U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,509,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
The cool thing about Clemson is it is right on a large lake. The two lake dikes are nice places to walk. There are also several lake beach areas. There is a large marina right across the lake and you can rent boats there.

Clemson has the largest university experimental forest surrounding a college campus. It is 17,500 acres and has numerous hiking and biking trails and a few small waterfalls.

Clemson has one of the top ranked college golf courses and it runs out by the lake.

Clemson is near the Blue Ridge mountains and you can see them from various points on campus and in town. The whitewater river Chattooga (the movie Deliverance was filmed on it) is about 1 hour away.

Given Clemson has pretty mild winters, if a student likes getting outside, Clemson is a great place to go to college.
My middle daughter starts there in the Fall and I couldn't agree more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 05:23 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,447,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
UC Santa Cruz is the most beautiful campus I've ever seen.
Far too many banana slugs. yech.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:04 PM

72,815 posts, read 64,258,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
UC Santa Cruz is the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. A close second is University of Virginia.
I'll have to agree that the setting in the redwoods is quite a sight.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:15 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,786,279 times
The West campus at Duke is beautiful...East and central campuses leave a lot to be desired. I haven't been back in a few years now though. I knew I had to go there when I saw that chapel. I lived in one of the clock towers my junior year. I think that was the highlight of my college experience lol.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 19 days ago)

5,392 posts, read 2,854,931 times
I dunno enough about how most college campuses look like except the ones I been to.

Is there a campus with lots of tall trees, ponds with weeping willows, cherry blossoms in spring, red maples in fall, beautiful gardens and courtyards, a decent view of the city, handsome statues, fountains and beautiful brick buildings? Cuz that would be my pick!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I dunno enough about how most college campuses look like except the ones I been to.

Is there a campus with lots of tall trees, ponds with weeping willows, cherry blossoms in spring, red maples in fall, beautiful gardens and courtyards, a decent view of the city, handsome statues, fountains and beautiful brick buildings? Cuz that would be my pick!
Yes, on most counts. The UW/Seattle. Busloads of Japanese tourists come every year to see the grassy quadrangle between brick buildings come alive with cherry blossoms in the spring.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,208,540 times
I'm not a big fan of the Red Square part of UW's campus. Kind of stark looking.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Red Square part of UW's campus. Kind of stark looking.
I agree. It used to be another grassy square, until they built the parking garage underneath. There was concern that the weight of the soil when waterlogged from rain would be too much of a risk, so they replaced the grass with brick.

There are areas on lower campus, below the fountain, that are overlooked by many students, but are beautiful.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 1,216,716 times
Indiana University - it just seems to be the textbook version of a big college campus with lots of pretty old buildings and beautiful landscaping/green areas

University of Chicago- this is the perfect urban campus. So many other urban schools are just plunked into a city without any sense of cohesion, but University of Chicago has beautiful buildings and a great campus

Flagler College- it used to be a hotel and the main building is just gorgeous. The cafeteria is incredible.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,082,470 times
University of Oregon in Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or