Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM

816 posts, read 1,387,913 times

Advertisements

I really don't agree with this sort of requirement for ALL majors. Are there ways to challenge or petition certain general education requirements? I am all for diversity and taking a world/American culture or history course for a requirement, but forcing a computer science major to take an AA poetry, AA film, AA literature, AA history, etc. course as a requirement is a little silly. I think it is one sided and I'd rather focus on all different kinds of culture, history, art as opposed to just this specific race only. I've been looking at probably 15+ other universities and I have never seen this before. Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,431,079 times
Really? This is simple. Contact the school, explain yourself and ask to take a replacement course. If this is such a big deal for you, go to a different school.

I hope this isn't a troll post knowing the general atmosphere of CD and the current political climate.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? This is simple. Contact the school, explain yourself and ask to take a replacement course. If this is such a big deal for you, go to a different school.

I hope this isn't a troll post knowing the general atmosphere of CD and the current political climate.
I didn't know if that was a thing or not, that's why I asked if it were possible.

And no this isn't a troll or hate post, I just don't think it is fair/necessary to force everybody to take one specific race related course. I believe in diversity and would rather focus on society as a whole.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,449,313 times
What is the name of the university? Hard to believe...

Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
What is the name of the university? Hard to believe...
Cleveland State University. In the link below for the gened requirements, scroll down to the "social diversity" requirement and it states that you must choose two different courses, one of which must be African American the other must be U.S. diversity.

https://www.csuohio.edu/gened/gened08

Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Cleveland State University. In the link below for the gened requirements, scroll down to the "social diversity" requirement and it states that you must choose two different courses, one of which must be African American the other must be U.S. diversity.

https://www.csuohio.edu/gened/gened08
Wow! I'm definitely surprised. Let me peruse a bit more. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:12 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,714,846 times
I would not go if I had to take such nonsense.

Clearly biased, requiring a student to take a subject about a specific race. If they had a choice between the US Census demographic groups, then I would say fine, but to mandate only one demographic group, I do not agree and do not think it is right.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 PM

4,946 posts, read 10,620,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would not go if I had to take such nonsense.

Clearly biased, requiring a student to take a subject about a specific race. If they had a choice between the US Census demographic groups, then I would say fine, but to mandate only one demographic group, I do not agree and do not think it is right.
I agree.

I wonder if the requirement has to do with Cleveland's own issues re: race...? But, yeah, to focus on one demographic group sort of undermines the whole concept of diversity.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I agree.

I wonder if the requirement has to do with Cleveland's own issues re: race...? But, yeah, to focus on one demographic group sort of undermines the whole concept of diversity.
My exact thoughts. requiring everybody to choose a course focused on one specific race is the opposite of diversity.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,014,217 times
It's not so bad. I'm no literature buff, but in recent years I've loved Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (black author) and Junot Diaz's short stories (Dominican author). Hell, right now I'm reading Trevor Noah's memoir Born a Crime and it's a blast.

Pick someone who's supposed to be a good professor. If they're good, you'll get that "alternative perspective" that you won't get in your typical college class, let alone in high school. True, plenty of these sorts of classes are fluff, but plenty of classes in all subjects are fluff. Try to find one that's good.

(Yes, Cleveland is 53% black and only 2% Asian, so that's likely why they emphasize on having an African-American viewpoint.)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-18-2017 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities