Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

Here is a nice article about the new business building at Clemson.

Clemson business leads campus push northward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:28 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Default Thread Update....

Thought I would post an update on the final schools on my son's list... Here is the status of the schools he applied to:

Accepted (somewhat ranked below by son's interest level):

Penn State, main - business direct admit
The Ohio State - business direct admit
Miami Ohio - business direct admit
University of Colorado - business direct admit
Michigan State - business direct admit
Montana State - business direct admit
Indiana U - accepted, but not business direct admit

Deferred:

Clemson
University Minnesota, Twin Cities

Denied:

Wisconsin

Still under review:

University of Washington

He has received merit scholarship $ from all the acceptance schools, except Penn State, Ohio State, and Colorado have not notified him yet - though they've communicated the scholarship package should be coming soon.

At this point, I believe Ohio State, Penn State, Miami of Ohio are at the top of his list based on their business programs (see - it's not just about skiing!). Miami Ohio gave him a rather generous scholarship. Ohio State has the highest rankings for the business programs he's interest in.

Since I started this thread in 2016, he has determined he does not want to go into engineering but wants to study in the following areas: finance, accounting, supply chain, real estate, and/or entrepreneurship... He applied to these schools as a finance major.

We have scheduled additional tours/visits to several of these schools.

Anyone have any feedback/experiences with some of these programs?

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 02-19-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Nice. Thanks for the update.

I live in Boulder and have kids, so this thread caught my eye. We struggle with finding a location like Boulder, but not 2 miles from the house.

There are a few excellent Business Schools on his accepted list. Honestly they are a notch or maybe 2 above CU.

Have you visited Montana State yet? I see a decent number of local kids go there and they absolutely love it.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thought I would post an update on the final schools on my son's list... Here is the status of the schools he applied to:

Accepted (somewhat ranked below by son's interest level):

Penn State, main - business direct admit
The Ohio State - business direct admit
Miami Ohio - business direct admit
University of Colorado - business direct admit
Michigan State - business direct admit
Montana State - business direct admit
Indiana U - accepted, but not business direct admit

Deferred:

Clemson
University Minnesota, Twin Cities

Denied:

Wisconsin

Still under review:

University of Washington

He has received merit scholarship $ from all the acceptance schools, except Penn State, Ohio State, and Colorado have not notified him yet - though they've communicated the scholarship package should be coming soon.

At this point, I believe Ohio State, Penn State, Miami of Ohio are at the top of his list based on their business programs (see - it's not just about skiing!). Miami Ohio gave him a rather generous scholarship. Ohio State has the highest rankings for the business programs he's interest in.

Since I started this thread in 2016, he has determined he does not want to go into engineering but wants to study in the following areas: finance, accounting, supply chain, real estate, and/or entrepreneurship... He applied to these schools as a finance major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Nice. Thanks for the update.

I live in Boulder and have kids, so this thread caught my eye. We struggle with finding a location like Boulder, but not 2 miles from the house.

There are a few excellent Business Schools on his accepted list. Honestly they are a notch or maybe 2 above CU.

Have you visited Montana State yet? I see a decent number of local kids go there and they absolutely love it.
My nephew went to CU (Leeds) and was in a combination bachelors/master's program. He is climbing the career ladder nicely.

Montana State is now the biggie? When my kids were in HS (in the same district as brown_dog_us) the two big out of state hot colleges were Arizona State and U of Washington. Montana State is ranked #204 National Universities. Not where I'd want to pay out of state tuition, certainly not known for their business schools.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Definitely didn't say it was the biggie.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

I hear Penn State has a pretty good logistics/supply chain management program.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Definitely didn't say it was the biggie.
Yeah, that was my interpretation! Anyway, the OP lives in Chicago, Montana State is "average" at best, I don't know if it would be worth pursuing.

The most popular out of state college at my kids' high school year in and year out is BYU. Many of the LDS kids go there. Probably the state most popular with kids from their school was California, but there are many schools there.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We are big Ohio State boosters, but even so, grandson and 3 of his friends chose U Cincinnati as business majors.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My nephew went to CU (Leeds) and was in a combination bachelors/master's program. He is climbing the career ladder nicely.

Montana State is now the biggie? When my kids were in HS (in the same district as brown_dog_us) the two big out of state hot colleges were Arizona State and U of Washington. Montana State is ranked #204 National Universities. Not where I'd want to pay out of state tuition, certainly not known for their business schools.
Illinois state colleges are expensive. Even *without* merit aid, looks like the cost-of-attendance at Montana State is cheaper than the cost-of-attendance for UIUC in-state. Add in merit aid, and it looks like they give a good amount, and they could probably save a good amount of money going with MSU.

(Plus, I'd sure rather spend four years in Bozeman than Urbana-Champaign!)

Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Illinois state colleges are expensive. Even *without* merit aid, looks like the cost-of-attendance at Montana State is cheaper than the cost-of-attendance for UIUC in-state. Add in merit aid, and it looks like they give a good amount, and they could probably save a good amount of money going with MSU.

(Plus, I'd sure rather spend four years in Bozeman than Urbana-Champaign!)
To address the costs first:
In-state tuition at the U of IL is $15,868/yr
Out-of-state tuition at Montana State is $23,042

As you can see, the difference is $8000 a year, or $32,000 for 4 years.

1. Now I brought up the OP living in Chicago more because of the distance. It is ~1400 miles from Chicago to Bozeman; 21 hours of driving, and keep in mind that's just drive time. It doesn't account for any stops. As my daughter likes to say, "You can eat in the car, you can pee out the window, but you have to stop for gas."
You probably have to stop for an overnight too unless you have 2 or more drivers, who can spell each other with someone driving all night. The least expensive air fare is $536 for a one stop 7 3/4 hr flight.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...9;r=2018-04-15
https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It's ~130 miles from Chicago to Champaign. The stories of people driving Champaign to Chicago in under two hours are legendary.

2. It is February, close to March of the OP's kid's senior year in HS. He needs to be narrowing his options, not adding more to the mix. I see no advantage in going to an average, at best, school when he has gotten into several top-flight schools.

I've never been to Bozeman, though I've been to some other cities in Montana. I'd guess it's typical college town. I lived in Champaign-Urbana for 7 years. While it's nothing geographically, there is a lot to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities