Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

A master's is also sometimes part and parcel of a career change well into one's professional life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,706 times
I will be 28 this year when I finish my Master's Degree. I am so excited. I have also worked in the same field since I was 16 so I have 10+ years experience. Youngest terminal manager in my company's history, I was 26.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
MBA at 23.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
MBA at 23.
Did you go straight in after undergrad? Or did you finish undergrad early?

Old 04-03-2017, 03:35 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
I got my first one at 24 and my second one at 35.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 AM

280 posts, read 250,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by additionvector View Post
I'll be 25 when I get mine? Is that old?
Depends what the Masters is in. I know many of the sciences go straight from BS to their masters program. For an MBA program you want to have experience. First is that a fair amount of the work is related to your work experience. Second, when you complete the program.

I walk for my MBA in 5 weeks at 35!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:36 AM

205 posts, read 205,878 times
Historically and academically speaking you are abnormally young to be receiving an advanced degree. Most of my superiors and colleagues would call you "wet behind the ears" mostly because after completing your area of specialization most academic bodies require that you get some grounding in the philosophies and a broad and comprehensive understanding of the "world" in general for example, through history or another liberal study such as literature. This requires years of in-depth reading... (my favorite work related task). Depending on your field most academic bodies require a specific language other than English to commensurate your degree...for example Chemistry and the hard sciences used to require basic fluency in German because most of the scientific historical texts such as Einstein's theories were written in German; and unless a student is an extreme case, complete fluency usually requires six months to a year of some form of TOTAL immersion in the language in order to achieve total "consciousness" in that language i.e., the complete absence of English. Before the diploma mills and purchased diplomas for the undergraduate degree, an advanced degree pursuer could spend a decade completing their advanced degree. So, the typical age of advanced degree holders used to be and still is around 35 years old, for real academic advanced degree holders. (Syracuse University's MBA program has an average age of 41 years old). I use the word "real" to differentiate between those students who entered college looking specifically to attain an advanced degree and specialize in an academic field as opposed to those who merely want to graduate, get a diploma and say go to work; or, for example, those who just want a diploma to hang on the wall as a sign of achievement or the other case is the student who merely wants the "name" of the university to impress themselves or their friends etc.
In Tsarist Russia, students didn't achieve any advanced degree (there were none available) rather students were admitted to a baccalaureate curriculum and studied under a professor for 12 years. This made the earliest possible completion of a Bachelor's degree at the age of 30 years old if the student entered directly into the school at 18 years old, after completing the "high school" curriculum, and then moved seamlessly through the program without problems. After completing the Baccalaureate the student was regarded as a Ph.D.
I left academia when I was roughly 25 to try my hand at the working world...and then returned at around 34 years old to complete my Master's degree in Engineering and Statistics. I will be entering into a doctoral program in Europe sometime within the next five years and I intend on spending a good decade dedicating myself to one field of study. I'm not old, I don't look old and I certainly don't feel old in any capacity and my superiors constantly refer to me as a "young man." I know that you are referring to this new algorithmic mode of thinking about age and "old" refers to someone who is not a millionaire by the age of 35; not the "old" that most other people think of as being a senior citizen who is limited or incapacitated. Unfortunately, the college degree (mostly the Bachelor's) has become all about the money in this era and I know that the "break-neck " pace of vanity and competition that is consuming American society is demanding a delusion of younger, smarter, faster etc...But this is wrong. Ten years whizzes by like nothing and before you know it you'll look up and you yourself will be 45 years old---and most certainly telling yourself, over and over again, that "you are not old."
Guardar

Last edited by Countess Capital; 04-06-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 AM

174 posts, read 113,062 times
I'm starting the fall (At 23), so hopefully 26. I have to work as well, and I started working ft straight out of college (21). so there's that.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:15 AM

317 posts, read 239,050 times
i got my MSEE degree at 24.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:32 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
My first Masters I got at 46. I'm currently working on my MBA and I'll graduate at 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities