Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:21 PM

14 posts, read 15,110 times

Advertisements

So I'm 22 and I will be graduating from college in a few months. There aren't really any good jobs for a BA in my field, so I want to go straight to Grad School, but I don't have the means to pay it, so my parents will have to. I'll probably also be living with them, as my college is close by. Is this normal? Also, I'm taking 9 semesters to graduate instead of 8. I started college in Fall 2012 and I'll be done in Fall 2016. Is that normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
You might want to consult your parents on that one. Some parents will pay for a BA, not all parents or even most and not for all BA's. Many of them will tell you an MA is on your own, ie, you take the loans out for it. You are an adult now. After all your parents may have other children or be saving for their retirement so don't presume they will want to pony up the money. You may have to get a job in addition to going to school and taking loans so good time management and good decision making is a priority.

Make sure this MA is worth taking to establish a career that will enable you to live well as opposed to the BA. I wouldn't worry about what is normal. What is normal for you may be different than what is normal for others. You will drive yourself crazy thinking that way.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:36 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpinrni View Post
So I'm 22 and I will be graduating from college in a few months. There aren't really any good jobs for a BA in my field, so I want to go straight to Grad School, but I don't have the means to pay it, so my parents will have to. I'll probably also be living with them, as my college is close by. Is this normal? Also, I'm taking 9 semesters to graduate instead of 8. I started college in Fall 2012 and I'll be done in Fall 2016. Is that normal?
I wouldn't concern myself with what everyone else is doing. Most people--including college educated folks--are living payday to payday or going further in debt. Concern yourself with getting a marketable degree for the lowest cost possible. If that means living with your parents, so be it.

I will say that here in the SF Bay Area, I know lots of people in their late 20s who live at home with their parents, because even sharing a place with roommates has gotten so darn expensive.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
So I'm 22 and I will be graduating from college in a few months. There aren't really any good jobs for a BA in my field, so I want to go straight to Grad School, but I don't have the means to pay it, so my parents will have to.
Do you parents know you expect that from them?

Quote:
I'll probably also be living with them, as my college is close by. Is this normal?
While it is not normal for graduate students to live with their parents, it may not be all that unusual.
Again, are they okay with your plan?

Quote:
Also, I'm taking 9 semesters to graduate instead of 8. I started college in Fall 2012 and I'll be done in Fall 2016. Is that normal?
Not in my experience. And extra semester just adds to the costs of college.

Why all the concern over what is "normal". It is not like you can change your major or graduate on time at this point, right?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 15,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you parents know you expect that from them?

While it is not normal for graduate students to live with their parents, it may not be all that unusual.
Again, are they okay with your plan?

Not in my experience. And extra semester just adds to the costs of college.

Why all the concern over what is "normal". It is not like you can change your major or graduate on time at this point, right?
I never saidI could change anything. I just don't want to be the only one taking longer than 4 years.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:11 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Sometimes,yes. My will go directly to grad school - but they need to, for their majors. If they were in majors where they could find instant employment after college, we would absolutely welcome themhome!

If they attend local grad schools (which I would LOVE) - they would be welcome to live with us, as we collectively pay their loans.

So,while every family is different - that would be what we would do.

And no, It is not "abnormal".

Old 05-23-2016, 01:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
I never saidI could change anything. I just don't want to be the only one taking longer than 4 years.
Among my daughter's friends, at a major state Flagstaff public University, about 60% were able to graduate in four years. Most did it in 4 1/2 but a few took longer.

This was especially ironic as the University has a special contract that they will sign with first semester freshman that says that if the student does not change majors and takes the required classes as scheduled the University guarantees that the student can graduate in four years, even if the University has to substitute other classes (for their major) for required classes that are not offered or are filled when the student needs to take them in the sequence.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:

Why worry about "normal"? If it's agreeable to both you and your parents do what works!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Why worry about "normal"? If it's agreeable to both you and your parents do what works!
Yea theres nothing wrong with living with your parents after college.
Most people do.
Even I did not just to save a bit of money but Im close to my family.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I would say that it's still not normal, but is certainly becoming more normal. More often I see people returning home after they have been working and realize they can't afford the rent on their own until they find a better paying job after some years of experience. In some cases that extends well beyond the age of 30.

As for the time to graduate, the average is actually 5 years now, so you are slightly ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities