Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Readers of this thread might enjoy reading about high school dropout Ben Feldman: Ben Feldman, 81, Dies - Was Premier Salesman - NYTimes.com

Of course, there are anomalies to everything.

Let's take some example.
1. In general, office jobs pay more than manufacturing jobs. But there are some technical manufacturing jobs that pay more. They are anomalies.
2. Sex offenders and child rapists are bad people. But there are some of them who are decent and good people who were incorrectly sentence. They are anomalies.
3. People on death row are bad people. But there are some who were incorrectly sentenced and may in fact be innocent. Those are anomalies.

You're taking an anomaly and trying to say that it invalidates a general rule. That's like saying that child rapists are actually good because you know one person who is a decent human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
At this point in my life, finishing my degree is for closure purposes. Thankfully, I work in the legal industry at a Big Law firm, so I've been paid higher than average income much of my working career. I invested 9 months and $9k for technical training. First job (entry level) paid $24,000 (more than double what I expended for the training/certification). Years of pay raises brought me into the high $30k at 22, quit that job and landed at another job that paid more money, spent four years there with raises, quit that job and landed a position at a boutique firm making $12k more than the previous firm, I was 26. So the ROI was pretty good for me, all things said. It's probably even better for my husband. He dropped out of UT, started working in the mail room of his mother's company. Got promoted out of the mailroom to the help desk. Became a lead. Transitioned to an analyst position. He's a company man so he stayed with the company until they laid him off. Started working at another company as a trainer/tech help/analyst. Decided that he wanted to pursue a career as an analyst, so he quit that job and worked for his old boss at a larger Fortune 500 company. At this company, he was promoted from analyst to architect. So the ROI for him was really good. He was always a smart person and he has innate technical/computer knowledge. He majored in CS. So degree or no degree, it didn't surprise me that he went from $8/hr. to six figures. I'm in a different field but even so, I'm doing great salary wise.

That being said, I'd prefer that our children go to college and get their degree. In fact, it's a given that we expect them to go. It keeps their options open, whereas we were savvy enough to get into marketable fields. You are not guaranteed a job, however, just because of a piece of paper. You need to market yourself and be employable. No one is guaranteed anything but death. You need to have skills and put in the work. If you can't do that, then...

Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
a 1 bd apt costs $1600 down here. COL is important
Yep, and advertising "great" salary for the job, and turn out to be the low end of the pay system makes you look like a chump. Just because some folks are on the lower end of the pay system doesnt mean you need to jack up the cost of goods much less housing. I swear needs to be some price gouging law on housing market.. ok ill get off my soap box

Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
You're taking an anomaly and trying to say that it invalidates a general rule.
You're mistaken. I didn't say anything of the sort. What I said was:

Quote:
Readers of this thread might enjoy reading about high school dropout Ben Feldman

Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
What's the point of getting a Bachelor's Degree if it doesn't guarantee you a job?

Why go to school for 5 years , graduate with a college degree , and not be guaranteed a job?
It's a legitimate way of hiding from the real world. Some people become "professional students", other just take the easy step and work in academia.

Maybe these types get deeply indoctrinated into the institution of academia and cannot function in the real world (or private sector for that matter) where studying for tests doesn't matter.

Academia is much safer and predictable - even if it doesn't pay the bills.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
College degree or not it really doesn't matter much anymore simply because their aren't enough jobs for everyone regardless of your education.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Nothing guarantees you a job.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Such a long thread.

The only thing I can tell some people, is that McDonalds gets a bad rap as an employer. You see that as the lowest rung of restaurant?

Well guess what? Some colleges are the McDonalds of the academic world.
A 4 Year Degree from about 50% of the schools in the USA, just isn't competitive.

What you learn, is of course what you learn- but with dimmer students, lesser known faculty, and a poor reputation; it's not going to propel you beyond your level of functioning in high school. Just give you -more- preparation.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 PM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Such a long thread.

The only thing I can tell some people, is that McDonalds gets a bad rap as an employer. You see that as the lowest rung of restaurant?

Well guess what? Some colleges are the McDonalds of the academic world.
A 4 Year Degree from about 50% of the schools in the USA, just isn't competitive.

What you learn, is of course what you learn- but with dimmer students, lesser known faculty, and a poor reputation; it's not going to propel you beyond your level of functioning in high school. Just give you -more- preparation.
Source?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Obviously, just look at Bill Gates (college dropout), Steve Jobs (college dropout), Mark Zuckerberg (college dropout), Sir Richard Branson (high school dropout), all did pretty well for themselves without a formal college education.
Though not as famous, nor as rich, we can't forget Stanford R. Ovshinsky. You've used his invention if you ever had a solar powered calculator (he's the guy who invented amorphous silicone solar cells).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_R._Ovshinsky
He was a self taught inventor with over 400 patents, including an environmentally friendly nickel-metal hydride battery, which has been widely used in laptop computers, digital cameras, cell phones, and electric and hybrid cars; flexible thin-film solar energy laminates and panels; flat screen liquid crystal displays; rewritable CD and DVD discs; hydrogen fuel cells; and nonvolatile phase-change memory.

Ovshinsky opened the scientific field of amorphous and disordered materials in the course of his research in the 1940s and 50s in neurophysiology, neural disease, the nature of intelligence in mammals and machines, and cybernetics.
. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities