U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 PM

1,007 posts, read 858,597 times

Advertisements

Looking for input, as one of my kids is exploring a major in this field. He hasn't asked for advice (yet) but I will want to help if needed. He is also interested in biology, but is no math whiz. He can get by in classes needed, though. He understands that he won't start out in management, but is definitely interested in getting there some day. He's interested in small business, and perhaps starting one himself some day. Where might you start out? What might be good internships? Anyone here majored in this field, and if so, how did it work out for you? Thanks in advance for responses.

Last edited by mgkeith; 05-08-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Looking for input, as one of my kids is exploring a major in this field. He hasn't asked for advice (yet) but I will want to help if needed. He is also interested in biology, but is no math whiz. He can get by in classes needed, though. He understands that he won't start out in management, but is definitely interested in getting there some day. He's interested in small business, and perhaps starting one himself some day. Where might you start out? What might be good internships? Anyone here majored in this field, and if so, how did it work out for you? Thanks in advance for responses.
Unless he is a trust fund kid, and will actually need a job to support himself, consider which majors actually give a student saleable job skills. In business, the major that does this more than any other is accounting. One of the nice things about accounting, is that he can also do pretty much any job that other business majors could get.

He should plan on working in public accounting, at least 2-3 years. If he likes it, public accounting can be a great career. If not, he can get his CPA, he has had some great experience, and it will be fairly easy to get a very good job outside of public accounting.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:17 PM

1,804 posts, read 773,628 times
I suggest pairing business management with something more specific, like accounting.
He can double major in accounting and business management pretty easily. It'll make him much more marketable.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:26 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
He might want to look at a school with a strong entrepreneurial program.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 AM

974 posts, read 425,099 times
My daughter got a BBA in Risk Management and Insurance....very good employment prospects, but she did not really enjoy the work. After two years working for a large insurance broker, she went back for her MBA and switched her focus to supply chain/marketing. She now has a great job that she loves. The college career placement office is the best resource for internships. My daughter interned at Zurich Insurance Services as an undergrad and Lands' End as a grad student. Internships are very important for the experience and the resume. One other bit of advice....my daughter got heavily involved in business case competitions as a grad student.....invaluable experience and exposure and they happen at both the undergrad and grad level. If his school does not participate, he could see if he can get his department interested in it.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 AM

788 posts, read 1,684,101 times
A Management major is a great major when it is paired with a good minor for real skills. Look up info on the following minors

Accounting
Economics
Communication (Corporate/Media)
Computer Science
IT
Marketing
Human Resources
Legal Studies
Supply Chain (This is what I choose along with Aviation Administration minor, Entry Level job with a trucking company 53K with 13K annual bonus. Graduated c/o '15)

Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM

I very much appreciate all of the comments above! All have mentioned accounting, and I think that's a great idea, but he is somehow resistant. His cousin recently graduated with an accounting degree and got scooped up well before graduation. Well, DS sure isn't a "trust fund kid" so I hope he considers it.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,372,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
He might want to look at a school with a strong entrepreneurial program.

The above post is where I'd start. Some mentioned accounting as a major, but it doesn't sound like he really has an interest in going that direction. As has been discussed many times on this forum, accounting is an excellent major for job potential, but you really do need a certain aptitude (and interest) to be happy in that career. You'd have to threaten me with waterboarding to make me take up accounting as a career.

Many people like myself like to get out and make something and meet people. My guess is this is where your son is leaning. Have him take accounting classes through principles and intermediate accounting to get the background that it gives you, but make his emphasis or major being entrepreneurial studies with a marketing emphasis. Electives should be heavy in communications with a strong dose of computers possibly getting a minor in one of these.

Working towards a goal of owning your own business is to me where he would be most happy based on what you write. Any opportunity for getting an internship while in college would be invaluable. These often work their way into full time jobs.

Remember the most important part of business. NOTHING happens until something is sold.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Only he knows what he wants, and unfortunately he lacks the life experience at 18 which would help him get a better grasp on that. Some relevant internships would definitely help, and he will try to get them. Right now he is working and getting intro job experience at a greenhouse. He likes plants.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM

6,944 posts, read 10,828,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Only he knows what he wants, and unfortunately he lacks the life experience at 18 which would help him get a better grasp on that. Some relevant internships would definitely help, and he will try to get them. Right now he is working and getting intro job experience at a greenhouse. He likes plants.
Since you do have that life experience and are presumably in your 40s or so or older and obviously know your kid better than us, what would YOUR advice be?

My own advice to my kids (if I had any) would reflect what kind of person I thought they would grow up to be ... namely, how much do they prioritize money and status (hopefully not much) over a job that has meaning or enjoyment. Or are they passionate about anything?

My own parents just pushed me blindly towards top schools and well paying careers and preached stuff like "No woman will ever marry you if you don't have a good job". Garbage like that. I mean, I thought like that too at the time, but in retrospect a lot of it was from my parents' influence. Not that I blame them ... really. But like you said, you don't have the life experience to know what you want.

In any case, if my kid had no concrete idea of what he wanted to do, I'd tell him to either start figuring it out or maybe go to community college and take a few classes while he figured it out. I wouldn't tell him to go to college with a vague idea of a major in mind because that's what everybody else was doing or or to stay 'even in the rat race'.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by jobaba; 05-12-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or