Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,157 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've noticed a few questions of this nature but most of them seem to be outdated. I have three questions that I would very much appreciate hearing your opinions and experience. I've looked on the APA website and Accreditation Requirements by State. My first question is:
-Considering Regionally Accredited Institutions, what is the best online program for a Ph.D. in General Psychology?
-Narrowing down the selection based on recommendations for the 'best' online program, which of these have the most reasonable tuition?
-Is anyone aware of a 'recent' website that contains a current and accurate chart of tuition charged by each of these institutions?

I've been surfing the web for hours and have called several universities but I'm finding very little consistency.

I'm hoping someone has knowledge of a resource that I have not been able to locate.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Have you found this?

APA Accredited Online PhD Psychology Programs

What do you intend to do with an on line PhD?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,157 times
Thanks for the link. I notice it indicates Fielding Graduate University is the only one online doctoral program is the APA accredited. I haven't looked into their program in depth, but if it is a blended program I would have to relocate in order to participate in face-to-face requirements, which isn't a viable option for me.

I also noticed the link to the APA webpage contains another link that lists programs that are 100% online which is much more of a realistic option for me. Interestingly, these programs that are regionally accredited (i.e. Capella, Walden, etc.). But I've been reading about these institutions and most of what I have read implies a Ph.D. from one of these institutions is worthless.

To answer your question, I am mostly interested in obtaining a Ph.D. because I would like to become an Instructor, and eventually a Professor. Also, I would feel more occupationally secure by elevating my credentials. I have 2 Master's Degrees. I completed a Terminal Master's Program in Clinical Psychology and I've passed the EPPP with a score above doctoral level (at least in the tristate area). I also have a Master's Degree in Instructional Design and Educational Technology. I have experience in direct care but very little experience in education. Ideally, I would like to teach full time and have the option to practice psychotherapy and/or do free-lance Instructional Design for supplemental income.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've read a lot of harsh comments about the stigma associated with obtaining a doctorate degree from an online program that is only regionally accredited. Some have even said a resume showing a doctorate that came from Capella will only end up in the trash can at any respectable educational institution.. If I could have some reassurance that the time and effort would be helpful in pursuing a career in higher education, I would be more than satisfied. I've even learned that Capella gives you the option to teach undergraduate level courses while completing their program. It seems to me that experience alone would be helpful and serve my primary purpose. However, since I don't have teaching experience, I'm really struggling with choosing the next best step for me to take..

Thanks...

Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I was wondering if you wanted to teach, or if you worked in the commercial world in "human factors" or something like that, in which case you have a better chance with an on line program. While I am not a professor, I have worked in higher ed for over 25 years and I can virtually guarantee you that a CV with a PhD from Capella, Walden, etc. will end up in the trash can. It is extremely difficult and highly competitive to get a teaching job at an institution of higher ed and, with a Capella type degree you are not even in the race. Based on what you have, in my opinion, you are better off using your terminal degree. Try and get some experience as an adjunct at a local community college. If you can get some teaching experience and you feel teaching is for you, try and get a full time instructors job. Keep in mind that a terminal degree does not mean that you wont spend years being an adjunct at multiple institutions (at the same time) just so you can make enough to get by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities