Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times

Advertisements

Duke followed by UVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 11:46 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
I've had the pleasure on walking on this one for twelve years now.

Detail - The Princeton Review: USD Has Most Beautiful Campus in Nation - University of San Diego

Old 08-22-2017, 01:45 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
UC Santa Cruz is the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. A close second is University of Virginia.
UCSC is extraordinary for the setting among the redwoods. That can't be duplicated anywhere outside of Northern California. It's awe-inspiring.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:33 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
UC Santa Cruz is the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. A close second is University of Virginia.
I agree about U. of Virginia. I watched a women's soccer game on that campus, and the local fans were very friendly even though I was an out-of-state rival fan. So Virginia is in my top 5 based on that day.

I had a job interview in San Jose back in 2002. I studied for it at the Cal-Berkeley Library. I was very impressed with that campus. The library was awesome - absolutely majestic. As a physicist, the cyclotron up the hill side was awesome to see. It's a busy area of research in the midst of a beautiful campus.

I lived in Colorado for four years, so CU Boulder is awesome with the Flatirons and Mt. Sanitas close by. Boulder Creek and Pearl Street close by are great.

U. of Florida at Gainesville with Lake Alice is always great for me. Home football games give a unique SEC vibe not found even at Notre Dame. Trust me, I know.

Notre Dame is too cold in the winter to be considered "beautiful". Again, trust me - I truly know about that cold winter of South Bend, IN. By contrast, Arizona State in the winter is absolutely awesome. So I pick ASU as the last of my top 5.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I dunno enough about how most college campuses look like except the ones I been to.

Is there a campus with lots of tall trees, ponds with weeping willows, cherry blossoms in spring, red maples in fall, beautiful gardens and courtyards, a decent view of the city, handsome statues, fountains and beautiful brick buildings? Cuz that would be my pick!
That sounds a lot like St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. I don't know about the statues, ponds and fountains; but the rest of it's there.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
What is the top 5 in your opinion:
Mine are:
Duke University
Berry College, GA
Georgetown University
University of Notre Dame
University of Chicago
I really depends on the eye of the beholder. Me? sorry, top seven!
Princeton
Boston College
UC Santa Cruz (without the students it gets prettier)
Stanford
U Chicago
Wellesley
UC Berkeley esp in the Fall

Old 08-26-2017, 12:57 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

Notre Dame is too cold in the winter to be considered "beautiful". Again, trust me - I truly know about that cold winter of South Bend, IN. By contrast, Arizona State in the winter is absolutely awesome. So I pick ASU as the last of my top 5.
To each their own. I visited the University of Arizona once in November and it was 90 degrees. You couldn't pay me to live in Arizona - - and apparently that's true for many Zoners as well in the summer, because they are all clogging up traffic in San Diego.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
My daughter went to Boston College. I think it's beautiful.
Visited UVA in Charlottesville a couple of months ago. Beautiful.
Harvard is, well, Harvard. Classic beauty.
Cornell is beautiful.

That's all I can call beautiful for campuses I've stepped foot on. The others I've seen all have their attribute but I wouldn't call them beautiful - MIT, UT Austin, BU, UMass Amherst, McGill, Syracuse, Northeastern, U of Miami, Ohio State, Georgetown, Temple, U Maine - Orono, URI. There's more but that's all I can think of right now.
My brother was accepted to both SU and Cornell. He chose SU, saying that "Cornell has the campus, but SU has the program."

Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Duke followed by UVA.
As they say, to each his/her own! I think Duke is one butt-ugly sprawling mess. Someone else mentioned Tufts which, to me, looks like a state institution. Ditto Harvard which, considering its 40 quadrillion dollar endowment, looks like it hasn't had maintenance since the 17th century. As Bette Davis might say "What a dump."

My favorites are Stanford (simply amazing), U of Chicago (can't beat that faux Oxford architecture combined with the Midway Plaisance), Yale (just beautiful, period), Princeton (ditto), and the original quad of Brown (not the rest of it, which is a mess). Emory gets a special mention for one of the most beautifully landscaped campuses I've ever seen. Boston College (the Newton part) is also very nice. Carnegie Mellon gets a special mention for overall weirdness, with its truly quirky beaux-arts original buildings.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:14 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That sounds a lot like St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN. I don't know about the statues, ponds and fountains; but the rest of it's there.
Just toured St. Olaf with my son. Gorgeous campus, seemed like a really lovely school.

My favorite, though, is the University of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities