but the shortage may drive up the wages for licensed electricians and plumbers. After all you can't out source the repair of a leaky faucet.

Also outside of the trades, other professions with out a college degree, firefighters, some UPS positions, post office workers and police officers are nicely compensated.
They have not been demonized. The trades always had people work overtime in them. They are dangerous, so those who can get better jobs often DO so. A lot of those men working all this overtime in the trades you mention will end up collecting disability checks.

Someone will always do those types of jobs, and yes they are important. But there are reasons why people don't see them as ideal jobs.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
There are soooo many variables going on here. For instance there are studies showing that kids from wealthy backgrounds are more likely to be risk takers, which generally pays off with far better pay.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:

These trades are tied to infrastructure. Welders, industrial level plumbers/pipeworkers, bricklayers, industrial HVAC, road crews, etc. These rely on infrastructure spending which has been nill lately.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
These trades are tied to infrastructure. Welders, industrial level plumbers/pipeworkers, bricklayers, industrial HVAC, road crews, etc. These rely on infrastructure spending which has been nill lately.
Some are, not all plumbers and electricians are though. What about commercial and residential? And not all welder positions are tied to infrastructure.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:44 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:

Nah, the fact is that a career industrial welder is doomed to develop some serious chronic health issues in his 40s have much more to do with demonization. Blue collar jobs kill, you'll die younger and in pain.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Some are, not all plumbers and electricians are though. What about commercial and residential? And not all welder positions are tied to infrastructure.
Thats why I said industrial, those are the 100k paying trades the poster was talking about. You wont make 100k a year doing residential unless you own the company or have been doing it for 30 years.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They have not been demonized. The trades always had people work overtime in them. They are dangerous, so those who can get better jobs often DO so. A lot of those men working all this overtime in the trades you mention will end up collecting disability checks.

Someone will always do those types of jobs, and yes they are important. But there are reasons why people don't see them as ideal jobs.
Yeah demonize was the wrong word, too early and not enough coffee, sorry. I should have edited it.

There are consequences to the trades, I don't deny that. Not everyone has to do them their entire lives, some can move up to higher paying positions, inspectors and such, by using their training in a trade as a stepping stone and thus getting themselves away from the extremely strenuous positions.

My point in responding was to prove the point that you can be well compensated in a position without a college degree, though there are pitfalls associated with them, mainly the toll it takes on one's body.

Are any jobs truly ideal?

Old 03-01-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Thats why I said industrial, those are the 100k paying trades the poster was talking about. You wont make 100k a year doing residential unless you own the company or have been doing it for 30 years.
When I asked about commercial and residential it was because you quoted my previous post and said all the trades I mentioned were tied to infrastructure. I realize commercial or residential won't warrant six figures.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Nah, the fact is that a career industrial welder is doomed to develop some serious chronic health issues in his 40s have much more to do with demonization. Blue collar jobs kill, you'll die younger and in pain.

I agree with you, though one who gets into industrial welding does not need to stay there their entire life, there is upward mobility to safer positions. The points I'm trying to make are not everyone wants to work a white collar job and that a decent living can be made based off of a trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities