Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Didn't you already take Math when you first started college, and you weren't succeeding in it? It's your lack of personal hygiene, organizational and social skills that are preventing you from success, not any lack of academic skills. You would be 1000x better off spending that course a semester money on personalized, individualized social and life skills training (as I said previously, look into private speech therapists, or a certified life coach who has experience with autism spectrum disorders).

It doesn't matter what your degree is in as long as these issues interfere, but again even if you were to ever go back to school, it must be something you are VERY STRONG in naturally. Stop trying to swim upstream by taking things that are not naturally strong areas for you, that's why you're in the pickle you're in now.
Solid post, especially the point of "swimming upstream". The best bet is to concentrate on something you enjoy, and something you have an aptitude for..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Solid post, especially the point of "swimming upstream". The best bet is to concentrate on something you enjoy, and something you have an aptitude for..
I would agree with you, but it seems I have an aptitude only for languages and storytelling. I managed to get a degree in English and another in Education with a concentration in ESL, but I'm still only making enough to get by.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:00 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I would agree with you, but it seems I have an aptitude only for languages and storytelling. I managed to get a degree in English and another in Education with a concentration in ESL, but I'm still only making enough to get by.
Again, this has nothing to do with any lack of academic credentials. No degree matters if you can't make a good impression at an interview nor have professional references attesting to your ability to teach and communicate with the kids, staff and parents, period.

No parent in a public school would accept you as their child's teacher, and it has nothing to do with educational qualifications, but the daily life skills you struggle with. Until you get real help with that, you are wasting your time and money going back to school for anything.

And no, you cannot "develop" a strength in math if it's not naturally there.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

kmb501 - This isn't the first thread you've started about going back to school. And you've gotten the same answers in each one. You need to work on the issues that are holding you back instead of retreating to school which seems to be where you feel safe and unstressed. Another degree will not help. Facing your issues head on will.

Best of Luck.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 AM

981 posts, read 899,198 times
kmb, listen to the good advice that ocnjgirl and UNC4Me are giving you. from what i remember of your previous posts you struggle terribly with OCD, anxiety, probably asperger's, etc. that are keeping you from developing the social, emotional intelligence, and personal hygiene skills to advance both your personal and professional life. it is not your lack of academic qualification that is holding you back, it is your emotional skill. having faced similar issues i'm also not sure a life coach is the right approach (and the cost is probably too high anyway and not covered by insurance) or even a talk therapist (MSW degree). a psychiatrist or psychologist (probably a psychiatrist as they can prescribe medication) would be your best bet - imho, plain talk therapy did nothing to help me build new positive habits and behaviors. ocnjgirl posted a listing for a psychiatrist that looked great - many today have certifications in CBT and other behavior modification methods, which is what you need and they will take a much more scientific observational approach to your behavior and focus on helping you to identify trigger patterns in your thought process that derail you from making change (From your posts you seem to avoid doing anything to face real change behavior by presenting excuse after excuse). medication might be a good complement to the behavioral therapy as i think sometimes it can create a change in the brain chemistry that makes it easier for the behavior approaches to "stick". and ironically, the psychiatrist will probably be the most manageable from a cost perspective, and one stop shopping to boot. i know it seems impossible to change, but it Can be done - it just takes patience, persistence, and a willingness to change. instead of wasting time at these math classes, why dont you call that psychiatrist that ocnjgirl recommended TODAY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities