Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 765 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a single mother of now 2 teens and 1 almost adult child now. I went to college online for full time for a year but y children was smaller on top of worker full time dead end job along with the everyday stresses family, personal, and use to be active social life. Well I buckled down for 5 years (4 yrs was part time). I almost finished but ran out of funding with only 5 classes to go to be able to obtain my BA Sociology.

I dropped out of my online classes without a word to anyone. I tried to call my adviser like school told me to do if I felt cornered however she was out on personal leave, and I was not reassigned to another adviser while she was out for 9 weeks. I seen the financial problem might arise I need advise on how to handle it, but there was no advise given to me. Finally got a letter with 7 classes to go that said funds were basically dried up. I would have to pay the huge difference out of pocket to the school so I went got another min wage job and took out 4 credit cards so I could balance the new huge bill coming in. However, I underestimated the tie allowance for sleep, kids, and studying. Neither job cared if I had time to study or even work on college. In the end with me working 2 jobs being a single mother and part time student I still could not afford the classes I only got 2 more classes took and then I dropped out.

What I need to know is how can I get back into my online sociology degree???? Do I have to go to same school online??? Will another school online take me after dropping out??? How do I go about finding out what to do so I can finish my BA Sociology please someone HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dropped out technically Dec of 2016 school considered me non-student after the classes I registered for was up....which made it March 2017?????? I can still sign in to my portal just can't sign up for no classes so idk if I am non-student in the schools eyes or not.......CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO SEE IF I CAN PURSUE MY DEGREE ONLINE OR NOT???? IF SO WHO DO I CONTACT TO FIND OUT?????

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Sorry it is so long, I was hoping if some background was knew than I could get a more accurate answer......

Thanks,
Billiejay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiejay View Post
.CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO SEE IF I CAN PURSUE MY DEGREE ONLINE OR NOT???? IF SO WHO DO I CONTACT TO FIND OUT?????
Go to the homepage of the school. Look for the number of the Registrar. Phone the Office of the Registrar and explain what you have told us in your post. Ask what you would need to do to finish your classes online -- be sure the clerk understands that you don't currently have an advisor. The clerk may refer you to an advisor. If so, phone this person and explain the problem.

If there is a Financial Aid Office and you need money, you might phone them next and see if they can help you.

If the school's homepage doesn't have either a Registrar or Financial Aid Office, look under "Contact Us" and phone that number. Explain your problem to whomever answers.

That is, start with your first online school and try to resolve the problem with them, first.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Contact the registrar. Unless they kicked you out for academic reasons, you can always go back. I hope you have not wasted your time and money on an over priced for-profit school.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
Hello,
I am a single mother of now 2 teens and 1 almost adult child now. I went to college online for full time for a year but y children was smaller on top of worker full time dead end job along with the everyday stresses family, personal, and use to be active social life. Well I buckled down for 5 years (4 yrs was part time). I almost finished but ran out of funding with only 5 classes to go to be able to obtain my BA Sociology.

I dropped out of my online classes without a word to anyone. I tried to call my adviser like school told me to do if I felt cornered however she was out on personal leave, and I was not reassigned to another adviser while she was out for 9 weeks. I seen the financial problem might arise I need advise on how to handle it, but there was no advise given to me. Finally got a letter with 7 classes to go that said funds were basically dried up. I would have to pay the huge difference out of pocket to the school so I went got another min wage job and took out 4 credit cards so I could balance the new huge bill coming in. However, I underestimated the tie allowance for sleep, kids, and studying. Neither job cared if I had time to study or even work on college. In the end with me working 2 jobs being a single mother and part time student I still could not afford the classes I only got 2 more classes took and then I dropped out.

What I need to know is how can I get back into my online sociology degree???? Do I have to go to same school online??? Will another school online take me after dropping out??? How do I go about finding out what to do so I can finish my BA Sociology please someone HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dropped out technically Dec of 2016 school considered me non-student after the classes I registered for was up....which made it March 2017?????? I can still sign in to my portal just can't sign up for no classes so idk if I am non-student in the schools eyes or not.......CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO SEE IF I CAN PURSUE MY DEGREE ONLINE OR NOT???? IF SO WHO DO I CONTACT TO FIND OUT?????

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Sorry it is so long, I was hoping if some background was knew than I could get a more accurate answer......

Thanks,
Billiejay
I would approach things from two directions. I would start out by approaching your local public universities and see whether your coursework can transfer. If your online school is accredited you have a decent shot at getting a number of courses transfer over. Many public schools now offer a plethora of online courses, so fingers crossed, you may be able to make a transition that you can afford and do.

At the same time, I would work with the online school to see how you can finish and if not, how they can facilitate transfer for courses.

I wish you all the best, S.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
You ran out of funding? You received the maximum amount of financial aid? That must be an expensive school.

If you can't return to the original school, and if that school was regionally accredited, then you can finish cheaply at Thomas Edison State University, Excelsior College, or Charter Oak State College. These schools accept 114-117 transfer credits. I don't think there is any other 4-year school in the U.S. that will accept that many credits.

Additionally, the schools I listed above accept a lot of cheap sources of credit that turn out to be around $33 per credit hour. Sometimes, they're a little more; sometimes, they're a little less. As long as they are evaluated for credit by ACE or NCCRS, the Big 3 will accept them almost all of the time: Straighterline, Davar, Shmoop, Ed4Credit, Study.com, CLEP, DSST, etc. Excelsior and TESU also offer their own challenge exams that are rather cheap. People have finished entire degrees at those schools for less than $7,000.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Billiejay
You need to contact the registrar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities