Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times

Advertisements

I highly recommend a book by Aaron Clarey entitled "Worthless". It's geared towards young people just graduating high school or those considering going back to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
Miami man, Miami
I guess it depends on who you are dating.

I have worked in call centers, and right now the girl that I am talking to is a nurse of all people lol. She knows what I do, and she doesn't care.

I would just take that as that is what they are after and move on to the next one.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM

653 posts, read 816,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
I guess it depends on who you are dating.

I have worked in call centers, and right now the girl that I am talking to is a nurse of all people lol. She knows what I do, and she doesn't care.

I would just take that as that is what they are after and move on to the next one.
yeah ive often wondered if its just a Miami thing

Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
yeah ive often wondered if its just a Miami thing
It's the thing of any large metro where every aspect of life is highly competitive.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Skipping a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, just lower pay.

Maybe if you don't waste your education on a Liberal Arts degree or some other useless program you might have a better shot at it.

There are no guarantees in life besides death and taxes.
Short, sweet and true.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
College was originally supposed to be about an education, not a job training program.
Which was great until the costs started greatly outpacing inflation year after year after year...................

Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Which was great until the costs started greatly outpacing inflation year after year after year...................
it outpaced inflation because people were using it as something it wasn't intended for

inefficient things are costly, trying to fit a square into a circle and you put in a lot more time than finding the correct shape for it

Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Is a trade really better? In terms of finding a job

So what's more likely to guarantee you a job? Electrician license or IT bachelors Degree
As alluded to in my post #53, I don't know anyone in Power Generation and related fields (e.g., power transmission, distribution, High Voltage Electricians, Instrument Technicians, Load Dispatchers, etc.) who isn't gainfully employed. Again, I currently have guys working under me who were former Stock Brokers and Chemists. Another was an Environmental Engineer. These guys are making more money now as Power Plant Operators than they did in their former professions.

I've been in this field for 32 consecutive years. I've never been without a job during that time. Once in a while I'll float a resume online just to see what happens. It use to be that I'd get phone calls (and later emails) directly from potential employers. Now I get emails from recruiters when I float resumes. Regardless, the point being is that this field has a proven track record of providing continuous work, coupled with a better-than-average income and benefits. This by far outmatches what most lines of work offer employees, especially now a days.

Lastly, the few guys I know in the IT field are mostly contract workers. Once the contract is up, the job's over. I could be wrong but I get the impression that the IT field is oversaturated.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
the people promoting trade school are the same people that raised a generation of children that they steered away from trades and into a college education. Its a little too late to be promoting trade school now. Damage has been done.
A rather absurd POV but, ok.

First, it's never too late to embark in a field that pays well.

Secondly, regardless of whether trades are promoted or not, fact remains that trade jobs are an essential part of society and are not going away anytime soon.

Here's what I've witnessed: When qualified Tradesmen are not found locally, potential employers find them outside of mainland USA. It would be nice to find locally qualified personnel.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM

653 posts, read 816,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
A rather absurd POV but, ok.
Yes, I can understand why you would feel that way. However, from my generation's pov, it is what it is. We have wasted time and money on a worthless education. Sure trade school may help now, but damage has been done. Lots of time and money wasted. This thread is all "relative." If you are older and went to college, chances are it worked out for you and you support the idea. IF you are younger and went to college, chances are it screwed you and you are against the idea of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities