Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,113,648 times

Advertisements

This might sound crazy but you might check out Vassar. it was originally one of what were called the Seven Sister Colleges but is now co-educational. It's small and I would say Preppy but not sure about conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,972,277 times
I heard Everest checks all of these boxes.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:23 AM

596 posts, read 425,507 times
I'm curious as to what colleges you are referring to when you say even 10 years ago that were conservative?

And, why would you want to go to an echo chamber? College is supposed to challenge your views, sharpen them by questioning them. If all you do is surround yourself with like minded people, you just think the same things. Your water balloon beliefs are never poked at and reinforced. You just unquestionably follow what the heard is doing. Do yourself a favor and go to a school that is not Conservative. Learn to hone your beliefs through fire and challenge. Otherwise you're just like all the Liberals who go to their own echo chambers and never have their own beliefs challenged. You don't want to be a Liberal do you?

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:29 AM

27 posts, read 110,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Or Emory and Henry, their mascot is a wasp.
Okay, that was funny.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,684,458 times
The only disadvantage to a small college is that sometimes, employers have not heard of these colleges and might mistakenly believe it's one of those online universities (not that there's anything wrong with online universities, per se, but many employers still have a bias).

Old 09-22-2016, 01:57 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
This might sound crazy but you might check out Vassar. it was originally one of what were called the Seven Sister Colleges but is now co-educational. It's small and I would say Preppy but not sure about conservative.

Somewhat Preppy but pretty liberal. My mother went there are really wanted me to follow in her steps. I did not want to attend a majority female school. I wanted a social life.

So I passed on Vassar. And Skidmore. Which is preppy but not terribly conservative.

Meryl Streep is another Vassar grad and she leans left. Two of her kids attend or attended there. Noy conservative. A little arty, actually, as the former sisters go.

Here are a few others - Trinity in Connecticut. Do not let the name freak you out. It was once affiliated with the Episcopal Church. Not sure if it still is. Lot's of popped polo collars.

Colgate. Hamilton. Williams, Dartmouth. *Maybe* Amherst.

And again, if you are not a stellar student, Hobart and Williams Smith (Geneva NY) are pretty preppy and WASPY.

I am hoping you will avoid places such as Liberty University, or Oral Roberts and Bob Jones. They really have bad names. They have been in and out of accreditation over the years and they are linked to some down scale scandals.

Oh, try Albion. You might like it.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:16 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
It is crazy. Vassar is one of the most politically and socially liberal campuses anywhere. Many of the students are wealthy, but preppy in the traditional sense? Not even close.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
It is crazy. Vassar is one of the most politically and socially liberal campuses anywhere. Many of the students are wealthy, but preppy in the traditional sense? Not even close.
I agree completely.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,630,907 times
college of William and Mary in Williamsburg VA or Wellesley College in MA

Old 09-23-2016, 03:12 PM

13 posts, read 10,670 times
Rollins College near Orlando, Florida - it's about 3000 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities