Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But that is an issue because the coursework is spread out beyond a year now. That doesn't negate that it perhaps could be condensed so that exposure to all the necessary topics is within a year...duh
Nah, just sit through a Barbri or similar prep course for a month or two and you should be set. It's basically cramming based on outlines and notes, but the 2 grand they charge is a lot cheaper than six figures for 3 years of law school, so it's definitely a shortcut if the particular State allows. If you've got a really good handle on self-discipline you can buy the books off of a recent bar examinee for about 1/3 the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This entire thread is a hoot. It's amusing to get this peek into what non-lawyers think about law school and the bar exam.
In all fairness, the 3rd year of law school is a total waste of time and a pure money grab by schools. It would be far more useful to apprentice with a practicing attorney.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Nah, just sit through a Barbri or similar prep course for a month or two and you should be set. It's basically cramming based on outlines and notes, but the 2 grand they charge is a lot cheaper than six figures for 3 years of law school, so it's definitely a shortcut if the particular State allows. If you've got a really good handle on self-discipline you can buy the books off of a recent bar examinee for about 1/3 the cost.

Even in states that allow reading the law as opposed to law school, you still have to apprentice under a practicing attorney, and you almost certainly will never be allowed to waive into another state to practice. It's only 4 or 5 states that allow it, anyway.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
In all fairness, the 3rd year of law school is a total waste of time and a pure money grab by schools. It would be far more useful to apprentice with a practicing attorney.
My law school has lots of clinic opportunities that people did 3rd year, and since they were overseen by faculty rather than random attorneys, I would guess that there was a more consistent educational experience. Between that, moot court, law review, etc. there's plenty to fill up that third year along with the chance for some additional courses. Of course it adds to the cost, but I personally felt there was a benefit to that year.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:35 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Even in states that allow reading the law as opposed to law school, you still have to apprentice under a practicing attorney, and you almost certainly will never be allowed to waive into another state to practice. It's only 4 or 5 states that allow it, anyway.
Yeah, the ABA tries to keep a pretty tight rein on that for obvious reasons. If I remember correctly, WI will waive the bar requirement altogether if you graduate from UW law.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:08 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Yeah, the ABA tries to keep a pretty tight rein on that for obvious reasons. If I remember correctly, WI will waive the bar requirement altogether if you graduate from UW law.
Really?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:09 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,395 times
Interestingly enough, starting next year the California Bar Exam (non-attorney applicant exam) will be shortened. Currently, the California Bar Exam (non-attorney applicant) is a 3 day exam. Starting next summer (July 2017) it will become a 2 day exam instead. I think a lot has to do with cutting costs. I suppose everything needed to evaluate if you will be a "competent" (yes, I write it with quotes) lawyer can be boiled down to a 2 day exam starting next year. You wonder if the bar exam could be cut from 3 days to 2 days, that law schools could cut out the 3rd year of law school and even second semester of the 2nd year of law school.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
I'm a lawyer and disagree with the reasons OP has stated because they are absurd, but in fairness, you can pass the bar with a prep course and while I learned many interesting things in law school, not the least of which is to question things, strive for good judgment, etc., nothing I learned is directly relevant to my practice now.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:21 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Given that you rarely learn anything useful in the practice of law after the first year, two years would suffice in my view. Considering how utterly useless first-year associates always are, the last year of school clearly did not accomplish much. Go take BAR/BRI or whatever and save $50K. Don't get me wrong, the electives in the last year will surely make you a well rounded lawyer but the cost for that is rather too steep. Being a lawyer is no rocket science. Neither is being a doctor. Nor being an entrepreneur. That's the truth.

Mick

Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Well, I used to think the same thing about high school, until I started college, that is.

I was a trouble-maker in H.S. & never went past the 9th grade. When I was 16 I took the GED.
Actually, my mom sorta tricked me into it & I had to take it with zero preparation.

I thought she was giving me a ride to a friend's house until she made a "wrong" turn. Our conversation:

Me: What are you doing? You were supposed to go straight!
Mom: You have an appointment. To take the GED.
Me: WHAT!?
Mom: You are going to take the GED.
Me: I can't take my GED now, I'm not ready, I won't pass! This is stupid!
Mom: Whats stupid is that you are a H.S. dropout with a part time job in fast-food, living under
my roof. Now THAT is stupid.
Me: OMG, Mom! You have to take a class!
Mom: You will pass.
Me: Wait! There is a book, moooom, I don't even have the book!
Mom: You will pass.

So...I passed.

Not only that but I passed really well & one day I got a letter from the White House encouraging me to "consider furthering your education".

I was rather full of myself after that. I even thought that I was the smarter one between my sister (valedictorian) & I because I didn't "need" all those boring years of school like everybody else.

2 years later, I did end up deciding to "further my education" & started college at age 18 like everyone else.

OMG I was a total mess. First day, right off the bat, I was lost. Taking notes? Writing papers? Massive textbooks ..how do I know WHAT to study? Test taking.

That's when it hit me: It's not what I didn't learn that was my handicap...It was that I never learned HOW to learn!

Now, I didn't study law (would love to, actually). But maybe thats something that you can't possibly have perspective on until you have "made it through to the other side"?

Last edited by coschristi; 06-08-2016 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: & I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities