Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 PM

10,625 posts, read 5,607,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You might be able to get an incomplete. Each university sets their policy about completing the missed work or retaking the class. This can happen when a student becomes too ill to finish the semester. You might need documentation from your employer about the necessity for travel. Consider online classes for the future.
The OP wouldn't be eligible for an an incomplete at any school that I am familiar with. Doesn't mean the professor wouldn't give an incomplete, but it would most likely be against the school's policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,785,270 times
I hate to say this, but if you were my child or friend I would advise - get a doctors note for stress (which I am certain your are - and probably depression) -and take FMLA time. Focus on school during the LOA. There is not solve to this because if you do poorly in school not only will your employer kit pay, but their records will reflect that you were not successful - it shouldn't matter, but I think it will. You don't have many good options.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,925,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I hate to say this, but if you were my child or friend I would advise - get a doctors note for stress (which I am certain your are - and probably depression) -and take FMLA time. Focus on school during the LOA. There is not solve to this because if you do poorly in school not only will your employer kit pay, but their records will reflect that you were not successful - it shouldn't matter, but I think it will. You don't have many good options.
Dr. notes and FMLA? Junk like this is why employers are less and less willing to pay for education. OP bit off more than she can chew and now needs to make a decision.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,451,601 times
If the specific class isn't required for a grade, change it to "Pass/Fail". If it is, try to ask the professor for an incomplete. Try to keep in contact with the professor before the situation occurs and ask for the assignment in advance, or to submit your answers via email, etc.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:59 PM

10,081 posts, read 6,388,885 times
Well, I won't advise you to do what I did. I was taking a mid-term exam for Intermediate Accounting when I realized that (a) I had no idea what I was doing and (b) I no longer wanted to be an accountant. I stood up mid-exam, handed my half-blank paper in, and proceeded to go get roaring drunk. However, I also subsequently changed to Business Administration and made Dean's List for the rest of my semesters, so I guess the outcome wasn't all bad. (I bet my accounting professor was startled though.)

Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 PM

102,159 posts, read 107,543,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
I am a non-traditional student trying to get my first B.S.. My company, who I have worked for for twelve years, is paying for my education. the only caveat is that it cannot interfere with my work duties.

Every 4 years or so, I have to travel for the company to every field site (30 locations all over country) to do audits and to train any new personnel and make them feel warm and fuzzy.

As a result, I have missed over half of my classes in the last month, three tests, multiple assignments and do not have the skillset to complete my final project in one class and am way behind in another where I'm sure the final will do me in. I have tried to catch up once I get back in town, but just get further behind when I get sent out again. I talked with my work and was just reminded of the condition of school can't interfere.

My question is what options do I have to cause the minimum damage to my gpa and chances to finish my degree? Should I talk to a counselor? Can I forfeit and just take them again later in the year when the traveling is done?

Thanks.
OP, see an advisor and explain the situation. You have the option, probably, to take an incomplete. But the question is; how would you re-take the class, if travel is a regular part of your work schedule? What kind of a condition is that: you can go to school, as long as schooling doesn't interfere with the frequent travel we require of you? Not much of an offer.

It sounds like you'll have to complete as many requirements as possible by taking online classes. At some point, you'll have to take the regular, in-person classes, to complete the program. At that point, you'll have to maybe transfer into a different position with your employer, or figure something else out. Maybe there's a college in your area that can accommodate students like yourself. Look at the private colleges, and whatever alternatives you can find.

But work with an advisor at your school, to see if they can help you devise a doable program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities