Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:12 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,392 times

Advertisements

I've heard before that getting an MA from the same place you got your BA is bad. Why? Also, is held highly against people who do this?

Last edited by volosong; 11-21-2016 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: fixed text to match intent and title of tread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
I have not heard that.
Can you cite a credible source?

Old 11-12-2016, 10:45 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,306 times
Hmmm... I've known people who've done this. Usually it was right after finishing their Bachelor's, or they were in a five year program and finish both at the same time. If you can finish all your degrees at one school (and it's already reputable), you want to stay there (and you're already a top student), I don't see why not. It seems easier than applying to another school and having to relocate (in many cases, again).

Old 11-12-2016, 11:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I have heard this as well, way back in the early 90s, and it seemed to regard those staying within the same field. The idea being that you would have the same professors for both degrees thus limiting your exposure to different topics of research, influences, and points of view in the degree subject.

It also seemed to apply mainly to liberal arts degrees. I knew many engineering, CS, and hard science students who stayed at the same Uni for their Masters, while most history, anthropology, pychology students, etc. moved on to MA programs at other universities.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I've heard before that getting an MA from the same place you got your MA is bad. Why? Also, is held highly against people who do this?
The only time that it may be a problem, IMHO, is if you are planning a life in academia and you get your Ph.D. from the same University. But, that is not always the case. Two of my good friends did all of their degrees at the same University (very,very highly ranked in their fields) even post-doctorial research and they were both able to get tenure track positions at outstanding, top ranked Universities.

The University where I received my Bachelor's Degree was ranked #1 in the entire nation in my field at the time that time. When I returned a few years later it was, I believe, tied as the top University in the nation. Going to the same University for both BA and MA certainly did not hurt me.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:16 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
I have not heard this in relation to a Masters, but to PhD. However my experience is in the sciences which tended to treat the Masters as a diversion from the PhD. The general reason is basically what ABQ said -- diversity of education. Also, they want to see that you can perform in a different environment since all departments have a different culture. Broader experience in different circumstances means you are more adaptable. At least that the idea behind it.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:19 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
I've heard before that getting an MA from the same place you got your MA is bad. Why? Also, is held highly against people who do this?
I worked in a university for many years, and it was common to get the MA from the same institution as the BA. It wasn't unusual to go all the way through the PhD level at the same place, same dept., in fact.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:23 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Hmmm... I've known people who've done this. Usually it was right after finishing their Bachelor's, or they were in a five year program and finish both at the same time. If you can finish all your degrees at one school (and it's already reputable), you want to stay there (and you're already a top student), I don't see why not. It seems easier than applying to another school and having to relocate (in many cases, again).
This. If you're at a school that has the programs and courses you want, they why go to another school? The one exception I noticed was on the rare occasion that a grad student would actually get recruited by a program in a more prestigious school, to do the PhD there. Also I noticed that newly-minted PhD's from the eastern schools tended to have both Harvard and Yale on their resume. MA at one, PHd at the other. Those people had no trouble getting job offers wherever they applied.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
wasn't it just so you get to experience other campuses and different setting for learning?

also kind of "trade" expertise with people you hadn't already. You already knew the professors from undergrad at one school. Learning under a different set might expand your views which is what grad school is partly for.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:09 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Who told you that? That doesn't matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities