Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I’m nineteen-years-old and really want to major in English & Creative Writing. It’s the only area I would enjoy studying, and I’m good at it. I would do something more “marketable” like computer science or physics, but I’m horrible at math and science because I had a rough childhood and did not learn anything at all in my high school years. It would take me years to learn all of the high school fundamentals, and although I have a HSD from an online high school, not a lot of state universities will accept me, since I don’t meet the freshman requirements. In my state, no universities would accept me.

Right now, I’m attending an online Californian university to gather 24 transferrable credits so that I can transfer to a better university. I want to go to University of Iowa because they have the best creative writing program in the world, supposedly. Unfortunately, out of state tuition is around $30k. It would cost me around $110k for my undergraduate degree, not including living costs. I cannot afford this nor can my parents. Even if I got full government loans and grants, which I won’t, there would be over $60k to pay. I couldn’t find any scholarships which would likely accept me, either, although my current GPA is 4.00.

I seem to have a few options:
1. Find a job, which I can’t because my social skills suck, and I’m not particularly good at anything.
2. Get private loans to cover the rest, which I don’t think I can if I have no credit. I'm not sure how this process works either.
3. Don’t go to college at all, which would crush me because all my friends are going to college, and I want to find a job as a publisher or copywriter/technical writer.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really hate feeling like this. I just want to live a normal, happy life like all of my other friends.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:21 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
If Iowa is the one and only for you (I doubt it.) Then research the residency requirements for in-state tuition, pack up and move to Iowa. Once there work, then work some more and keep working till you have some money saved to go to college. Stop making excuses about social skills.

During that time when you are working for college money and time period for state residency, heavily research what in gods name you are going to do after college with an English and Creative Writing Degree and your chances of becoming a copywriter/ tech writer. Before you spend tens of thousands on a degree know what you are going to do with it after graduation.

Finally stop worrying about your friends and what they are doing, in the coming years you will no longer speak to 90% of them for one reason or another.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:39 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You can't go to a community college in your state? Have you looked into Pell grants? Go to a CC and get a job through the student employment office. No one in their right mind is going to go into any significant debt for an English/Creative Writing degree.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Iowa isn't the only option. I have a few other options but the out-of-state tuition is barely any cheaper. So in other words...If I study what I enjoy and am good at, I'll very likely regret it and not be able to pay it off. I'd go to CC but I don't like the community college here, and it would delay my graduation date by a lot.

I don't think I can get grants because my parents make too much money but not enough to afford to pay for college. They will help me pay back loans, though, so even if I had an okayish job and was in debt, I could pay it off quickly with them. My mom said she's willing to take loans under her name and help me pay for college while her and I both work. I'm not sure if that's a good option. Would I really not be able to find a decent job with an English & Creative Writing degree from Iowa?

I could likely get an AA degree with little to no debt. I might just do that until I figure out what direction I really want to head in. Other areas like biomedical engineering or even computer science appeal to me as well, but I need to brush up on my math skills and self-study before I start taking courses.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Study on your own:

Find out what books are used in the courses at Iowa. Then get them through a local college library and read them.
Look up the Iowa professors and see what they have published. Read those things.
Try to contact a student at Iowa who is doing the program, negotiate to get their notes, recordings, etc.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Study on your own:

Find out what books are used in the courses at Iowa. Then get them through a local college library and read them.
Look up the Iowa professors and see what they have published. Read those things.
Try to contact a student at Iowa who is doing the program, negotiate to get their notes, recordings, etc.
But then I'll lack the credentials to find jobs, unless I was really good with work samples to share. Is it even possible to get a college education without going to college?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rid9 View Post
Hi, everyone. I’m nineteen-years-old and really want to major in English & Creative Writing. It’s the only area I would enjoy studying, and I’m good at it. I would do something more “marketable” like computer science or physics, but I’m horrible at math and science because I had a rough childhood and did not learn anything at all in my high school years. It would take me years to learn all of the high school fundamentals, and although I have a HSD from an online high school, not a lot of state universities will accept me, since I don’t meet the freshman requirements. In my state, no universities would accept me.

Right now, I’m attending an online Californian university to gather 24 transferrable credits so that I can transfer to a better university. I want to go to University of Iowa because they have the best creative writing program in the world, supposedly. Unfortunately, out of state tuition is around $30k. It would cost me around $110k for my undergraduate degree, not including living costs. I cannot afford this nor can my parents. Even if I got full government loans and grants, which I won’t, there would be over $60k to pay. I couldn’t find any scholarships which would likely accept me, either, although my current GPA is 4.00.

I seem to have a few options:
1. Find a job, which I can’t because my social skills suck, and I’m not particularly good at anything.
2. Get private loans to cover the rest, which I don’t think I can if I have no credit. I'm not sure how this process works either.
3. Don’t go to college at all, which would crush me because all my friends are going to college, and I want to find a job as a publisher or copywriter/technical writer.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really hate feeling like this. I just want to live a normal, happy life like all of my other friends.

Thank you.
A few things:

First, are you sure your "online university" has the right type of accreditation to allow you to transfer your credits to most colleges and universities? They need to have regional accreditation, not national accreditation.

Second, the University of Iowa does indeed have a renowned writing program, but it is the GRADUATE writing program that is "one of the best in the world." Not the undergraduate program. So, save your money for the MFA program if you feel you absolutely have to attend a writing program to become a writer.

I happen to know a couple of very successful writers. Know what? They didn't go to a writing program. They just put their behinds in a chair and started writing, and kept on writing (and revising) and writing (and revising) until they had something worth being published. So, don't think that a "writing program" is going to make you a writer.

That said, English was my minor way back when I was in college, and I still remember how much I loved my creative writing classes, so if you can transfer to a school with a good undergraduate English program, I say, go for it.

But, if you are going to go into debt to do it, give some serious thought to how you will support yourself so while you're trying to get your first writing break.

In short, make sure that in addition to an English major, you take a few business courses (marketing courses are good for creative types), maybe a graphic design course or two (writers who can also design websites and brochures have more job opportunities), maybe even a few of those dreaded computer programming courses (because *MOST* writers who are getting paid these days need to know their way around a computer.

Study what you love, but also take courses that will give you some additional skills so that you can get a job to float you until (or if) writing starts to pay enough for your rent, food, and health insurance.

Make sure you have a back up plan.

=====
OK, now for your questions about what to do.

First, your main job is to maximize FREE money (grants, scholarships) before you turn to self-help aid (loans). Your ultimate goal is to get your undergraduate degree with as little debt as possible so you can have flexibility after you graduate.

Now, a reasonable amount of the right type of student loans is not something to totally avoid. Federal student loans have more favorable terms and repayment schedules, and they also make it harder to get into serious trouble with student loans because there are caps on the total amount you can borrow as an undergraduate.

So, first rule: A reasonable amount of Federal loans are OK as long as you understand what you'll need to repay, and when, and have a plan for finding a job after graduation that will allow you to comfortably repay them. And, second rule: NO SCHOOL IS WORTH GOING INTO DEBT WITH PRIVATE STUDENT LOANS.

To accomplish rule 1 and rule 2, you need to turn your attention away from thinking "my dream school is the ONLY one that will make me a writer" to "there are many great schools that can help me reach my dream."

Do this:

(1) Look at the English programs at the public universities in the state where you live. Most public universities have fine English departments, as well as student newspapers, radio stations, and literary magazines that will give you plenty of opportunties to hone your craft. So, find one or two in-state options and then go to their website and do a search for their Net Price Calculator. Enter your family's data and see what you may be eligible for in terms of "free" money. The net price you'd pay at your state's best public institution is your "must beat" price for any other school (including that online school you're at now).

(2) Some states have agreements with neighboring states that allow students from each state to study at the public universities in the other state at not much more than an instate student will pay. Look into these programs -- they can save you money if your state has such an agreement. Again, run the Net Price Calculator to see what you'll need to pay. Compare apples to apples -- line up the free money and the self help side by side with your state's public institutions.

(3) Look at a *few* nonprofit PRIVATE universities that have good English and creative writing programs at the undergraduate level. Find two or three that look interesting, and run the Net Price Calculators. Some private universities have scholarships and institutional grants that are added to whatever you are eligible for from Federal money, so sometimes it is possible to keep loans low.

(4) if after looking at and applying to all of the other options, you want to take a chance on the U of Iowa, that's fine. But, again, don't get too caught up in thinking that ONLY one school will get you where you want to go.

After you apply to three to four schools, including at least one public institution IN YOUR STATE, then start searching for an applying for every private scholarship you think you might qualify for. You're a writer, so you can probably do a good job with scholarships!

Once you get to campus, take advantage of Federal work study, if you have it. It will give you a chance to build work experience and if you choose your work study job carefully, you may be able to find one that involves writing. (I worked a work study job in my university's public affairs office).

Old 01-18-2017, 02:27 AM

If you are in California, UC Riverside has a great undergraduate creative writing major: UCR: Department of Creative Writing

UC Irvine's English department is very strong and they have a concentration in creative writing: Undergraduate | UCI Department of English

San Francisco State University has a very nice undergrad major in creative writing: https://creativewriting.sfsu.edu/con...aduate-program

Cal State Monterey Bay has an interesting Human Communication major with a creative writing track: https://csumb.edu/hcom

But lots of other EXCELLENT options between the UCs and Cal States.

Also, if you are in California, look into the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program. That is the program that allows you to get reduced tuition at public universities in other western states.

Some of the WUE schools that offer undergraduate creative writing programs include the U of Montana and Adams State in Colo.

Northern Arizona U is another WUE school for English, and they offer an undergrad certificate in creative writing as part of that program. (And they offer GREAT scholarships too).

You can find other WUE schools here: WICHE - Student Exchange Programs

Again, don't get too set on just one school, aim to keep your debt as low as you can, and cast a broad net in your search.

(Do double check that your current online school is regionally accredited, however, to make sure that you can transfer your credits. You might actually save a good deal of money by switching to a community college instead of attending a private for profit online school)

Old 01-18-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
But then I'll lack the credentials to find jobs, unless I was really good with work samples to share. Is it even possible to get a college education without going to college?
Definitely get your degree. There is some value in working with teachers and other students when it comes to writing. You can read all the textbooks in the world, but if no one is giving you face to face feedback on your work, or what is expected on a professional level, you're going to have a hard time developing the skills to get published. Plus, writers (of any genre) grow from being exposed to ideas and concepts of all sorts, and benefit from class discussions (that's another reason why you might be better off at a community college than in an online school). And, you'll have opportunities on a college campus to gain experience through things like writing for the school newspaper or lit magazine, internships, campus jobs that involve writing, etc.

So, I wouldn't discourage you from getting your degree.

But, your degree doesn't have to be from a certain school. It also doesn't have to be in English or creative writing or journalism.

What type of writing are you currently doing?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Iowa isn't the only option. I have a few other options but the out-of-state tuition is barely any cheaper. So in other words...If I study what I enjoy and am good at, I'll very likely regret it and not be able to pay it off. I'd go to CC but I don't like the community college here, and it would delay my graduation date by a lot.

I don't think I can get grants because my parents make too much money but not enough to afford to pay for college. They will help me pay back loans, though, so even if I had an okayish job and was in debt, I could pay it off quickly with them. My mom said she's willing to take loans under her name and help me pay for college while her and I both work.

I could likely get an AA degree with little to no debt. I might just do that until I figure out what direction I really want to head in. Other areas like biomedical engineering or even computer science appeal to me as well, but I need to brush up on my math skills and self-study before I start taking courses.
That's where the Net Price Calculators on college websites come in. Never assume you won't qualify for grants or scholarships just because your parents make X amount. Financial aid is based on a lot of things, not just how much money your parents make.

The type of loan your Mom would want to take out in her name is called a Federal Parent PLUS loan. She should not take out a private loan. But, most schools also offer plans that let parents break payments down into smaller chunks, and sometimes those installment plans can be cheaper than a parent loan.

The idea of getting an AA degree at a community college is a good one. You may not be a big fan of your local CC but you probably haven't taken many courses there, so give it more of a chance. (If you're thinking of doing it through an online provider, just make sure that the credits will all transfer -- is it a regionally accredited school?)

But I think you need to do some more research on the public universities in the state where you live too.

Finally, remember this: No college or university will guarantee to get you a job. Only YOU can get you a job. For something like writing, the name on your diploma doesn't matter as much as the words that come out of your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities