U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ 10/06/09
129 posts, read 415,952 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

I wonder what happend to all the big players that responded to this subject went to? Maybe their giving their opinion on what to wear to their next online date? I'm going to look into this AMU thing myself.......

 
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM
 
1,038 posts, read 1,035,623 times
Reputation: 983
I've got to chiime in as well. I understand some people feel that online degrees don't prepare you well, and I know a lot of military families benefit from places like AMU.

Here's my situation:

I will be graduating with a BS in History and Political Science (comparative politics concentration) from one of the major universities in Michigan. I have a 3.77 GPA and have worked an internship at a local historical society museum and archive as well as operated as part of a political campaign.

However, unless I stay at my current university (which I don't want to do), I have to leave the state to find a Masters program I like. Which costs A LOT, and to be honest, the cost terrifies me. I never planned on being rich but having 50000 dollars of debt from undergrad and graduate school is not something I could ever see paying off working for the government or a historical society.

Therefore, an online degree looks good to me. Especially for historians, I think it fits perfectly. Sure, you don't get the 1 on 1 that academia loves, but I don't plan on teaching. However, I would be using technology and doing extensive research and writing, which public history and other forms of historical employers should love.

So it really seems to me that someplace respectable like AMU would be a good choice. My only question is, is it good enough for a civilian looking to break in somewhere? I'm not in the military and I'm not already established. Will it be enough to get my foot in the door somewhere?
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 PM
 
409 posts, read 2,279,727 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnryOne View Post
I wonder what happend to all the big players that responded to this subject went to? Maybe their giving their opinion on what to wear to their next online date? I'm going to look into this AMU thing myself.......

It did create alot of opinions..... Where you able to find usefull information on it?
 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Dunwoody,GA
1,780 posts, read 4,279,858 times
Reputation: 1703
FYI, APUS/AMU is now up to more than 50,000 students. Enrollment went up more than 40% last year, and a similar increase is expected again this year.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
514 posts, read 1,472,425 times
Reputation: 265
I received my Bachelors from American Military University. It is regionally and nationally accredited. It is great for Military folks and those who work full time. Many people have gotten a commission through the Armed Forces with a Degree from AMU.

It's a really great school that caters to the working individual. They offer many degrees and have teachers with much experience. I say go for it.
 
Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
514 posts, read 1,472,425 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
So it really seems to me that someplace respectable like AMU would be a good choice. My only question is, is it good enough for a civilian looking to break in somewhere? I'm not in the military and I'm not already established. Will it be enough to get my foot in the door somewhere?
Yea this is a tough one. I'd be skepticle of online degrees too; but most of the guys I know that went or is in AMU right now are working in their field. Such as myself, I have a military logistics background and I got my degree in Transportation and Logisitics Management. So with the degree and my experience, I was able to use it to my advantage to get a good job and I'll use it again to get a commission. It maybe tough for a civilian with an online degree with no realworld experience and skillsets to break into a particular field.
 
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,273 times
Reputation: 12
I am an educator in Pennsylvania and the Department of Education recognizes AMU and APUS as accredited institutions for teachers to continue their education by way of Act 48 (all teachers in the state have to be recertified every five years). Before taking any courses from AMU, I checked with the Department of Education and the University is on the list, and as mentioned, many teachers take courses through APUS/AMU for recertification. For all those criticizing the university as not worthy into attending should do further checking instead of sitting behind a computer and googling.
 
Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 AM
 
1 posts, read 6,008 times
Reputation: 12
Default Accreditation And Credit Tranfser

For all of you worried about accreditation I will not repost what has already been said here except for the fact that AMU IS accredited. As far as credit transfer is concerned, I an attaching this following link to the SOC consortium.

http://www.soc.aascu.org/pubfiles/socmisc/UNIV_COLL.pdf (broken link)

This is a list of schools who have agreed to take any and all credits from any school on the list. Hard to find a school that does NOT take AMU credits.

I am currently a student at AMU due to the unpredictable nature of my work schedule. Make your own decisions.

Oh yes I just flew by here on my way to work.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
 
3 posts, read 51,431 times
Reputation: 17
You should look into it. I actually was in a History Master's program with AMU before I changed majors and decided to go back into Federal Government work (I have a BA in History with a minor in Middle Eastern Studies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I've got to chiime in as well. I understand some people feel that online degrees don't prepare you well, and I know a lot of military families benefit from places like AMU.

Here's my situation:

I will be graduating with a BS in History and Political Science (comparative politics concentration) from one of the major universities in Michigan. I have a 3.77 GPA and have worked an internship at a local historical society museum and archive as well as operated as part of a political campaign.

However, unless I stay at my current university (which I don't want to do), I have to leave the state to find a Masters program I like. Which costs A LOT, and to be honest, the cost terrifies me. I never planned on being rich but having 50000 dollars of debt from undergrad and graduate school is not something I could ever see paying off working for the government or a historical society.

Therefore, an online degree looks good to me. Especially for historians, I think it fits perfectly. Sure, you don't get the 1 on 1 that academia loves, but I don't plan on teaching. However, I would be using technology and doing extensive research and writing, which public history and other forms of historical employers should love.

So it really seems to me that someplace respectable like AMU would be a good choice. My only question is, is it good enough for a civilian looking to break in somewhere? I'm not in the military and I'm not already established. Will it be enough to get my foot in the door somewhere?
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
 
3 posts, read 51,431 times
Reputation: 17
AMU is accredited and look on very respectfully, especially for those in law enforcement, state and federal government, and military or defense contracting. Military.com and most of the military times magazines (Army Times, Navy Times, etc) raved about AMU. I am currently an AMU student who is a 1/4 of the way through a Master's Program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top