Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:37 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I mean, who wouldn't want the equivalent of two mortgage payments at once?
Most people wouldn't, but then most people aren't graduating from CC with that kind of debt, either. Two is a bit rich, but, in any case, mine is an extreme example, posted for illustrative purposes, to combat jamies's screaming and fearmongering. Plus, it was worth it to me as it helped me land a six-figure job in the industry - and the company - in which I really wanted to work (which I couldn't do without the degree).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Trying to start school. The plan is community college then transfer to a 4 year to get my bachelors. I mentioned it to her and all she said was "good luck". The fact that the ALL of my family has never set foot inside of a college is frustrating so not getting help is absurd. I'm 23 recently moved back in with my mom specifically to go to school (our verbal agreement) and now she shows no interest. I am deeply concerned with my future. Not looking to be a millionaire or anything but just want a decent job that I like with an acceptable income. I guess the Million dollar question is what do i do now? I read online that I have to wait until I'm 24 or 25 until I'm independent and fill out my own fasfa?!? What are some other options to getting started on school? who would I talk to? any info on this matter is greatly appreciated. All I want is a college education!
To be independent by the age factor, you need be at least 24 at Jan 1 of the year you plan to attend in Fall. When do you turn 24? Make sure you fill out Fasfa by Feb 1 of that year.

My suggestion is use your time to prepare to succeed as a college student. Your wait time of a year or so will go by quickly.

Go to the Community College and talk to financial aid advisor. Get a plan in place. Then go take Compass tests at the CC's testing center to see how prepared you are. They are low cost and serve as placement devices. (You can take them multiple times.)

Then from your home, take free online Khan Academy classes in anything you need improve (and anything that sounds interesting). For instance Mathematics is a common stumbling block for many, so take at least one online math class. Develop study skills. Develop writing skills-- especially learn how to write quality theme papers. Practice, practice, practice. Learn how to make decent speeches & practice those skills. Build your vocabulary especially in areas of future study. After taking online classes & improving skills, go take the Compass tests again.

If you do these things when you do qualify for financial assistance & can afford to be a student, you will be very ready to be successful. And you will likely avoid the necessity of taking any (or many) of the remedial classes that are common to non-traditional college students.

***Meanwhile get a job or two & contribute a portion to your Mom. Depending on your proposed field of study, you will need some sort of laptop or maybe just a tablet. Consider something like a Surface Pro.

Good luck.

Last edited by historyfan; 10-11-2016 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-11-2016, 07:37 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Explain. I'm not being thick, I really want to know the logic behind the "just no". It seems like a fairly low-impact activity to the mom to begin with (which is why I am puzzled as to why she is being deliberately dickish to her child), so what's the downside?
It is illegal to fill out the FAFSA for someone else. The student fills it out certifying their info is correct as well as the parent and they certify the info is correct.

Does your parent understand that they are not responsible to pay for your education? By filling out the FAFSA it determines what money you may be eligible for.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:16 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
It is illegal to fill out the FAFSA for someone else. The student fills it out certifying their info is correct as well as the parent and they certify the info is correct.

Does your parent understand that they are not responsible to pay for your education? By filling out the FAFSA it determines what money you may be eligible for.
Just to be clear, while the parent is not responsible to pay, the FAFSA formula works as if they are. Which is where many students whose parents can pay and refuse get screwed. It counts the parent's income as if they were paying, even if the student never sees a dime. We could do a whole series of threads on problems with FAFSA formula.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:35 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Just out of interest, what's stopping OP from filling out the FAFSA as her mom? I know it's probably not the most honorable thing to do, but neither is hamstringing your child from going to school...
Hamstringing your kid is not a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison. Plus you can add on whatever the state crime is for forgery.

18 U.S. Code § 287 - False, fictitious or fraudulent claims

Whoever makes or presents to any person or officer in the civil, military, or naval service of the United States, or to any department or agency thereof, any claim upon or against the United States, or any department or agency thereof, knowing such claim to be false, fictitious, or fraudulent, shall be imprisoned not more than five years and shall be subject to a fine in the amount provided in this title.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 698; Pub. L. 99–562, § 7, Oct. 27, 1986, 100 Stat. 3169.)

Old 10-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Got it. So...any of you ever download an MP3 outside of iTunes?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 AM

294 posts, read 337,303 times
Quote:
Got it. So...any of you ever download an MP3 outside of iTunes?
Apples to oranges.

Do you just handily have a copy of your parents most recent tax return?
The FAFSA asks for personal info and a PIN to pull the tax return info.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
Apples to oranges.
Not really. Have you seen the possible penalties? They aren't any more lenient than what's being quoted just above.
Quote:
Do you just handily have a copy of your parents most recent tax return?
The FAFSA asks for personal info and a PIN to pull the tax return info.
So, the argument is about convenience and access to info rather than the legal and ethical implications? Got it.

My point in all this is: if your parent is acting like an anchor rather than a facilitator for your well-being without any good reason for it, you may need to bend the rules a little to get what's yours. If OP feels that her mom would call the cops and press charges as result, I would actively discourage this course of action (while pursuing others, such as distancing from the mother as much as possible), but if she's just apathetic, I really see no harm in it. It's a risk assessment exercise, once you break it down to the basics, simple as that.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:18 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Not really. Have you seen the possible penalties? They aren't any more lenient than what's being quoted just above. So, the argument is about convenience and access to info rather than the legal and ethical implications? Got it.

My point in all this is: if your parent is acting like an anchor rather than a facilitator for your well-being without any good reason for it, you may need to bend the rules a little to get what's yours. If OP feels that her mom would call the cops and press charges as result, I would actively discourage this course of action (while pursuing others, such as distancing from the mother as much as possible), but if she's just apathetic, I really see no harm in it. It's a risk assessment exercise, once you break it down to the basics, simple as that.
Fines up to $30,000 in statutory liability for copyright infringement or up to 5 years in federal prison and felony criminal conviction on your record for the remainder of your life, plus any state charges for forgery. Yep, they are about equal.

You see no harm in submitting fraudulent and forged information to the United States Government? At least you have made abundantly clear your ethical, moral, and criminal standards.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Fines up to $30,000 in statutory liability for copyright infringement or up to 5 years in federal prison and felony criminal conviction on your record for the remainder of your life, plus any state charges for forgery. Yep, they are about equal.
From RIAA's website:
Quote:
Criminal charges may leave you with a felony record, accompanied by up to five years of jail time and fines up to $250,000.
So...still apples and oranges?
Quote:
You see no harm in submitting fraudulent and forged information to the United States Government? At least you have made abundantly clear your ethical, moral, and criminal standards.
Get off your high horse. You are submitting true information with a forged signature. Ethically, no different from forging the signature of an alcoholic parent on an absence note when a kid misses school with a black eye inflicted by said parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities