Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 08:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
or rather, I didn't need my professors to recommend me for internships. the professor I researched under recommended me to a job in another field that pays around half of what i get now.

Google hires more than software engineers.....not all entry level jobs at Google pay 100k+.

If my attitude was a problem, I wouldn't have job or have been given a raise at my job.
You know (or perhaps you don't), if you really want to make more (and likewise, do more) the best way would to become really involved in what your company actually does - that is, in its primary business (assuming you don't work for some software house - many of which fold/merge constantly and aren't very stable).

Of course, that does mean that you would eventually move away from the computer field for the most part and become more involved in various other aspects. Sooner or later though you're going to do that anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You know (or perhaps you don't), if you really want to make more (and likewise, do more) the best way would to become really involved in what your company actually does - that is, in its primary business (assuming you don't work for some software house - many of which fold/merge constantly and aren't very stable).

Of course, that does mean that you would eventually move away from the computer field for the most part and become more involved in various other aspects. Sooner or later though you're going to do that anyway.
thanks for this advice.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:20 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
By the way, the ivies aren't the top schools in CS. Stanford, MIT, Georgia Tech, UCLA are all better than Harvard, Yale, and Penn in this field.
Curious, OP, why didn't you go to GT?

Sorry if that's been answered already. Haven't made it through the thread yet.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Curious, OP, why didn't you go to GT?

Sorry if that's been answered already. Haven't made it through the thread yet.
to make a long story simple, let's just say I wasn't sure what i wanted to study in college, so I went to uga because it offers more majors.

I ended up choosing cs the second semester of my sophomore year. if I wanted to transfer to tech, graduating college would have taken me at least 6 years total.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The one thing that raises a huge red flag about you (aside from your whines and complaints) is that you didn't know what you wanted to major in at the university.

Most people who are in the STEM fields know early on what they want. And almost always by the last couple of years of high school. I know that from my own personal experience. Many of the students at Ga Tech fit in that category and, in truth, are a year or so ahead of the game before they even start. And some vastly increase that edge thru their their own personal interests (in addition to the course work) while there.

Companies know that very well. And will pay for it.

So why would it have taken you (an honors student) 6 years to graduate from Ga Tech? Their program lasts 4 years, not 6.
Quote:
ya, I didn't know from the start. When I got into the major I did a co op, 2 summer internships, research, and had a 4.0 GPA my last 2 semesters of college.

I'm very curious what all of you would consider a good student if I'm a bad one.

And also art history, sociology, and music majors who graduate from top schools can also easily get top software jobs.

I changed majors my second semester of sophomore year. I would have to apply as a junior. Most of the courses in the department wouldn't have transferred.
I don't see that Weichert said you were a "bad student"

What I'm reading is that very successful STEM students simply are not wishy-washy about their studies. They are motivated from an early age to succeed in the STEM fields. They tend to be fully prepared before they even enter college. I can imagine this to be true. Someone earlier posted that kids who go to the Ivies start preparing at 13. I know several 13-year-olds in my life who fit these descriptions. Some will go Ivy, some will go MIT, some will go GT. I bet very few will go UGA. Not because UGA is a crummy school. But because it's not a top-tier STEM school. And these are top-tier STEM students.

You'll be fine. Focus on building a stellar reputation and developing a VERY strong work ethic.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I don't see that Weichert said you were a "bad student"

What I'm reading is that very successful STEM students simply are not wishy-washy about their studies. They are motivated from an early age to succeed in the STEM fields. They tend to be fully prepared before they even enter college. I can imagine this to be true. Someone earlier posted that kids who go to the Ivies start preparing at 13. I know several 13-year-olds in my life who fit these descriptions. Some will go Ivy, some will go MIT, some will go GT. I bet very few will go UGA. Not because UGA is a crummy school. But because it's not a top-tier STEM school. And these are top-tier STEM students.

You'll be fine. Focus on building a stellar reputation and developing a VERY strong work ethic.
i think they changed the SAT, but I had a 2250 sat score and a 4.3 or something GPA (top 5% of my class of 600 students), 11 ap courses (ap cal bc and ap physics C were 2 classes I took), a student council rep, student ambassador, weekly volunteer at local hospital, head of prom committee, varsity softball team all 4 years, captain of softball team my senior year, worked part time, and was in chorus all 4 years and was in 3 musicals.

apparently that is wishy washy.

anyway, from where I was to where I am today (pathetic job, graduated from pathetic college, etc), i failed myself. I want others to learn and be successful.

at lot of your life is determined by 22 (really 18), especially in this day and age. This isn't a roaring America. you have to be in the top 1 or 2 % or struggle for existence. A lot of people in the world desire what the average American has and is willing to do it for half the price. This isn't a country for mediocrity like I achieved. No one explained that to me when I went to college.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 06-17-2016 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
i'm not moving to 100k anything soon at my job. They don't pay software developers that much.

I applied to the companies which sent requiters to the school I attended. I had a realistic shot at those jobs. high named companies don't bring requiters to UGA .

There's an econ term called "opportunity costs". Time is limited when you work part time, do undergraduate research, and take 17 credits. I applied where I had a realistic shot of getting a job.

you go to a big named school, top named requiters come at your door, you have a realistic shot of getting employed there.

you go to mediocre state school, mediocre companies appear, and that's where one gets employed.
Wait...what??

All these pages of complaining about jobs you didn't even APPLY to??? And you claim you're "not one to waste time"???

OP, that's your problem right there: you gotta be in it to win it. The recent grads you know that make $100K+ had the confidence to apply and sold themselves well enough that high paying companies bought it. It didn't hurt that they went to top schools, but if they didn't apply, they wouldn't have gotten those high paying jobs. If they moped around saying "no one hires art history majors, why oh why did I major in art history" then they would be working at Starbucks and complaining on online forums. Instead they make $100K+ (according to you)

Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Wait...what??

All these pages of complaining about jobs you didn't even APPLY to??? And you claim you're "not one to waste time"???

OP, that's your problem right there: you gotta be in it to win it. The recent grads you know that make $100K+ had the confidence to apply and sold themselves well enough that high paying companies bought it. It didn't hurt that they went to top schools, but if they didn't apply, they wouldn't have gotten those high paying jobs. If they moped around saying "no one hires art history majors, why oh why did I major in art history" then they would be working at Starbucks and complaining on online forums. Instead they make $100K+ (according to you)
who applies to jobs they know they have no shot at? no one.

why do recruiters go to some schools and not to others?

they have their targets. they knew their degree from a top school gave them immediate access to the best jobs.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
I knew better than to apply to high end employers. It takes time to tailor a resume/cover letter/etc for a job. I'm not one to waste my time.
Cover letters? Forget about it, recruiters don't have time to read them and technical people don't care about them. If you don't apply to high-end employers, you don't get high-end jobs. You think you're hot stuff, yes? (you can't credibly say no after what you've said about Java) You're a team lead; that looks good on a resume. Put that resume together, find the career pages for the high-end employers, and start sending resumes out. Probably take less time than complaining here. Then if you don't get any response, or if you get responses like "Ewww, we'd never consider a UGA grad, why didn't you go to Tech?", you can come back here and complain about your college holding you back. Until then, it's YOU holding you back.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
i think they changed the SAT, but I had a 2250 sat score and a 4.3 or something GPA (top 5% of my class of 600 students), 11 ap courses, a student council rep, student ambassador, head of prom committee, varsity softball team all 4 years, captain of softball team my senior year, worked part time, and was in chorus all 4 years and was in 3 musicals.

apparently that is wishy washy.

anyway, from where I was to where I am today (pathetic job, graduated from pathetic college, etc), i failed myself.
Nope, it isn't wishy washy at all. In truth though, UGA seems to have been a much better choice for you than Ga Tech. Given your background.

Many students at STEM schools are much more interested in certain fields, are consumed by them, some would even say possessed and driven by them with little or no interest in anything else.

My background was much more one sided than yours. For me it was math. And nothing else. I had absolutely no interest in musicals, chorus, student council, etc, None of that mattered to me. Only math (and later physics because of its mathematical structure). By the 10th grade I had totally exhausted what my high school offered in math and was then allowed to take advanced math courses at the local state university. And later got degrees in math/physics. Thats what I meant by personal experience.

Frankly, that obsessive commitment is what I see as lacking in your CS background as compared to others that I have met in various STEM fields (including CS). So far anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities