Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 08:55 AM

60 posts, read 59,825 times

Advertisements

I have a BA in Poli Sci and will have my MBA in 3 weeks. I am looking into another Masters programs, an MPA/MPP or Political Science. From what I gather reading elsewhere, the MPA/MPP is more practical/applicable and the Poli Sci is more theory/academic. I plan on working in government at the federal or state level and have 9 years so far in the US Army. I think both would suit me but I like the classes better in a Poli Sci Masters than MPA/MPP. What has more opportunities, why is one better than the other? What is viewed by employers as better? Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 01:11 PM

45,367 posts, read 60,546,019 times
A Master's in Poli Sci won't get you much. A PhD might.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:24 PM

96 posts, read 135,874 times
I'm not so sure you need another degree to reach your career goals. You might try working in the public sector in your field of interest for a while, and then see if you feel another grad degree would help you advance. I generally agree that a Ph.D. in poli sci would be more respected than a masters degree in that field, since it's the terminal degree. But I wouldn't apply for it unless you were sure it matches with your goals. Everyone I know with a Ph.D. in poli sci is now a professor (their goal all along).

I have an MPP and my husband has an MBA. A number of our classes (at different institutions) were fairly similar -- micro and macroeconomics, statistics and econometrics, and even some of the electives (e.g., nonprofit management). We were both on more "quant heavy" tracks in our respective programs. An MPP/MPA is certainly more geared to students who want to work in government or nonprofits, but I think an MBA could be just as valuable. I just wouldn't want to see you spend money on an MPP/MPA unless you were sure it would really make a difference later on.

There are also some mid-career 1 year MPA/MPP programs specifically for applicants who are a bit older and more established than the typical grad student. We had several students from the military in those programs. They mostly went on to work for the DoD or State Dept. after they earned their degrees.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:20 PM

60 posts, read 59,825 times
I'm seeing that some MPA programs have additional accreditation, like an MBA has. Are these additional accreditations in an MPA important or not? Most I've found don't have any additional accreditation, only a few I've found do.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Don't get an MPA. It doesn't serve you any purpose unless its in route to a PhD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities