Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:43 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,320,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this strategy often advised for saving money: going to a CC to get the general education req's out of the way, then transferring to a 4-yr university. That may be fine for some students, but others will miss out on discovering exciting fields of study at a 4-year university early on in their college career, that could make a huge difference in their lives. For example, the student you mention got a very generic, ho hum degree. That's fine if all one wants is the piece of paper, but it doesn't seem to have done her much good. Having a huge variety of disciplines to try out from the get go, as a state university would offer, can do a lot to get students fired up about education, and to help them find a career direction in life--something they're passionate about. That can really make a difference in someone's life; it can be transformational. They could miss that opportunity for discovery by spending their first two years at a CC. The student you cite, who basically spent FOUR years at a CC, still, I gather, has no idea what she wants out of life, and has no career direction, it sounds like.

Holding students back in order to save money, or to over-protect them (as some parents do) from "getting lost" in a big university can adversely affect their entire future life trajectory, including their future earning power.

Hmmm....spoken like a college recruiter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 05:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Since you have to be 18 to get an in state CDL and 21 for interstate CDL, which for most people are beyond HS, I just call BS on the whole thing.
Unless you live in RI, it is easy to get the 10 hr RT intrastate routes every night. Since I live in a corner of a high commerce state I can get 3 destinations that are 5-6 hrs one way.

As a college student I was running 4 mtn states 3x per weekend (friday / sunday). We had 7 weekend drivers who were college kids (all were also ex-farm kids, been driving trucks for 5+ yrs Before college)

Cashiering would have been easier than chaining up for mtn passes, but I will leave cashiering for Senior citizens.

Your children and income desires / incentive may vary.

So OT.... $25/hr cashiering (for example) = $50,000. / yr. should be adequate for a college kid. Add 30% overtime, and the college kid will be VERY motivated to find a better paying job upon graduation.

How hard was that?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,997,496 times
Quote:

Cashiering at union grocery stores pays $25; there's no need to take dangerous jobs to make a decent wage in school.
I am not sure about where you live, but there are very, very few union grocery stores in my entire state and there are 43,000 students in just the main University so, while it is a great idea, it won't work for very many college students.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-30-2016 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 PM

102,080 posts, read 107,088,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Hmmm....spoken like a college recruiter....
No, just reflecting on my own experience, and that of a few other people.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 PM

11,573 posts, read 12,590,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am not sure about where you live, but there are very, very few union grocery stores in my entire state and there are 43,000 students in just the main University so, while it is a great idea, it won't work for very many college students.
There are union grocery stores in my area and no cashier gets 25 per hour. Truck driver? Some of us live in areas where we don't drive at all or even have a driver's license.

As for the other suggested jobs, those are niche jobs. Not everyone has the physical stamina to perform that type of work. Not everyone lives in an area where there is access to the great outdoors and has made connections to people who work in rural environments. Clearly Stealth Rabbit's children started doing this when they were young and there were connections/experience that they could use when they were of college age.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:39 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are union grocery stores in my area and no cashier gets 25 per hour. Truck driver? Some of us live in areas where we don't drive at all or even have a driver's license.

As for the other suggested jobs, those are niche jobs. Not everyone has the physical stamina to perform that type of work. Not everyone lives in an area where there is access to the great outdoors and has made connections to people who work in rural environments. Clearly Stealth Rabbit's children started doing this when they were young and there were connections/experience that they could use when they were of college age.
Ditto re: the bold. I've seen the jobs posted and I think cashiers start at around $10-$11/hr. Truck driving requires a special license and training as well.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Well, neither will the limited firefighter and trucker jobs Rabbit was talking about. Housecleaning pays $20-$25/hr., some students do that. There are a variety of jobs that pay well that don't involve risking your life or going to Alaska. I knew a student who got trained to help on a paramedic team, and paid for his college that way. Whole Foods pays about $12/hr. (non-union), but they support students; they allow students to set their hours around their school schedule. Some food-coop grocery stores do the same. And btw, not all the 43,000 students at your local university will need jobs.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:00 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Well, neither will the limited firefighter and trucker jobs Rabbit was talking about. Housecleaning pays $20-$25/hr., some students do that. There are a variety of jobs that pay well that don't involve risking your life or going to Alaska. I knew a student who got trained to help on a paramedic team, and paid for his college that way. Whole Foods pays about $12/hr. (non-union), but they support students; they allow students to set their hours around their school schedule. Some food-coop grocery stores do the same. And btw, not all the 43,000 students at your local university will need jobs.
I'm surprised it's that high for housekeeping. The high end is about what a nurse makes to start. Why bother with nursing school?

Paramedics make $10-12 and up, DOE. Those with a six week course make the least.

Re: Whole Foods-my daughter had a friend who worked for them in high school. They gave her grief about giving her the day off to attend her own HS graduation! If I ever need a PR firm, I'm hiring theirs!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm surprised it's that high for housekeeping. The high end is about what a nurse makes to start. Why bother with nursing school?

Paramedics make $10-12 and up, DOE. Those with a six week course make the least.

Re: Whole Foods-my daughter had a friend who worked for them in high school. They gave her grief about giving her the day off to attend her own HS graduation! If I ever need a PR firm, I'm hiring theirs!
I've spoken to student employees at Whole Foods. They say it's really supportive of their schooling and scheduling needs. But each WF has an independent manager, so maybe some locations aren't as good about that as others. I wish they had more unified management. The mgr at 1 WF store in my town made some terrible hiring choices, and morale at that store is really low.

As to the bolded; I've heard nurses saying that about massage therapists, who make around $30-$45/hr. The advantage to going to nursing school is that you can work for an employer, vs. being an "independent contractor", and having to pay for your own health insurance (extremely expensive outside of a group plan), no retirement plan or other benefits, and nurses make very good money later in their career.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,608,601 times
I'm not surprised at all about the MANY "excuses" / empty arguments posed here (in response to a very simple article written by an very simpleton author examining "food security' for college kids who look to this as a "solution"? )
"Ramen, mac and cheese, frozen food. I can't really cook either, so whatever's easiest,"
VERY sad tutorial on what led us here (195 yrs RESULT of failed US Public Schools *(PS)) more so CONTINUING to fail! Seems the conversation points to a typical PS thought process..."EVERYONE must follow the 'Norms'". Surprise, - We Don't !!!

If you can't beat them Join them: (3) $100k+ US ED jobs
USAJOBS -

Sad indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities