Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRight View Post
When did I say beliefs I don't like don't exist? I said I'm against these things, not that they don't exist. I know what the Left believes. What will I get from being around them?
I will learn new ideas at NSA( the ideas of all those Classical authors I read) As I said before, I could just as easily say that the kids at Reed are being indoctrinated. You should read Ben Shapiros book "Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth" There's very few people as smart as he is. He attended UCLA and Harvard Law, and said that he wrote like a Communist because professors would give bad grades to those with conservative opinions. He also recommended that "Conservatives look for schools that are in line with their values" Let me tell you something else. I was at one point very interested in a small Liberal Arts college in the North. I asked the admissions office if there were any Conservstive professors in the Politicsl Science department. They gave me the name of the 1 Conservstive in the department, and I contacted him.( I'm not giving out the name of the college or the professor, because our contact was confidential) I asked him the following question
"I have heard stories about conservative students getting bad grades at Liberal colleges due to their views. This is something I really want to avoid. Would I get points taken off of papers because of my conservative views at X College?"

He said "Like so many schools we have taken a lurch to the left. You will experience that at most schools. X is probably toward the worse end of the spectrum in this regard. But there are conservative students here and they will make good fellows. I would hope most of the faculty would be open to diverse views, but I am a realist. To be in the minority always takes some courage; but it is good for the soul."

That being the case, why should I attend a secular school at all?
Again, are you really asking for thoughts, or do you just want to argue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM

48 posts, read 41,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
A secular school like Harvard?
As I said, I want a Conservative safe-space for undergrad. I'll deal with Harvard when I get there.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Again, are you really asking for thoughts, or do you just want to argue?
I wanted y'all's thoughts on the article and the college.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM

"There are those who wouldn't find that sort of a higher ed experience to be particularly worthwhile or enlightening. "
Could you elaborate?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
This person just wants to argue. He or she keeps bringing up politics in an education sub-forum. The OP should try posting in the Politics and Controversies or Religion forum.

New Saint Andrews is nationally accredited. That means that there will be a limited number of schools where the credits will transfer and a limited number of graduate schools that will recognize their undergraduate degrees. Degrees earned at regionally accredited schools are accepted just about anywhere. Some state and local government agencies don't even recognize national accreditors. They're legitimate, but largely regarded as less rigorous in their accreditation standards.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:03 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
OP: Getting an education at a school where everyone thinks just like you is just a bad idea, whether you re liberal or conservative, devout or athiest, post-modern or classical. It isn't fundamentally a college education if you never have to argue, defend, or explain your beliefs to fellow students or professors when it comes to things political, social, or spiritual. It's studying in an echo chamber, not a university.

You say you want a "safe" space for your conservative beliefs. Well, a real education is NOT safe. It is challenging, intellectually dangerous, and exposes you up to ideas and experiences you've never had -- both academic and otherwise. This place appears ill-suited to do that.

My thoughts are as before: Find a more highly respected (and more highly accredited) religious school to attend like Wheaton (non-denominational Christian), or Pepperdine (Churches of Christ), or Thomas More (Catholic, but into the Great Books and highly intellectual). Or pick a big secular schools that has the coursework you want. You can find that at Chicago, Columbia, and St. John's, among many others. And like I say, almost all big secular schools have a community of socially and religiously conservative students to join.

Got to school to get what you need, not just what you think you want.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
OP: Getting an education at a school where everyone thinks just like you is just a bad idea, whether you re liberal or conservative, devout or athiest, post-modern or classical. It isn't fundamentally a college education if you never have to argue, defend, or explain your beliefs to fellow students or professors when it comes to things political, social, or spiritual. It's studying in an echo chamber, not a university.

You say you want a "safe" space for your conservative beliefs. Well, a real education is NOT safe. It is challenging, intellectually dangerous, and exposes you up to ideas and experiences you've never had -- both academic and otherwise. This place appears ill-suited to do that.

My thoughts are as before: Find a more highly respected (and more highly accredited) religious school to attend like Wheaton (non-denominational Christian), or Pepperdine (Churches of Christ), or Thomas More (Catholic, but into the Great Books and highly intellectual). Or pick a big secular schools that has the coursework you want. You can find that at Chicago, Columbia, and St. John's, among many others. And like I say, almost all big secular schools have a community of socially and religiously conservative students to join.

Got to school to get what you need, not just what you think you want.
How about Hillsdale?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:30 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I know Hillsdale rep is very politically conservative and its academics very traditional. As to the religious angle and social living conditions I don't know. But it is IIRC regionally accredited, which is good. It might be worth looking into.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRight View Post
"There are those who wouldn't find that sort of a higher ed experience to be particularly worthwhile or enlightening. "
Could you elaborate?
Sure.

Many look to college as a time to broaden horizons and gain perspective beyond whatever is already ingrained. One could argue that surrounding yourself only with people who are in lockstep with you and never challenge your ideas is intellectually lazy.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:15 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times
I don't think you'd actually be accepted to harvard law school from a college like this. I mean, go ahead and try. it's your money.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 06-17-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities