Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 AM

50,640 posts, read 36,320,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Going to university is a personal choice, not a requirement. If you don't like their degree requirements, you should go to a different institution.

They certainly aren't going to waive this requirement because you find it silly
^This. I'm an OT, when I was applying one of the Universities required a semester of Organic Chemistry. No other did, just that one. I simply didn't apply there because I didn't want to take it and failed to see the relevance. I personally wouldn't have had issue with the cultural course, cause it is probably easy.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 AM

78,218 posts, read 60,421,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
^This. I'm an OT, when I was applying one of the Universities required a semester of Organic Chemistry. No other did, just that one. I simply didn't apply there because I didn't want to take it and failed to see the relevance. I personally wouldn't have had issue with the cultural course, cause it is probably easy.
Depends on the school but at any bigger university with big-time sports (football in particular) these are indeed the types of classes that were "easy A" for a reason. (At my alma mater it was also marketing classes that kept athletes eligible.)

Not trying to start any arguments, it's just one common way that bigtime college sports has been able to build powerhouse programs to the detriment of actual athlete education.

Frankly, I think the requirement should be broader to include Indian, Chinese, Native American etc. cultural classes as well but I think that the requirement in general isn't a bad idea since it will broaden people's horizons and perspectives.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:54 AM

554 posts, read 622,114 times
If you don't want to take the course find another college to attend. But if you take the course you might learn something. You said you are all for diversity so what is the big deal?

Old 07-18-2017, 11:08 AM

10,350 posts, read 7,963,814 times
I wouldn't allow one class requirement to determine whether or not I attended a particular school unless I knew there was absolutely no way I could pass it.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:58 AM

4,998 posts, read 10,669,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Totalitarianism? From this 3-credit requirement (out of at least 120 credits to get a bachelor's degree)? Seriously?

As I wrote earlier (post #13), there are some more "general" courses that still count toward the "African American course" requirement. If the OP is truly horrified at the idea of taking a course that focuses on African Americans, he can simply choose one of the more general offerings (Contemporary Urban Issues, for example).

And of course, these requirements (as small as they are) are partly in response to mostly white men's history being taught as "history" (and similar omissions). The OP will get plenty of "white studies" in many other courses -- they're just not called that.

(And for the record, I am white, and I don't have "white guilt complex." I simply see the value of learning about lots of other groups, and African-Americans have historically been probably THE most important "racial minority" group in the U.S.)
Yes, seriously. This is how it starts: a college decides to require students to take a diversity course and, because there is little to no push back, many colleges follow suit until it has become a standard part of all college curricula. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see all colleges with this kind of requirement within the next 25 years. And, yes, I do find it troubling, especially since I remember when "political correctness" began as a benign progressive movement meant to foster inclusivity. Now, 25 years later, it's become a serious threat to free speech.

Re: the course, again, I don't have an issue with the teaching of diversity. However, this college is requiring a course on African Americanism rather than on non-white perspectives, i.e. diversity. The fact that the course is required and that it studies only one racial group is problematic. And, as I previously stated, most college courses (history, literature, art, etc.) have diversity built into their curricula, so why the requirement?

Lastly, I never said that you had a white guilt complex, so please stop directing those kind of statements towards my post and implying that I said that or that I (or other posters who see this college's requirement as unsettling) don't "appreciate learning about lots of other groups," including African Americans. That isn't the issue. The issue is that the teaching of diversity should not be limited to one racial group and it shouldn't be a required course.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 PM

10,045 posts, read 18,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, seriously. This is how it starts: a college decides to require students to take a diversity course and, because there is little to no push back, many colleges follow suit until it has become a standard part of all college curricula. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see all colleges with this kind of requirement within the next 25 years.
Why would there be "push back" when the requirement at most places is ONE 3-credit "diversity"-related course (out of at least 120 credits required for graduation)? There are also typically requirements for quantitative reasoning, first-year writing (e.g. what used to be called "Freshman English"), etc. Somehow these other requirements, which are also meant to produce well-rounded graduates, are not controversial.

Quote:
And, yes, I do find it troubling, especially since I remember when "political correctness" began as a benign progressive movement meant to foster inclusivity. Now, 25 years later, it's become a serious threat to free speech.
TOTALLY agree with you here, i.e. that sometimes "diversity" and "don't say anything that could remotely offend anyone" rules go together. But they don't HAVE to, and the best colleges and universities don't curtail free speech in the name of diversity. (I have to say, this is a constant battle on my campus, and I am one of those who would allow a KKK member or Black separatist to speak, if a campus group wanted them to -- but I am in the minority there.)

Quote:
Re: the course, again, I don't have an issue with the teaching of diversity. However, this college is requiring a course on African Americanism rather than on non-white perspectives, i.e. diversity. The fact that the course is required and that it studies only one racial group is problematic. And, as I previously stated, most college courses (history, literature, art, etc.) have diversity built into their curricula, so why the requirement?
But again, as I have now written 3 times, several pretty "general" courses still count toward the "African American" requirement; there is NOT just one required course that ONLY focuses on African Americans. See my first post (#13 in this thread) for 3 examples and my most recent post before this one (#18) for one. And I suspect that a lot of the other courses, even those that have "African American" or "Black" in the title, teach about OTHER groups as well, because race relations are never about just one group.

Quote:
Lastly, I never said that you had a white guilt complex, so please stop directing those kind of statements towards my post and implying that I said that or that I (or other posters who see this college's requirement as unsettling) don't "appreciate learning about lots of other groups," including African Americans. That isn't the issue. The issue is that the teaching of diversity should not be limited to one racial group and it shouldn't be a required course.
I wasn't addressing you at all with that paragraph; it was a general comment. I thought I made that clear by starting out "for the record," but I guess I didn't. So I definitely apologize if you thought that was directed at you. It was basically to head off the "oh you're just a bleeding heart liberal with white guilt" comments that typically arise when these kinds of questions are posed.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:35 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,283,262 times
The course will be a waste of your time. Far better for you to study the foundations of Western civilization (which, I am guessing, is not required, and perhaps not even taught). Spend your time reading Aristotle, Shakespeare, Marcus Aurelius, Cicero, Th Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and authors of that calibre.

My opinion is that making the Black Studies course mandatory suggests that the university in question may be rather weak academically. In many cases, such departments can be simply a dumping ground for questionable faculty hired for reasons of affirmative action and for jocks too dumb to pass normal courses. Take, for example, the recent scandal at UNC Chapel Hill . . .

Old 07-18-2017, 02:42 PM

4,998 posts, read 10,669,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Why would there be "push back" when the requirement at most places is ONE 3-credit "diversity"-related course (out of at least 120 credits required for graduation)? There are also typically requirements for quantitative reasoning, first-year writing (e.g. what used to be called "Freshman English"), etc. Somehow these other requirements, which are also meant to produce well-rounded graduates, are not controversial.

TOTALLY agree with you here, i.e. that sometimes "diversity" and "don't say anything that could remotely offend anyone" rules go together. But they don't HAVE to, and the best colleges and universities don't curtail free speech in the name of diversity. (I have to say, this is a constant battle on my campus, and I am one of those who would allow a KKK member or Black separatist to speak, if a campus group wanted them to -- but I am in the minority there.)

But again, as I have now written 3 times, several pretty "general" courses still count toward the "African American" requirement; there is NOT just one required course that ONLY focuses on African Americans. See my first post (#13 in this thread) for 3 examples and my most recent post before this one (#18) for one. And I suspect that a lot of the other courses, even those that have "African American" or "Black" in the title, teach about OTHER groups as well, because race relations are never about just one group.

I wasn't addressing you at all with that paragraph; it was a general comment. I thought I made that clear by starting out "for the record," but I guess I didn't. So I definitely apologize if you thought that was directed at you. It was basically to head off the "oh you're just a bleeding heart liberal with white guilt" comments that typically arise when these kinds of questions are posed.
It is SO refreshing to hear that I am not the only person who advocates for free speech a la the ACLU. However, I don't agree that "the best colleges and universities don't curtail free speech in the name of diversity", as I find that the majority of colleges in the U.S. are increasingly curtailing free speech (in the name of just about anything), which is frightening. But that's a topic for a different thread...

I agree with you that the options that the college provides re: their "U.S. diversity courses" include many different minority groups and are, indeed, courses on "diversity." Nevertheless, I object to their heading "Social Diversity: African American Experience," which implies that social diversity includes only one racial group. I really don't understand why they don't simply include the courses on African Americanism with the U.S. Diversity courses...

I also [continue to] object to the college's requirement that the OP take two classes from each category because, unlike Freshman Writing et al., there is an overtly political component to these courses which, as I said before, borders on indoctrination, especially because I doubt that students are able to exercise free speech or critical thought in these classes. But maybe I'm wrong.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 PM

296 posts, read 318,446 times
When I enrolled for my Masters program, they forced all students take an online mini-course about sexual assault, alcohol, consent, etc. I thought it was so silly. I'm a grown man, not a child; I understand the law and know what will and won't get me sent to prison. An online training module shouldn't be necessary.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 PM

6,791 posts, read 14,003,007 times
I'm AA and I find this requirement odd. You should be able to pick the culture your interested in. When I was in college I made it my mission to speak with students from races I was not familiar with. Asians and indians were my main interest and I learned alot from them. I would still like to learn about native Americans but I to my knowledge I have yet to meet one in person. I did converse with a guy via email some years back. I would learn to love more about the original Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities