Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 PM

224 posts, read 285,998 times

Advertisements

I went back to school to complete a bachelor's in finance..I currently work full time and go to school part time. Well I'm taking my first accounting class and while I have 90's on my homework, I failed the first test which is worth 25%..I'm having second thoughts if pursuing this dream is worthwhile or not? I really dislike the professor's way of teaching which mostly consists of talking about his life. Unfortunately going to tutoring isn't really an option for me since my work schedule conflicts with tutoring hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:09 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
If you think you should give up, by all means do so!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
One minor setback and want to quit?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM

224 posts, read 285,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
One minor setback and want to quit?
Just wondering if it's even possible to get a B+ or better at this point. The second test is also worth 25% and the final cumulative exam is 25%.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Why give up? You haven't failed the course yet. If you can't get to the tutors during tutoring hours, find a good online site in your category of learning and try to find the answers yourself. It may mean more work, but if this is what you want, it will be worth it to you. I have to put in extra work even in the subjects I am good at (overall) simply because my learning style is a bit weird and my brain does not tend to organize what I've learned very well. Whatever...I'm paying for this education and even if it means more hours than the average student, I am darned well going to try to do a good job of it.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OP, talk to the prof. If his office hours aren't convenient to you, email him and ask to schedule a phone conversation, after you explain you're not able to attend his office hours. I think a phone convo would be better than trying to discuss it by email.

Why do you think you failed the test, if you were getting 90% on other assignments?

Old 09-20-2016, 08:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Oh, most definitely, always give up with the first setback, its the American Way!

Seriously----I have a Master's in accounting, and it wasn't easy. Its a matter of how you play the game. Is it too late to drop the course without having it appear on you record? I've played that card at times. You say the teacher is a joke, perhaps find some way to sidestep him? Could you come up with some "situation" such as a work/life/school conflict and request transfer to another section of the same class, thereby getting another instructor? Whatever you do, do NOT request another teacher because you are not satisfied with this one, you will seal your fate. Academia NEVER forgives/forgets. It seems to me the problem isn't the subject, its the lousey instructor you need to somehow get around.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, talk to the prof. If his office hours aren't convenient to you, email him and ask to schedule a phone conversation, after you explain you're not able to attend his office hours. I think a phone convo would be better than trying to discuss it by email.

Why do you think you failed the test, if you were getting 90% on other assignments?

Oh, that happens......the homework/assignments have no bearing on the test. If possible, find if they use standardized tests and try to track those down. See if there are old tests on file somewhere, I've actually found old tests in the library and the exams were an exact repeat!

Do you have a Beta Alpha Psi chapter? I was in BAP, we were required to staff tutoring labs. If you can make friends, they often have copies of old tests.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:24 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,252 times
Only you can decide what you want to be when you go grow up, but if you enjoy finance/accounting then don't give up. I have an accounting degree and a successful career in an accounting field. And I failed more than one accounting class. You've just failed one test. Talk to the teacher, work hard, and try to bring the grade up.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I went back to school to complete a bachelor's in finance..I currently work full time and go to school part time. Well I'm taking my first accounting class and while I have 90's on my homework, I failed the first test which is worth 25%..I'm having second thoughts if pursuing this dream is worthwhile or not? I really dislike the professor's way of teaching which mostly consists of talking about his life. Unfortunately going to tutoring isn't really an option for me since my work schedule conflicts with tutoring hours.
You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjc_NLDrq_w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities