U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 AM

48 posts, read 26,563 times

Advertisements

What do you guys know about this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,518,157 times
It is the preferred school of the Far Right in Michigan and elsewhere.

Given their extreme ideological bent, I wouldn't recommend it as a quality school.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:28 AM

27 posts, read 88,051 times
Berkeley and Brandeis also have an extreme ideological bent, but that doesn't mean they're not quality schools. I don't think Hillsdale is the best school ever founded or anything, but it's not bad, and for those who are interested in "liberal arts for conservatives" it's probably fine.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:47 PM

6,763 posts, read 9,750,547 times
The OP has already started a few other threads like this. He is looking for an extremely conservative college, and I believe Hillsdale was brought up in one of his threads.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:30 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRight View Post
What do you guys know about this place?
You can read about the campus online, then if it interests you and has your major, go for a visit!
A campus tour and talking to students will help you decide if it is a good fit for you.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:25 PM

5,761 posts, read 3,043,495 times
VMI
Citadel

Can't get much more conservative than a military college you pay to attend.

OP, what are you really looking for? Are you looking for a quality education while around those with conservative values or are you looking for a school that will tell you what you want to hear?

I'm a conservative, about as conservative as they come. But in the true Constitutional sense of the word, which means a serious quality education with deep thinkers and challenging debate. There are plenty of colleges that meet that requirement. Honestly from the various posts on here, it seems you are really more interested in a place that doesn't challenge you; a place without educational risk. If that's the case, Bob Jones University.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
VMI
Citadel

Can't get much more conservative than a military college you pay to attend.

OP, what are you really looking for? Are you looking for a quality education while around those with conservative values or are you looking for a school that will tell you what you want to hear?

I'm a conservative, about as conservative as they come. But in the true Constitutional sense of the word, which means a serious quality education with deep thinkers and challenging debate. There are plenty of colleges that meet that requirement. Honestly from the various posts on here, it seems you are really more interested in a place that doesn't challenge you; a place without educational risk. If that's the case, Bob Jones University.
As an intellectual Paleoconservative, I'm absolutely willing to be challenged, but I want to be around like-minded people. In general, I'm looking for a small, academically rigorous, and fairly conservative college. That's why I asked about Hillsdale. It seems to meet all of these requirements. Schools like Bob Jones and Liberty are ridiculous in my view. I'm especially attracted to Hillsdale because it's well known, has a pretty large endowment for an LAC, has rigorous Classical academics, and is fairly conservative. My ultimate goal is to either go to a top law school and become a corporate attorney, or get into a top PhD program in Classics or Intellectual History and become an academic. ( yes, I know both fields are tough to get jobs in at the moment, but I want to do something I'll love doing) There aren't many young Paleoconservative scholars/professors, so maybe going into academe is my calling. Three guys I really admire are Dr. Paul Gottfried, Dr. E. Christian Kopff, and Dr. James Kurth. I want to be like these guys.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,497,718 times
Our local classical high school has sent a few kids to Hillsdale. Verdict I've heard is that it's an excellent traditional liberal arts education, but the weather is very very cold

Have you considered Washington & Lee?

Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Our local classical high school has sent a few kids to Hillsdale. Verdict I've heard is that it's an excellent traditional liberal arts education, but the weather is very very cold

Have you considered Washington & Lee?
Yes, I've looked into W&L. I'd love to go, but I don't think I have the stats to get in.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,615,271 times
It is a good school, but very expensive. They offered my daughter $23,000 in scholarships. She really wanted to go there, but it was still too expensive (I think the cost is around $50,000 per year).

Even with the scholarship, U - M was cheaper. She ended up going to U-M Dearborn so she could commute from home (plus she was already enrolled by the time Ann arbor got round to admitting her).

According to friend's kids who go there, it is not extreme conservative right, it is just far less left leaning than a typical university. Lots of focus on understanding the constitution.

It is heavily greek (fraternities and sororities) from what I understand. However the frats and sororities focus more on service than on drinking from what I am told.

They have a pretty good alumni network.

They are considered far right because they publish Imprimis a conservative newsletter that rush LImbaugh happens to like. Despite him liking it, Imprimis is not as far right as Rush Limbaugh and Hillsdale as a whole is not as far right as Imprimis. But it is a conservative school.

They have a beautiful campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities