Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,367 times

Advertisements

I've been out of school for almost 9 years and miss it dearly. Honestly, I feel like there's been a void in my life ever since.

My mom raised me to be a great student, and I've always considered it an integral part of my identity. Once I was thrust into the "real world," I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I would no longer have to worry about acing tests, pulling all nighters, and writing 10-page papers. In other words, I've experienced major withdrawal symptoms since getting that diploma.

The 9-5 grind is markedly different. While my job involves certain things I enjoy (writing, editing, proofreading), I just don't get the same level of satisfaction/intellectual stimulation out of it. Unfortunately, the workplace also involves politics, red tape, brown nosing, and other unpleasant things that didn't factor into the college experience.

In my spare time, I've tried to do as many intellectually stimulating activities as I can think of, including:

- Reading books and managing a blog related to my favorite subjects (psychology and history)

- Taking classes on Coursera- I took about 3 or 4 courses before realizing how much I missed the in-person element one gets in college (e.g., taking tests without being able to reach for your notes, having a professor in front of you to ask questions of and bounce ideas off, etc.)

- Visiting museums

- Watching lectures on YouTube

- Seeing The Great Courses videos

While all these things help to a certain extent, they fall short of what it's like to be working toward a degree. You don't get the validation of receiving an A on a test you studied hard for or paper you stayed up all night working on. You don't get to exchange ideas with other intellectually curious students. (You do on Coursera to a certain degree, but it's nothing like doing it in person.)

I've considered going back and getting my master's. The only issue is that the programs I've considered (writing, history, psychology) would give me no real return on my investment. I got a bachelor's in marketing but have no interest in an MBA or anything business related. I work as a copywriter by trade.

Basically, I would be getting a master's to sate my love of learning and add another degree to my wall and resume. And once I graduate, I'll find myself in the same situation. I once even entertained the idea of becoming a college professor, but my real passions are learning and writing -- not teaching.

What do you suggest I do?

Should I simply enroll in my local college or university as a non-degree seeking student and take whatever classes tickle my fancy -- even though I wouldn't be working toward a degree?

Or should I proceed with the master's -- provided I have the wherewithal to do so?

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 11-30-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 05:16 PM

867 posts, read 722,859 times
If you're trying to avoid "politics, red tape, brown nosing, and other unpleasant things," I'm afraid you aren't ready for graduate school.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:38 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
You could just take classes of your choosing to get the stimulation you desire without having it be a degree seeking program. Many state schools allow you to audit courses as well (attend but get no credit for the class).

Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 PM

159 posts, read 136,728 times
If you don't need a masters for your job, I would skip it. I have to gain one to advance in my profession, and the standards are what I learned in grade 5 in a poor "ghetto" public school in the 1960s. It's a drag.
Since you have access to elite schools on corsera and such, you could just study for fun, and maybe create a local in person study group for more personal interaction.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I've been out of school for almost 9 years and miss it dearly. Honestly, I feel like there's been a void in my life ever since.

My mom raised me to be a great student, and I've always considered it an integral part of my identity. Once I was thrust into the "real world," I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I would no longer have to worry about acing tests, pulling all nighters, and writing 10-page papers. In other words, I've experienced major withdrawal symptoms since getting that diploma.

The 9-5 grind is markedly different. While my job involves certain things I enjoy (writing, editing, proofreading), I just don't get the same level of satisfaction/intellectual stimulation out of it. Unfortunately, the workplace also involves politics, red tape, brown nosing, and other unpleasant things that didn't factor into the college experience.

In my spare time, I've tried to do as many intellectually stimulating activities as I can think of, including:

- Reading books and managing a blog related to my favorite subjects (psychology and history)

- Taking classes on Coursera- I took about 3 or 4 courses before realizing how much I missed the in-person element one gets in college (e.g., taking tests without being able to reach for your notes, having a professor in front of you to ask questions of and bounce ideas off, etc.)

- Visiting museums

- Watching lectures on YouTube

- Seeing The Great Courses videos

While all these things help to a certain extent, they fall short of what it's like to be working toward a degree. You don't get the validation of receiving an A on a test you studied hard for or paper you stayed up all night working on. You don't get to exchange ideas with other intellectually curious students. (You do on Coursera to a certain degree, but it's nothing like doing it in person.)

I've considered going back and getting my master's. The only issue is that the programs I've considered (writing, history, psychology) would give me no real return on my investment. I got a bachelor's in marketing but have no interest in an MBA or anything business related. I work as a copywriter by trade.
I realize this is a factor for many, it isn't for me. I chose the humanities discipline knowing its perceived limitations in the earnings department; however, I knew full well what my chosen fields bring in for salary. I chose this route having done the soul-searching and years of research into my options.

Also, you don't *need* to pursue formal study for intellectual stimulation. I dedicated over a decade to intense self-study/examination in my field of study before I started my undergrad, which is why I chose my particular program. I wanted credit for the years of work and study in my chosen field, and it's what allowed me to graduate eight months early.

The graduate level work I've done is no more intellectually stimulating than the work I accomplished through past self-studies. I know the material/information already, and while I've enjoyed the courses, they are a means to an end.

I also much prefer the autodidactic approach to traditional methods of instruction. I absorb far more information this way and across multiple areas of interest.

Quote:
Basically, I would be getting a master's to sate my love of learning and add another degree to my wall and resume. And once I graduate, I'll find myself in the same situation. I once even entertained the idea of becoming a college professor, but my real passions are learning and writing -- not teaching.
There are many usable, transferable skills in the humanities, but you're right that teaching is a go-to for many in these fields. My goal is to teach either secondary education or higher-ed.

Quote:
What do you suggest I do?

Should I simply enroll in my local college or university as a non-degree seeking student and take whatever classes tickle my fancy -- even though I wouldn't be working toward a degree?

Or should I proceed with the master's -- provided I have the wherewithal to do so?
I can see the appeal to both options. I think the former can offer a very rewarding and diverse learning experience and opportunities, but I also see the appeal to having the formal degree for career or job purposes. In my case, my years of self-study made formal education pretty easy. (my main issue is my knack for procrastinating.)

Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
You could get a Masters in Psych, Counseling, etc. that degree would lead to being an MFT. Or go all the way to a Ph.D or Psy.D. and become a psychologist.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
[quote=Wordsmith12;46359315]...

- ... You don't get to exchange ideas with other intellectually curious students. ...
quote]

I think when you get to the bottom line, these are the key elements -- interchange with others who are also exploring knowledge. That is missing in most day to day working environments.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could get a Masters in Psych, Counseling, etc. that degree would lead to being an MFT. Or go all the way to a Ph.D or Psy.D. and become a psychologist.
Or better yet a Licensed Clinical Social Worker...much more versatile degree that allows you do still do counseling, etc....not to mention the 0% unemployment rate in that field right now.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
I was in my 30s when I went back for my second master's (computer science) full-time. I absolutely loved being back in an academic setting, and even spent time as a teaching assistant for some grad-level classes.

I've been back in industry for a few years now but still miss the papers, the lectures, the projects and the camaraderie. I decided to go back more for the experience and intellectual stimulation than anything else, but I can say that it's also had a positive impact on my career.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I'm doing a Master's in counseling psych in my upper 30s, after 15+ years away from school. I find the program stimulating, and have always loved school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities