Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 03:20 PM

17 posts, read 11,279 times

Advertisements

I am in the last semester of my community college program, getting ready to transfer to a uni. I have completed all of my prerequisites to attend their school of business but, Im not sure what I want to major in. I am stuck between Computer Information Systems and Accounting. I love computer networking and security and I have a genuine interest in it. I have a little interest in Accounting but I dont think it would be a problem for me and I believe I can succeed in this field. I understand people tell me to major in what I love but, the field that I love doesnt seem to promising while Accounting does.
I want to choose a major that will set me up for job security. Ive looked at the stats for Information Systems majors and they have a high unemployment rate. Accounting does not have a high unemployment rate.

So should I major in Accounting, or go for what I love and major in CIS and get certs and experience while Im in school? Or should I major in Accounting and minor in CIS?

Source:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JLhJHLraA1vZip

Thanks.

Last edited by SenseiB52; 11-04-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:36 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,884,295 times
Could you do a double major? That would allow you to have your cake and eat it, too.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Could you do a double major? That would allow you to have your cake and eat it, too.
I have been thinking about that but I dont know if I could handle the load. I guess I'll never know until I try, though.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:14 PM

12,597 posts, read 8,824,665 times
Why do you think computer security is not a good field? Seems to be more need for good people than are available. Heck if you can do info sec without alienating all the users the world will beat a path.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why do you think computer security is not a good field? Seems to be more need for good people than are available. Heck if you can do info sec without alienating all the users the world will beat a path.
I dont know man, its just that graduates with a CIS degree have a high unemployment rate (4.8) next to history majors. But Accounting grads have a 2.3 unemployment rate.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,547,459 times
CIS. Make sure you know programing too and Network Admin. You will not be unemployed and you won't need to work accounting hrs (often 60+/week) although you would probably meet more girls in an Accounting job if that makes a difference.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
CIS. Make sure you know programing too and Network Admin. You will not be unemployed and you won't need to work accounting hrs (often 60+/week) although you would probably meet more girls in an Accounting job if that makes a difference.
Thanks. I dont care about girls in the workplace, that leads to trouble.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:06 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,257,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiB52 View Post
I am in the last semester of my community college program, getting ready to transfer to a uni. I have completed all of my prerequisites to attend their school of business but, Im not sure what I want to major in. I am stuck between Computer Information Systems and Accounting. I love computer networking and security and I have a genuine interest in it. I have a little interest in Accounting but I dont think it would be a problem for me and I believe I can succeed in this field. I understand people tell me to major in what I love but, the field that I love doesnt seem to promising while Accounting does.
I want to choose a major that will set me up for job security. Ive looked at the stats for Information Systems majors and they have a high unemployment rate. Accounting does not have a high unemployment rate.

So should I major in Accounting, or go for what I love and major in CIS and get certs and experience while Im in school? Or should I major in Accounting and minor in CIS?

Source:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JLhJHLraA1vZip

Thanks.
You are assuming that the two are mutually exclusive! If you majored in CS and write a thesis that applied to financial accounting, you would be attractive at Accounting PhD programs. A colleague of mine received his PhD in Accounting from U of Chicago and ran a number of simulations for consulting gigs for Fortune 500 firms. Was making >$200K in his first year as a professor.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 AM

10,332 posts, read 5,502,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
You are assuming that the two are mutually exclusive! If you majored in CS and write a thesis that applied to financial accounting, you would be attractive at Accounting PhD programs. A colleague of mine received his PhD in Accounting from U of Chicago and ran a number of simulations for consulting gigs for Fortune 500 firms. Was making >$200K in his first year as a professor.
I won’t say it’s impossible, but it would be extremely rare for an accounting PhD program to recruit someone without an undergrad degree in accounting. A thesis in an accounting area just isn’t sufficient by itself.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:24 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,257,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I won’t say it’s impossible, but it would be extremely rare for an accounting PhD program to recruit someone without an undergrad degree in accounting. A thesis in an accounting area just isn’t sufficient by itself.
Would you not say that someone with a number of accounting core classes would be sufficient? Economics and Law both do not require the degree to make interesting contributions and to gain an appointment at top schools. Rare, yes, but largely because most do not think out of the box than many trying and failing.

But I defer...my evidence is purely anecdotal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities