Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
The University of Chicago is now my favorite University in the nation, hopefully others will follow suit:

U. of C. tells incoming freshmen it does not support 'trigger warnings' or 'safe spaces' - Chicago Tribune

I suggest reading more at the link. I fully applaud them and I hope other universities/colleges also get rid of this "safe space, trigger warning" BS garbage!!!
You should definitely go there then. I mean you are definitely a soon to be college student, right? So you should definitely have a say about how colleges are run, since it directly effects you and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Microaggressions are an actual thing.

Or do you think that it's acceptable for white people to call black men "boy?" That's the best example of a pernicious micro-aggression.
Or to ask adoptive parents about the "real parents" of their children? An analogy the person you quoted maybe able to empathize with more.

Micro aggressions are real, they are hurtful, and there is nothing wrong with saying to someone "I don't like what you said and here is why".

Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
"Micro aggressions" sounds absurd. Pretty sure when I was a kid, we called that "being a d*ck" and people were told to "stop being a d*ck."

Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:

probably trying to pre-empt the kind of thing that happened at Mizzou.... where the administration was caught with their pants down essentially, letting students drive the train.
Agree, and I would add it appears that all had a very adverse effect on Mizzou. I believe the size of this year's Freshman class is way down, something like 30-40%, which, of course, has a major impact on the bottom line in the form of lost tuition and fee revenue.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Micro aggressions are real, they are hurtful, and there is nothing wrong with saying to someone "I don't like what you said and here is why".
But that's about the dumbest, euphemism out there today. When I hear it, I think:

Microagression = insult

Microagressor = azzhat or bully

Microagressee = wimp whose parents formed them into a special snowflake

We really didn't need new pc terms for any of that.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:53 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
I don't know when the term 'microaggression' became trendy to use, but I think a lot of people use it incorrectly.

I have a colleague who is also a chemistry professor who tricked his students by putting a very easy question on his test when they were expecting a similarly worded hard question based on old tests. Most of the class answered the hard question, probably because they didn't read it carefully enough. When he gave the test back, he said something about learning the concepts rather than mindlessly memorizing. I had to read his student evaluations as part of his mid tenure review, and one of the students claimed that his comments were a 'microaggression against those with a memorization-based learning style'.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't know when the term 'microaggression' became trendy to use, but I think a lot of people use it incorrectly.

I have a colleague who is also a chemistry professor who tricked his students by putting a very easy question on his test when they were expecting a similarly worded hard question based on old tests. Most of the class answered the hard question, probably because they didn't read it carefully enough. When he gave the test back, he said something about learning the concepts rather than mindlessly memorizing. I had to read his student evaluations as part of his mid tenure review, and one of the students claimed that his comments were a 'microaggression against those with a memorization-based learning style'.

That poor student probably had to run to a safe space on campus immediately after taking the test.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:07 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

This kind of thing is why student evals are a horrible tool for instructor evaluation. I'm someone who usually gets above average eval responses, but I hate them because everyone instructor will get comments like this.

My favorite eval response was "He grades too hard on easy tests which made my grade lower than it should have been."

The term "micro-aggression" comes from the 1970s & was coined by a Harvard psychiatrist & expanded by an MIT economist. It was originally used to describe derogatory language used toward African Americans. I prefer to call it "casual degradation" which I think is more accurate description than "micro-aggression." A good example from my life would be the way I used to say "that's gay" when I was in high school to describe anything I thought was weak or absurd.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Microaggressions are an actual thing.

Or do you think that it's acceptable for white people to call black men "boy?" That's the best example of a pernicious micro-aggression.
No. Actually, I would not classify calling a black man "boy", as "micro-aggression.

That is a racist comment. Always has been. So, no, that is not what I am referencing.

The incident with the chalk writing on the steps of a building at Brandies University, in Waltham MA, typifies what is called micro-aggression.

I'll look for a link - or you may Google it.

This involved some Asian students writing responses to stereotypes of Asians as a protest.
In response to alleged micro aggression.

One read something like "NO -I am not good at math."

One example of the "micro-aggression". But wait...it gets worse.

Other students thought that the very posting of these responses constituted a micro-aggression, and they felt "re-traumatized" by the protesters protests against micro-aggressions.

SO....The university had to remove the offending posts- which were posted by other offended people, and send every student an apologetic e-mail. For whatever micro-aggresion precipitated the protest AND to the people who were "triggered" by the protest.

CRAZY.

ETA -here you have it - http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/30/as...croagressions/

Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
That's nice, but I had to laugh at the talking heads on TV stating UC's policy that if professors want to go ahead and give trigger warnings, they're free to do so. In other words, lending credibility to this gar-baghe by referring to it matter-of-factly as if they were talking about a course load.

Gimmeabreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities