Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM

853 posts, read 641,010 times

Advertisements

I had this question several years ago. Taking into account only education, not counting experience, as for education requirements, what is considered enough to have an engineering job? Associates? Bachelor? Master? PhD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 AM

8,354 posts, read 7,297,424 times
Speaking off the top of my head, not as an engineer, but as someone employed at a company that employs many, many mechanical engineers, a bachelor's degree will get you in the door, but a master's degree will help you climb the management ladder. As for getting the PhD - I really can't say.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM

853 posts, read 641,010 times
Thank you for your opinion. Sometimes, when I am applying for a job through ATS, internet applications, you have to state your highest education level and I feel overwhelmed when I see Bachelor is almost in the bottom, surpassed by a lot of titles I can't remember right now, among them Master and PhD but I have also seen other qualifications, I don't remember right now.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:40 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,683,568 times
Bachelors is all most Engineers have. That is the starting position. From there, after working for few years, one might decide to look at advance education or licensing but these are all later stage in career. The starting point is a B.S, that is probably why a Bachelors is in the bottom of the drop down menu.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 AM

12,581 posts, read 8,812,545 times
BS is enough for an entry level job. Other specifics such as PE or EIT may help for certain jobs. MS will help for advancement. PhD isn't an essential unless you're talking about jobs with research functions or academia.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,114,059 times
It depends on the field too.

My BSCE has served me well. I never saw a need to pursue a higher graduate degree, especially after getting my PE.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times
It can be in somewhat rare circumstances. Here, for example, they are trying to get more female engineers. We recently had an intern with a fresh BS in electrical engineering, and with a retirement toward the end of her assignment, she was hired as a junior engineer at about $70k. The more advanced engineering positions require a minimum of 5 years experience, but not necessarily an advanced degree.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM

804 posts, read 537,649 times
My father makes $80,000 a year with his associates. He would be making more with his supervisor position ( which he was robbed of ). He makes the most income compared to his brothers. His youngest brother recently got a promotion to a $90,000 position. He is hitting fifty. However he was making $60,000. My boss ( at my current slave labor ) makes $60,000 but in my fathers workplace his boss makes $100,000 and his retired big big boss ( comish ) makes way more then that and retired to work in another nation with pension.

A bachelors/Associates will get you in the door period. Depending on your effort to retrain yourself when things might or start to change or to stay on top of things will keep this going. People ask for bachelors even for work that requires no High-school education. That paper in your hand acknowledge the effort you put into your studies.

A Masters means you have the ability to be a college professor in a subject. You can't have C passing with most Masters. Mostly and only A's and B's and irregardless of work it is tough. You need to also keep your GPA up to 3.0 or even 4.0 in various colleges. While a 2.0 is okay for most Bachelors they need to know your study efforts.

A PHD. Doctors means you are a living book on the subject you get your PHD. It is like a MD but not medical. Your above most class of professors and are is very inline with the subject itself from most if not all aspects. If everybody in the work place had a PHD, the next line of workers would all be bums in comparisons.

Some majors only have masters, while others have Doctors, and PHD classifications. Your basically a scholar with a PHD. Your a living lexicon on the subject matter ( like my ten years of going in and out of college makes me an expert of college life and people ). For example I was talking about medical with my grand parent and the MD student used his academia against me because of my knowledge. Another example is when I was in the head of the Art leaders/supervisor/department office and he was talking to me like a human for five seconds before he realized I was a student.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:50 AM

27,230 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Yes

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,559 posts, read 57,471,708 times
Which engineering field? / What are your career plans? / Which geographic area in the world? (very important to know)

Bachelors is enough to start, but PLEASE get your PE ASAP (tough to do later)

Associates in Engineering is a dead end (though there are some decent $80k jobs for demand fields / specialized) To complete a BS from an AAS requires a 'retool' / start from scratch as a freshman. (Calculus based requirements)

Get engaged in your field before and during college (= 4+ yrs experience when you graduate)

work nights, weekends, summers (as an EMPLOYEE, not an intern)
Learn skilled jobs in your discipline, as Skilled jobs will make you a much stronger / profitable engineer. AND skilled jobs can pay very well... (Overtime), great way to diversify your talent and learning's and take a 2-3 yr break from the office role every so often.

Look for international jobs, as engineering is very creative and good to diversify your edu. / experience. Go to Israel !!! (High patent / invention region).

Learn a lot about business / profitability / efficiency / accounting in your free time / electives. It will better your talent and investment experience (throughout life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities