Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM

136 posts, read 128,914 times

Advertisements

IMO, as someone with a professional degree and a mountain of student debt, I would advise NOT going to college unless you have chosen a field with a defined, direct pathway to a job. College is largely a racket.

If you do go and dont have a clear path, go to an in-state school and work part time. You will thank yourself later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,009,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
IMO, as someone with a professional degree and a mountain of student debt, I would advise NOT going to college unless you have chosen a field with a defined, direct pathway to a job. College is largely a racket.

If you do go and dont have a clear path, go to an in-state school and work part time. You will thank yourself later.
That's really the best path.

Go part time, take some classes you like, and work up to a major.

If you still can't decide what you want to do, at least take a variety of subjects so that you can have several pre-reqs filled for different professional schools.

If you are doing poorly, drop out and don't go back until you're motivated to do well.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,611,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
What's the point of getting a Bachelor's Degree if it doesn't guarantee you a job?

Why go to school for 5 years , graduate with a college degree , and not be guaranteed a job?

Just because you show up to class and scrape by doesn't mean you will be successful in the working world. Therefore it would be foolish to guarantee a person a job because they have a degree. You still have to prove yourself. The degree is to show that you have the general education required to do a certain level of a job and often means you will start out higher than those with no degree (this is job dependent.... and is not a universal truth).

You still have to earn your stripes like everyone else.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 914,881 times
I studied hard and got nowhere for it. A degree is only part of the equation. You also need reliable relationships within the industry. It's not about what you know but who you know.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,485,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
You also need reliable relationships within the industry. It's not about what you know but who you know.
of course it is, it has always been this way, and people are somehow shocked by this?

it doesn't matter how smart someone is if no one knows about it

it doesn't matter how much you can do if no one wants to work with you because of poor attitude and personality

all the sports teams and participation points, and young people never learned that one lesson? you can't get through life on a raft of one while enjoying life

what difference is there between "what" and "who" you know? it is both information/knowledge at the end of the day. You can look up facts in the encyclopedia and you can look up people in the phone book. The ones with the larger collection has more resources to draw on

for all the people who go to college to "broaden" their minds, how is it broadened if all you do is look at the books and pictures and not the people around you that actually experienced those things? Sure go to class, then go home, and at the end of the trip, you are still the same as you were 4 years ago with a library collection and no one to share it with

FYI the point of college is not a job, stop treating it like a placement center

all you who decry the death of meritocracy sound like you want a chinese education system, spend 16 hours/day studying with no time for life. at the end of the day, you all compete via test scores and attendance points

Last edited by MLSFan; 04-13-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 12:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I studied hard and got nowhere for it. A degree is only part of the equation. You also need reliable relationships within the industry. It's not about what you know but who you know.
And becoming a smaller and smaller part of the overall equation.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 PM

199 posts, read 139,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Increases your chances, but the risk you take today that you will end up severly underemployed and not working in your field of study, including STEM, while saddled with large amounts of debt that you can't easily BK is much more today than in the past before the Great Recession.
Which is why I question the point of getting a Bachelors
degree I mean some of those people still end up working at McDonald's

If I invest my time in my education I expect to be working in something not name McDonald's or Retail

4 or 5 years is a lot of time

Everyone emphasizes the point of going to school but c mon
How does someone with a Bachelors Degree end up in Retail or McDonald's?

Old 04-13-2017, 12:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 914,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
And becoming a smaller and smaller part of the overall equation.
Guy, what can I say? I am not some kind of deity that can make things better.

When I studied, I seriously thought I was walking a staircase of guaranteed life progress. I was proved to be wrong.

There are a thousand call centers with people with degrees, sitting answering the phone doing minimum wage jobs, all because they thought the same thing.

Yes, a degree should supplement a great career. But it is a supplement. It is not the food. I'm sorry that life lied to me in my teen years. Life has a habit of that.

We need to re-understand our education, maybe universities have become too good at selling their degrees against young men and women who don't need useless degrees, they only need work.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM

199 posts, read 139,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Just because you show up to class and scrape by doesn't mean you will be successful in the working world. Therefore it would be foolish to guarantee a person a job because they have a degree. You still have to prove yourself. The degree is to show that you have the general education required to do a certain level of a job and often means you will start out higher than those with no degree (this is job dependent.... and is not a universal truth).

You still have to earn your stripes like everyone else.
Don't you already earn your stripes by getting a degree?
That's a lot of hard work

Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,485,800 times
Quote:
If I invest my time in my education I expect to be working in something not name McDonald's or Retail
I agree with you, but I don't think people sitting through classes are actually investing the 4-5 years but letting it pass them by

being passive in college by only going to class and studying, how is it different than going to the library and reading the books? colleges offer a lot more than class work, not taking advantage of the other 40% of college has to offer (professors/clubs/mentorships/internships/other students and peers) is wasting 40% of the tuition cost

people spend 8 hours a day (full time student) at college, if all they can do at the end of the day is spit information out of a book, well the internet does that as well for a lot less money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities