Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times

Advertisements

What's your major? What do you want out of college? Do you want rural or city? Large or small? Engineering focused or liberal arts focused? I went back and looked through your other threads and to be honest I can't figure out what you want. At times it seems your answer is the school you're in is perfect academically and geographically. At others it seems as if it's an isolated, almost religiously strict, no party school, but then you say the students are extremely liberal.

Are you socioeconomically from the same strata as the other students? Do you have a common background or do your backgrounds not match? The reason I'm asking all these questions is after putting your threads together, it sounds like you need to redo the college search process and figure out what the best match is going to be.

Frankly it seems like you might need a gap year working at construction or in a plant somewhere while you figure out what you really want to do. Nothing wrong with that. There are many, perhaps most kids really don't know what they want right out of high school and would benefit from a couple years working before starting college. Both from a maturity aspect and because it helps clarify things that can get all mixed up in the whirlwind of high school graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 07:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,102 times
Did you find it easy to make friends in high school? It does surprise me that you haven't managed to make what you consider a "solid" friend in over 4 months at college while living in dorms, especially considering you feel you are making a strong effort to do so. Making friends in college seemed to be a lot of about the combination of proximity and shared interests.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
#firstworldproblem

Old 01-25-2017, 08:17 PM

361 posts, read 431,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Did you find it easy to make friends in high school? It does surprise me that you haven't managed to make what you consider a "solid" friend in over 4 months at college while living in dorms, especially considering you feel you are making a strong effort to do so. Making friends in college seemed to be a lot of about the combination of proximity and shared interests.
Yes, in high school it was very easy, but I feel that I had a lot more in common with those people than I do here. I am into business, psych, law, etc, and enjoy getting out and going bowling, to the movies, etc., while most of the students here are big into the liberal arts, such as anthropology, sociology, and theater, and prefer going to protests and dance shows, etc. And the one "solid" friend I have became a commuter and is only on campus 2 days a week. She commutes all the way from upstate New York as well, so has to leave as soon as her class ends. I know I would have been better off at a Catholic, more business-oriented school with more similar people, but I've made the best of it here.

Last edited by xxblue20; 01-25-2017 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What's your major? What do you want out of college? Do you want rural or city? Large or small? Engineering focused or liberal arts focused? I went back and looked through your other threads and to be honest I can't figure out what you want. At times it seems your answer is the school you're in is perfect academically and geographically. At others it seems as if it's an isolated, almost religiously strict, no party school, but then you say the students are extremely liberal.

Are you socioeconomically from the same strata as the other students? Do you have a common background or do your backgrounds not match? The reason I'm asking all these questions is after putting your threads together, it sounds like you need to redo the college search process and figure out what the best match is going to be.

Frankly it seems like you might need a gap year working at construction or in a plant somewhere while you figure out what you really want to do. Nothing wrong with that. There are many, perhaps most kids really don't know what they want right out of high school and would benefit from a couple years working before starting college. Both from a maturity aspect and because it helps clarify things that can get all mixed up in the whirlwind of high school graduation.
I just don't feel like I have much in the common with the people I am acquainted with, and since the school is so small, it's hard to find people who want to hang out and who aren't already in friend groups. And I've lost touch with a couple of solid friends as well, and now they are very busy with school and everything.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM

946 posts, read 774,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I just don't feel like I have much in the common with the people I am acquainted with, and since the school is so small, it's hard to find people who want to hang out and who aren't already in friend groups. And I've lost touch with a couple of solid friends as well, and now they are very busy with school and everything.
People who are unique, need to be around lot's of other people or be in a much more bigger universe to enjoy themselves and be happy and meet others like themselves. I would consider myself unique. That's why I prefer to be around much more people, or live in bigger cities.

Again I would say make a move. There's nothing to be ashamed of. You just live and learn.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:43 AM

554 posts, read 622,649 times
I don't see what the big deal is about eating meals alone. When I was in college I ate in the cafe alone often and I am a female. But I have always been independent. You said you have several associates but you are not very close well maybe you should try to engage them more and you will become closer. I don't know I just think you have to put yourself out there if you want to make new friends or build relationships.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
I don't see what the big deal is about eating meals alone. When I was in college I ate in the cafe alone often and I am a female. But I have always been independent. You said you have several associates but you are not very close well maybe you should try to engage them more and you will become closer. I don't know I just think you have to put yourself out there if you want to make new friends or build relationships.
It's a big deal because it's depressing to me. I owe no more explanation.

Most people here are very nice, but in terms of the types of people there, I'm just not like them. I am a business major, and I like hiking, bowling, going out to eat, stuff like that. They are all theater or science majors and prefer to go to dance shows and civil rights marches and do more artsy things, and the campus is so dead a lot of the time it can be depressing. So everybody stop acting like it's no big deal that I don't have any good enough friends to just call on a whim and hang out, eat with them, etc. With the exception of a few of you, you have been no help.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:

Most people here are very nice, but in terms of the types of people there, I'm just not like them. I am a business major, and I like hiking, bowling, going out to eat, stuff like that. They are all theater or science majors and prefer to go to dance shows and civil rights marches and do more artsy things, and the campus is so dead a lot of the time it can be depressing. So everybody stop acting like it's no big deal that I don't have any good enough friends to just call on a whim and hang out, eat with them, etc. With the exception of a few of you, you have been no help.
LOL, how can we really help except for coming there to eat with you?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
You have a choice to change the way you think about it, though. Instead of viewing it from a perspective of lack, view it as an opportunity to unwind from the day, and enjoy a good meal. You can change your thoughts in relation to mealtime.

Have you thought about posting an announcement online or in the school paper about a meetup for bowling buddies, or to organize a hiking group? Even if just one or two people show up, they could be potential friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities