Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:42 PM

749 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

The nursing field is traditionally female dominated, but there has been attempts at bringing more men into the profession. Admission into nursing school is usually pretty competitive, do you think it is easier for men to get in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 07:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Are you asking if there are male quotas?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Are you asking if there are male quotas?
Something around those lines.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 PM

20 posts, read 29,384 times
I doubt it to be honest. But as for actual jobs, yes I do believe male nurses tend to get hired faster just because they're a minority in the field overall. It's the same deal with women in engineering/tech as well in my opinion.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:19 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I've been an RN for 24 years but I have never worked in Nursing education.

This is just my observation:

I've never thought there was much influence for getting males into nursing programs. However, some schools

have pre-program aptitude type testing that seem skewed towards male applicants.

When I went through these tests I was actually told not to major in any area where I would have to rely on

Math or Science! I ended up getting straight "A's" through my "Math for Health Sciences" course & was the ONLY

person in the state of Colorado to pass my State Boards in 1994 without the use of a calculator! (first try, may I add)

What did annoy me, however, was that once working in Nursing; men seemed to be selected much more

for administrative positions. In my graduating class we had just 3 men; 2 of them ended up going back to school

to continue into areas of medicine that did not require direct patient care. My other personal observation was that

male nurses are either more desirable (or maybe desire more, themselves) to work in the Emergency/Trauma

departments.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM

197 posts, read 261,111 times
I'm a male RN that graduated in 2007. I have never witnessed any hiring quotas or acceptance quotas during school or out in the workforce. We are still a very small minority in the profession. Especially straight males Especially straight white males The smart straight white males go to medical school! Something I wished I would have done. Nursing for myself as a male has been a huge eye opener and wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I'd say a male would have a leg up over a female for two reasons:

1) Physical.......we tend to be more robust, can do heavier lifting, suffer less injuries, help with combative and aggressive patients etc.

2) Male nurses (straight ones more so than gay ones) tend to not get involved in all the gossip, backstabbing, and drama that many female nurses get caught up in.

Oh one other thing sometimes men are much better able to handle the emotional stress and feelings that go with witnessing the amount of human suffering etc. nurses see. Not saying they are necessarily better but we just handle things differently. And I've witnessed even some males being more compassionate and empathetic than some females. Interesting dynamic at play sometimes.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
The nursing field is traditionally female dominated, but there has been attempts at bringing more men into the profession. Admission into nursing school is usually pretty competitive, do you think it is easier for men to get in ?
Not at all. Where I live (NC), schools admit students based your GPA after taking required prerequisite classes. Students are also admitted based on a point system, along with HESI test scores. I've been told that only 1/3 applicants are admitted into the nursing program. In fact, one of the male Chemistry tutors applied into the nursing program and didn't get admitted.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There is no pressure to hire males into traditionally female jobs. The reason for the movement to hire more females in traditionally male jobs has to do with gender pay inequity.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 AM

http://www.succeednursingschool.com/...ursing-school/

There are unofficial claims that nursing schools typically accept 20-25% males.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Wouldn't it be too unPC to make it easier for men to get in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities