Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
OTC meds aren't always available when you need them. If you have a hacking cough in the middle of the night, or an attack of diarrhea before a big test, those aren't times to go looking for meds! Unless a person is used to taking meds for a particular condition, they simply don't think to have OTC stuff on-hand. I would suggest a SMALL first aid kit of sorts, including:

bandaids
neosporin
alcohol wipes
small quantities of---
pain med, like Tylenol, Advil, Naprosyn,
cough med, they come in capsules, easier to store
stomach med, like Pepto, Emetrol, etc
diarrhea remedy, like Inmodium
something for a cold, like Advil sinus, or whatever you usually take

All of the above come in small, travel-size containers, or even little blister packs. Put all in a small pouch, I like those little bags you get with cosmetics, like from Clinique, or just a ziploc baggie. This is not meant to be a dispensery, just something to tide them over until they are able to get to a health clinic for more comprehensive treatment.

I've traveled extensively with my two kids, and learned to always take a version of the above. I've always ended up using something every trip. It beats running around in the middle of the night looking for stuff!
A correction to my advice----its best NOT to send Tylenol as a pain killer, headache remedy, etc. Tylenol mixed with alcohol can be fatal, and we all know college students drink! Instead send Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, anything without Tylenol = Acetominophein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^Ibuprofen isn't much, if any, better.
Ibuprofen and Alcohol: Is it Safe?

The best thing to do would be to warn kids of the dangers of alcohol. Of course, I did this, and my kids both drank in college, probably more than I was aware of.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Ibuprofen isn't much, if any, better.
Ibuprofen and Alcohol: Is it Safe?

The best thing to do would be to warn kids of the dangers of alcohol. Of course, I did this, and my kids both drank in college, probably more than I was aware of.
I'm not a drinker at all, so I was unaware of the danger. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
We also switched DD's prescription to mail order.

FYI-once your kids have their .edu email, they can register for Amazon Prime student for 6 months free. Mine won't, because they'll just use mine (and the CC attached to it). Check if there are Amazon lockers close by.

Mail on her campus is via a third party/paid company, so we had to rent her a box. No Amazon lockers, no way to get any mail/packages otherwise. Fortunately, they allow 2 people to share a box, so she is going in on one with her friend/roommate.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
24 days from today my oldest is heading off to college.

Just spent the weekend shopping for him. By myself, b/c he couldn't care less about what his comforter or sheets look like or how much extra "under the bed storage" he doesn't know he needs. He did, however, head off to Staples this evening after he got home from his summer job and bought "desk stuff". You know, tape, a stapler, highlighters, pens, pencils, notebooks, a desk calendar, etc.

Have a fridge, a microwave, a fan, comforter, sheets (2 sets), pillows, towels, shower caddy & all of the "stuff" that goes in to one, hamper, printer, hangers, a small box of cold meds & pain relief meds, etc.

What did you send you kid to college with that he/she didn't need, or you found out that he/she needed & didn't have?

I'm not sure if I'm over-doing it or missing a few things.
Lots of info on this thread already...some of it suggesting to check the school's website and this is one very important piece of advice to follow! It widely varies not only between colleges but also between dorm buildings.

My daughter was a freshman last year. Where she goes, there are dorms that have fixed furniture where you cannot move any furniture much less loft the beds and then there are others where you can move and loft. Some dorms have Twin XL beds while others do not. ALL the dorms come with micro-fridge combination and you cannot bring those yourself. Some have community bathrooms which are maintained by the school staff, others have bathrooms in the rooms where the occupants have to maintain them (clean and stock). Virtually no small appliances are allowed, coffee and rice cookers are the main exceptions. So it pays to know what is provided and what is allowed to be brought where YOUR child is going to be living.

Having said that.....my daughter could have taken far less than she did in regards to school supply things. However, she wanted to make sure she didn't have to find something last minute and pay way too much for it. Since she's not a make up wearer or a clothes horse, storage space was not an issue for her.

Besides needing to replenish food supply in her room the things she found she wanted later that she didn't have - costumes for Halloween, a sharp knife because she discovered she loved to buy from the farm stand and therefore needed to cut and chop fresh fruits/veggies, more stackable shelves to store her food related items and a smaller bowl for cereal than the ones she took.

She also needed things for her new found passion for cooking in the microwave like dishes besides the basic plate and cup and food stuffs that she didn't take like PAM, gelatin for jelly etc., but I doubt that's the norm for most haha

She said no for a couple of weeks then changed her mind about buying a backrest pillow and was very glad she had it later. She also didn't think she'd want a chair cushion for the desk chair and was very glad I got that for her.

She doesn't want/need a fan, even in the heat of summer because she gets cold very easily. Her sister, who attended the same college, was the opposite.

So much just depends on the individual person.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
OK, I am going to do a 180 here and recommend one thing that I don't believe has been brought up yet-a pair of scissors! To make a long story short: My family was living in an apartment building with some young couples while my dad was on a temporary work assignment. One of the young wives was always coming to our apartment to borrow the scissors when she needed to cut something. It was an eye-opener to me (in my late teens at the time) that you need a scissors to run a household! Living in a dorm is like running your own little household; have a scissors to cut coupons out of the paper, tags off your clothes, etc, etc, etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, I am going to do a 180 here and recommend one thing that I don't believe has been brought up yet-a pair of scissors! To make a long story short: My family was living in an apartment building with some young couples while my dad was on a temporary work assignment. One of the young wives was always coming to our apartment to borrow the scissors when she needed to cut something. It was an eye-opener to me (in my late teens at the time) that you need a scissors to run a household! Living in a dorm is like running your own little household; have a scissors to cut coupons out of the paper, tags off your clothes, etc, etc, etc.
That you brought this up is too funny! I have left-handed children, and we have only one pair of left-handed scissors in the house, which officially belong to her younger brother. I just ordered a new pair for her this morning.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-04-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 04:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
My daughter said she regretted not bring chip clips (stale pretzels, crackers, etc. are never fun!) and an apple cutter - she liked to take apples (and bananas) from the cafeteria and keep them in her dorm to munch on while doing homework etc. Of course, she was home in October for fall break so she only had to go a month and a half without, but for those who live too far away/whose schools don't have a fall break, something to think about.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
My daughter said she regretted not bring chip clips (stale pretzels, crackers, etc. are never fun!) and an apple cutter - she liked to take apples (and bananas) from the cafeteria and keep them in her dorm to munch on while doing homework etc. Of course, she was home in October for fall break so she only had to go a month and a half without, but for those who live too far away/whose schools don't have a fall break, something to think about.

Just to piggy back this post. I bought my son a box of zip lock bags. You use them to sneak snacks out of the dining halls. He later told me it was on the best things I got him for his dorm.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Clothes Hangers!

Dorms don't provide hangers, neither do apartments. My DD has finally decided to go to college and will be sharing an apartment. Today I picked up 30 plastic hangers at WalMart, they said they tend to run low when college starts!

I remember my mother bringing me about 4 bags of hangers my first weekend in the dorm, and I certainly had need of them! I also had enough to share with my roommates and the other girls in the dorm.

Also, a laundry hamper. When I was a student, I had a laundry bag. I bought my daughter one of those collapsible hampers. If they don't have a place for their laundry, it will end up on the floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities